China Car Forums banner

New Road Crash Tests in China - C-NCAP news

3M views 216 replies 70 participants last post by  Cpt35 
#1 ·

The first truly independent road crash tests in China will begin 29th August with the Nissan X-Trail Sports Utility Vehicle the first car to undergo a trial smash. The new system was consistent with the international New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) and the test vehicles would be bought by the testing organization on the market rather than supplied by the manufacturer as was previously the case.

The Beijing Daily reported on Tuesday that the Chinese NCAP would be undertaken by the Beijing-based China Automotive Technology and Research Center, a body involved in setting national automotive standards. Liu Yuguang, director of the center's crash test laboratory, was quoted as saying that the center had bought six different vehicle models on the market for testing purposes.

The first test, on the Nissan X-Trail produced by Dongfeng Automobile Co. in Central China's Hubei Province, was expected to take place on Aug. 29, he said. By mid-October, the center would have completed tests on at least four models and published the test results, Liu said. With experience gained from crash tests on 1,200 vehicles since 1999 and the acquisition of new equipment in 2005, the center was proficient in international NCAP standards.

Liu said the new crash tests would be more objective and independent as all the costs would be borne by the center. The testing process and results would be open to the public. In the past, vehicles were brought to the laboratory by manufacturers and carmakers had no obligation to publish the results. The center planned to issue test results on 10 to 15 vehicles every year, Liu said.

Source: Xinhua

See less See more
#208 ·
Look at my page Dragin: http://www.chinesecars.net/free-information/crash-tests
I am not up to date, I have to add: Luxgen Da6 SUV, FAW Besturn B70, Dongfeng Fengshen A30, Beijing Shenbao D60, Changan CS75, Tianjin-FAW D60 Jumper, Chery Tiggo 5, Haima M5, JAC S3, Geely GX9, MG GT (6), Guangzhou Trumpchi GA6, Dongfeng Fengshen AX7, Jinbei S30 and Qoros 3 Sedan. This is all there is.

#209 ·
Thank you Laofan for the quick response.
I was aware of those older tests, as well as the Russian test which gives similar results.
And so I thought that Geely, now under pressure to fulfill an image of safety, would have re-engineered the vehicle with a plan to acquire a five star rating ,following re-testing. But my inquiry so far shows that new CK's have not improved, and therefore are no more safe than the earliest version. I wish that I was wrong.
As for the other models that you cited, I can tell you that the JAC S3 Refine recently received a five star rating from C-NCAP, according to automotiveworld.com. The CS75 also received a five star rating according to the Chang'an website.

#216 ·
The initiation of independent road crash tests in China, starting with the Nissan X-Trail SUV on August 29, signifies a pivotal shift toward enhanced vehicle safety evaluation. Aligning with international standards like the New Car Assessment Program (NCAP), this unbiased testing approach ensures objectivity by procuring test vehicles directly from the market, rather than relying on manufacturer-supplied units. Anticipated outcomes include a more transparent and rigorous evaluation of vehicle safety, fostering consumer confidence. This approach may catalyze industry-wide improvements in safety standards, influencing manufacturers to prioritize robust safety features in response to real-world testing results.