China Car Forums banner

Convince me why I should buy a Chinese car.

24K views 65 replies 17 participants last post by  fm.illuminatus 
#1 ·
I could buy a Toyota Yaris with first-class engineering, quality, and mileage for $10,950.

So why should I choose a Geely CK over a Toyota Yaris?

If Chinese automakers cannot answer this question, then they shouldn't even bother knocking the doors of US market. Chinese market is big enough for them, stay home.

#28 ·
oo4load said:
My experience with my Chinese wife, in-laws, friends etc.. is thay they love their country, but don't like chinese brand products at all!
They only buy japanese & european stuff.

That's true to an extent. It also depends on where they are from. HK Chinese and Taiwanese are probably the least likely to buy Chinese brands. Mainland Chinese, they know that Chinese products typically are not on par with foreign products, but there is a good percentage who would buy Chinese products just to support China. I think even though many Chinese would prefer to buy foreign brands because of quality issues, they still feel ashamed that China isn't doing well enough. However, there are some industries where Chinese brands have become very competitive with foreign brands, particularly in the appliance and computer industries, and Chinese brands are very dominant in these areas in China.

I think that Chinese and Americans are similar to an extent in this reguard. Americans are very nationalistic too, but they often buy foreign products instead of American brands. This is unlike Japanese and Koreans, who stick to their own products no matter what. Chinese and Americans are similar in many other ways too, besides just that area.

#30 ·
oo4load said:
My experience with my Chinese wife, in-laws, friends etc.. is thay they love their country, but don't like chinese brand products at all!
They only buy japanese & european stuff.
My mom is full chinese and immigrated from shanghai in the late 60's. When I told her about chinese cars she frowned, made a disappointed snort and said something to the effect of "I bet they are junky".

#31 ·
edge said:
That's true to an extent. It also depends on where they are from. HK Chinese and Taiwanese are probably the least likely to buy Chinese brands. Mainland Chinese, they know that Chinese products typically are not on par with foreign products, but there is a good percentage who would buy Chinese products just to support China. I think even though many Chinese would prefer to buy foreign brands because of quality issues, they still feel ashamed that China isn't doing well enough. However, there are some industries where Chinese brands have become very competitive with foreign brands, particularly in the appliance and computer industries, and Chinese brands are very dominant in these areas in China.

I think that Chinese and Americans are similar to an extent in this reguard. Americans are very nationalistic too, but they often buy foreign products instead of American brands. This is unlike Japanese and Koreans, who stick to their own products no matter what. Chinese and Americans are similar in many other ways too, besides just that area.
Americans (and Chinese it seems, from what you are saying) for the large part are not dillusional when it comes to the reality of brand quality. American cars are poorly made, compared to european and japanese cars, but they are still lightyears better than the best chinese car. However, most Americans WILL gladly buy other american brands and see the low quality of American cars as an exception to a general image of American quality, not the rule. More importantly, American cars, despite the fact they are viewed as less reliable are still viewed generally viewed as safe. People can deal with less reliability (especially when warrentees are involved), but very few American comsumers are willing to sacrifice safety.

#35 ·
At least Chery makes it's own engines, they didn't just copy engines from someone else.
Who else in the auto industry but Chery illegally copies another automaker's engine?

here are pics of Chery's 3.0 liter VVT V6 engine
Chery didn't design this engine; the design is licensed from AVL. Chey couldn't fix it if a problem is found. Why? Because they didn't design this engine.

But at least this is a positive direction for Chery; they are now beginning to pay for designs they use instead of stealing them.

#36 ·
fm.illuminatus said:
Americans (and Chinese it seems, from what you are saying) for the large part are not dillusional when it comes to the reality of brand quality. American cars are poorly made, compared to european and japanese cars, but they are still lightyears better than the best chinese car. However, most Americans WILL gladly buy other american brands and see the low quality of American cars as an exception to a general image of American quality, not the rule. More importantly, American cars, despite the fact they are viewed as less reliable are still viewed generally viewed as safe. People can deal with less reliability (especially when warrentees are involved), but very few American comsumers are willing to sacrifice safety.

Considering that I've known two people who almost died when their Ford Explorers blew tires and tumbled around on the highway, leaving permanent scars on their foreheads and arms, I don't know if I can agree that American cars are really all that safe.

#39 ·
made it to the us
or did not make it

if they improve they will be better and alot more popular

Some FAMOUS AND POPULAR auto makers not even very well known in the US and rarely to almost NOT available ...

Seat / Fiat / Daihatsu / Perodua / Proton / Rover / Renault / Dacia / Lancia bla bla

I drove a chery a11( i am not chinese ) and compared it to my Dads 1995 Toyota Corrolla .. performance / comfortable / space wise, the chery is alot better

the only thing I didnt like was the plastic looking interior

my dads 1994 corrolla had no abs no airbags and it costs x2 the cost of the chery NOW . the new 2006 corrolla costs 3x the chery a11 and doesn't come with abs not even a cd-player and not even sport rims .

Toyota corrolas waranty is 3 years - 60,000 KM here
Cherys Waranty is 4 years - 90,000 KM

spare parts , cherys spare parts are 50 to 70% cheaper than toyotas !
and u can use seat toledo/VW jetta spare parts which are still widely avaialble here.

the toyota yaris you speak of , 1.3L - half options costs $19,000 here
the cheapest Contender to the chery is the following :

Proton Wira 1.5L - full options ( Malysian 1992 lancer . discountinued at malysia .. still for some sick reason on sale here )

Hyundai Accent ( 1999 OLDEST SHAPE - BUILT AND MADE IN EGYPT ( my country ) 1.3 L NO FEATURES . not even an A/C !!

Hyundai Accent ( 2001 old shape ) 1.5L - powersteering-a/c also built in egypt

Fiat Palio ( 2006 ) Made in brazil , and its a very small hatchback (supermini ) made by Fiat For DEVELOPING COUNTRIES >> ( ie not for sale in europe and so )

Daewoo Lanos ( not the aveo , the old Lanos - built in egypt ) 1.5L - half options ... ( need I comment ? )

so if you look closely the $8000 to $11,000 market here is dominated by OLDER rebuilt cars , or superminis or totally crappy old cars so the chery a11 is always a winner for a country like ours
price wise / feature wise and space wise .

its the cheapest 1.6 L full featured car and has alot more space than many expensive ones ..

see the point ?
Its not just about build quality and all your yada yada !!!
i dont see any ECONOMY of buying a ZERO-FEATURES Accent for more money ! JUST BCUZ ITS A DAMN KOREAN HYUNDAI !

#40 ·
Found this article on some proUS antiChina site

WHY YOU SHOULD NOT BUY
CHINESE MADE CARS.

Many Americans that spend extended periods of time away from their home country develop a keen sense of patriotism. My patriotism gradually evolved into an economic nationalism.

My rank on the economic battlefield was something like a field lieutenant. A low enough rank to be in the thick of the battle, yet high enough to know what was really going on. I was not an armchair general - nor a foot soldier.

In almost every encounter the pattern was always the same. Give us your money and your technology and then go away. Don't go away mad - just go away. Our Asian trading partners were not counting on many people staying in the game as long as I did. Usually it was just to get your "ticket punched" and then move on to your rightful place in corporate America.

Once you developed a real "relationship" your host would invariably ask the question, "What are the American people thinking?" What they really wanted to know was, "Have they figured out the scam yet?" (I replied that I'm disappointed that they have not. But I have.)

I have seen things in my hundreds of trips and years in the region that most Americans haven't. I don't expect all of you to practice economic nationalism like I do. I drive an American car with over 200,000 miles on it. I turn things over in stores and admonish the startled staff to carry more American products. I don't own an electric hair dryer because I can't find one made in the USA anymore. I also admit to having less hair than I used to.

I will never drive a Chinese made car until the day that our trade deficit with China comes into relative balance. OK maybe after what I've experienced I may never drive a Chinese made car. I sincerely hope that you will join me.

The temptation will be strong. You may see a Chinese made car for less than $5,000.00 US Dollars. Warranties may be extended. There may be a US or even a European brand name on the hood. You might say that you can't afford to buy a US car. I'm saying that you can't afford not to.

#41 ·
cryptonx said:
made
I drove a chery a11( i am not chinese ) and compared it to my Dads 1995 Toyota Corrolla .. performance / comfortable / space wise, the chery is alot better

the only thing I didnt like was the plastic looking interior

my dads 1994 corrolla had no abs no airbags and it costs x2 the cost of the chery NOW . the new 2006 corrolla costs 3x the chery a11 and doesn't come with abs not even a cd-player and not even sport rims .

Toyota corrolas waranty is 3 years - 60,000 KM here
Cherys Waranty is 4 years - 90,000 KM

!

does the Chery A11 in egypt look like this

or like this

and are there alot of them in egypt

#42 ·
the 1st one

and yes they are becoming ALOT ,, in the street i live in there's 2 already
so the QQ , they are becoming the no.1 girls car

And I know alot of ppl who do own it , no one complains , everyone is happy

the only things they dont like so far is the Loud engine and the Cheap interior then again when they consider the price they bought it for , they think it was very fair and very value for money .

i mean c'mon for $10,000 you get a
16V Sohc FORD CVH 1.6L - 95 HP Engine
93 Seat Toledo chasis
Valeo A/C - 2 siemens APV airbags - ABS with EPD
Power windows and Power mirrors
5 x 14" Alloy wheels
great trunk space
large sedane compared to the accent and lanos .

4 years waranty !

nothing could go wrong I guess

#44 ·
the Ford CVH engine is 8v not 16v, although Chery are considering developing a 16v version of that engine.

A11 is available with 16v engine, originally the tritec engine (like BMW mini engine) and now they will install their new AVL designed units.

#45 ·
fightingtorque said:
the Ford CVH engine is 8v not 16v, although Chery are considering developing a 16v version of that engine.

A11 is available with 16v engine, originally the tritec engine (like BMW mini engine) and now they will install their new AVL designed units.

Is the AVL V6 available in any car yet. What about the V8

#46 ·
To answer the question of this topic.

No, you shouldn't buy a Chinese car if it does not offer the most value for your money - assuming that is your primary decision factor.

As we all know, lots of other factors influence car buying decisions - such as brand loyalty or even peer pressure. But for the sake of simplifying things, let's assume "value" is the only factor here.

For the Chinese cars to succeed in let's say the US market, the car must first be well designed and made. That's the minimum requirement for this market. Anything less, just forget it.

Then toss in a super long warranty to ease the fear of a new, unproven brand.

And of course, have the low sticker price to bring people in.

The Toyota Yaris for $10,500? That tiny bare-boned 3 door? If a Chinese car company can bring you a 4 door sedan, fully loaded, well designed and made, with a 10 year warranty, for under $10,000; I would think there's enough reason to take a good look at it.

The Geely CK show at Detroit is pathetic. I hope they never bring that. Give us a new version please.

#47 ·
at Fighting Torque

My mistake
THen the one being sold here is using the TRITEC engine , since the Dealer here is 100% sure that its 16V / SOHC using some double thing I didnty quite understand which makes it 16v not 8v .

#48 ·
you definitely want to make sure of this - the price in china for the tritec engine version was much higher, it should be a much better engine.

but the tritec engine version was never offered in china in the earlier style bumpers car (top one in the pictures).

have a look at the engine - if 16v then the spark plugs are in the center of the engine, down through the middle of the cover. if the plugs are next to the exhaust manifold outlets then it's the ford origin 8v engine.

only good thing for the 8v engine is when it's turbocharged.........

#49 ·
cryptonx said:
the 1st one

and yes they are becoming ALOT ,, in the street i live in there's 2 already
so the QQ , they are becoming the no.1 girls car

And I know alot of ppl who do own it , no one complains , everyone is happy

the only things they dont like so far is the Loud engine and the Cheap interior then again when they consider the price they bought it for , they think it was very fair and very value for money .

i mean c'mon for $10,000 you get a
16V Sohc FORD CVH 1.6L - 95 HP Engine
93 Seat Toledo chasis
Valeo A/C - 2 siemens APV airbags - ABS with EPD
Power windows and Power mirrors
5 x 14" Alloy wheels
great trunk space
large sedane compared to the accent and lanos .

4 years waranty !

nothing could go wrong I guess
Or I could get a used '95 bmw m3 with 240 hp, leather seats, power everything, cd changer, 17 by 8 inch sport wheels and suspension and great looks with wicked preformance. Or a used BMW 528i. Or a host of other used luxury cars or mid-range cars by more reputable brands, many of the cars still under warruntee.

#50 ·
fm.illuminatus said:
Or I could get a used '95 bmw m3 with 240 hp, leather seats, power everything, cd changer, 17 by 8 inch sport wheels and suspension and great looks with wicked preformance. Or a used BMW 528i. Or a host of other used luxury cars or mid-range cars by more reputable brands, many of the cars still under warruntee.

WTF are you talking about, That dude lives in Egypt, you can't buy a used 95 bmw M3 in egypt. And even if you buy one in the US the car will break down. The reason most people sell their used cars in the first place is because their cars already have hugh problems and likely will break down, you'll end up calling a tow truck before you drive your car home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.