China Car Forums banner

New Road Crash Tests in China - C-NCAP news

3M views 216 replies 70 participants last post by  Cpt35 
#1 ·

The first truly independent road crash tests in China will begin 29th August with the Nissan X-Trail Sports Utility Vehicle the first car to undergo a trial smash. The new system was consistent with the international New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) and the test vehicles would be bought by the testing organization on the market rather than supplied by the manufacturer as was previously the case.

The Beijing Daily reported on Tuesday that the Chinese NCAP would be undertaken by the Beijing-based China Automotive Technology and Research Center, a body involved in setting national automotive standards. Liu Yuguang, director of the center's crash test laboratory, was quoted as saying that the center had bought six different vehicle models on the market for testing purposes.

The first test, on the Nissan X-Trail produced by Dongfeng Automobile Co. in Central China's Hubei Province, was expected to take place on Aug. 29, he said. By mid-October, the center would have completed tests on at least four models and published the test results, Liu said. With experience gained from crash tests on 1,200 vehicles since 1999 and the acquisition of new equipment in 2005, the center was proficient in international NCAP standards.

Liu said the new crash tests would be more objective and independent as all the costs would be borne by the center. The testing process and results would be open to the public. In the past, vehicles were brought to the laboratory by manufacturers and carmakers had no obligation to publish the results. The center planned to issue test results on 10 to 15 vehicles every year, Liu said.

Source: Xinhua

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Not True:

Australia's ANCAP tests foreign cars & the Holden Barina a rebadged Daewoo Kalos sucked and only got 2 stars.

&

Toyota was the 1st Manufacturer to lose a star in ANCAP with the previous Toyota Echo it was a 3 or 4 star rating then Toyota renmoved an airbag and it became a 2 or 3 star rating once ANCAP renewed testing of Echo.

#10 ·
Why don't they test chinese cars? Well I can show you what would have happened if they had tested a Golf MK2 platform car like flag/windcloud or FAW-Jetta. A few years ago the austrian motoring organisation tested a Golf2...

The test opens with "Attention: life threatening danger!" and explains you basically have no chance of surviving a (NCAP standard) crash.

Here's the video: http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/crashtest_kaefer_golf/videos/golf2_video.mpg

Personally I don't think they will test cars based on these old platforms.

#13 ·
#20 ·
FAW Weizi 3star

"Yuyuan" Suzuki Swift: 4star

BYD F3 3star

New Hyundai Excel 3 star
http://www.c-ncap.org/content/pzjg/Alcyc/yakunte.htm

Geely MR7131A 2star (really low side impact score)
http://www.c-ncap.org/content/pzjg/Alcyc/jilizyj.htm

Dazhong FV7166 Polo sedan 4star
http://www.c-ncap.org/content/pzjg/Alcyc/yiqisuteng.htm

GWM Hover 3star (didn't I read a "4star EU NCAP score" somewhere?? ;) ) After an independent test it appears it's not so hot. :lol:
http://www.c-ncap.org/content/pzjg/suv/hafu.htm

#22 ·
CAUTION: Test results might be tampered with

my husband and i have been in china for many years. we should know how the chinese work.

one thing that you must be wary of is the fact that almost anything can be faked. in this case some of the results logged by the Chinese NCAP could be tampered with.

the chinese car manufacturers just have to bribe those who are directly responsible for the test results.

do you remember the case of the drug chief who was executed 2 weeks ago for massive corruption? during his tenure as chief of the national drug administration, he approved more than 11,000 kinds of drugs, some of which led to violent deaths in patients.

i would rather take the results released by the Chinese NCAP with a large pinch of salt. such results should be verified against those released by reputable organizations in europe, australia or the US

#23 ·
Bribes happen in any country, it's not unique to China. Some countries do a better job at "hiding" the bribes, some are less advanced in the bribing techniques, that's the only difference. Name me a country that never had problems with bribes???

At least China is doing something about it. The drug guy got executed for crying out loud. Can you get more harsh on the punishments?

#24 · (Edited)
I think Wendy got the point, and in the end of the day, for Chinese automakers to make it on world stage, they will need to go through european, and american crash tests. Ofc people have the rights to have doubts. And I believe passing or not passing Chinese crash test is really not that important, but passing the european and the american crash test is really important for any carmakers that want to have worldwide reputation. So we are waiting for Chery A6 and A6CC performance in european crash test soon and hope that they will pass with at least 3 or 4 stars (with my finger crossed)

But Wendy I think you are missing out something, I think crash tests will always have to come with pictures as evidence. Can anyone tell me please ,do foreign inspectors need to be at the scene during the n-ncap tests or just Chinese inspectors ?

#26 ·
Latest results from C-NCAP:

Dongfeng-Nissan Teana:

score: 47,4 p
star: 5

Chang'an-Ford Focus:

score: 45,4
star: 4

Dongfeng-Honda Civic:

score: 44,5

FAW Besturm:

score: 40,2

Dongfeng-Yueda-Kia Cerato:

score: 33,1
star: 3

Haima Family:

score: 32,3
star: 3

SAIC-GM-Wuling Spark:

score: 27,2
star: 2

#27 ·
Car-safety tests provide home run

"CHINESE home-brand models are proving more reliable, with enhanced ratings in the latest domestic crash tests. The national official vehicle laboratory, the China Automotive Technology and Research Center, gave four stars to the Besturn sedan, China first self-branded model made by First Automotive Works Group. The announcement was made on Thursday in a statement posted on the CATRC Website.

This compared to a two-star assessment, the lowest rating, given to the Free Cruiser sedan, developed by Geely Holdings Group, and three stars to the A5 sedan made by Chery Automobile Co Ltd and the F3 sedan made by BYD Automobile Co Ltd in the same assessment program last year. The relative low ratings on China self-developed models once caused public concerns over quality issues during a time when national car makers were planing to break into more mature markets in their overseas ventures. All the test results were subject to the Chinese version of the New Car Assessment Program, an independent vehicle-assessment scheme that is similar to Euro-NCAP.

The national standard, launched last July, gave safety ratings on how passengers are protected after undergoing front, side and rear-end collisions. It is quite encouraging that Chinese-branded models are improving their safety standards after increased investment, said Jia Xinguang, an auto expert in Beijing. Zhao Hang, director of the CATRC, said that Chinese car makers need more efforts on equipment like airbags compar ed with foreign rivals in the same segment.

Nissan Teana premier sedan and Ford Focus economy car achieved the top five-star ratings and the institute gave four stars to Honda Civic. Zhang said compact cars are still generally short on quality and need further attention.

In the same series of tests, Shanghai-GM-Wuling Spark subcompact won two stars while Kia Cerato and Haima Family, developed on a Mazda model, achieved three. Brilliance Zunchi sedan, which has launched mass exports to Germany, suffered from bad ratings in crash tests in Europe last month. The car maker said the failure was a ruse by rivals to damage its brand image.

The introduction of C-NCAP, which imposes stricter requirements than the existing national crash tests before models are produced, aims to lift the awareness of auto safety and encourage car makers to improve technology."

- China Daily -