China Car Forums banner

New Road Crash Tests in China - C-NCAP news

3M views 216 replies 70 participants last post by  Cpt35 
#1 ·

The first truly independent road crash tests in China will begin 29th August with the Nissan X-Trail Sports Utility Vehicle the first car to undergo a trial smash. The new system was consistent with the international New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) and the test vehicles would be bought by the testing organization on the market rather than supplied by the manufacturer as was previously the case.

The Beijing Daily reported on Tuesday that the Chinese NCAP would be undertaken by the Beijing-based China Automotive Technology and Research Center, a body involved in setting national automotive standards. Liu Yuguang, director of the center's crash test laboratory, was quoted as saying that the center had bought six different vehicle models on the market for testing purposes.

The first test, on the Nissan X-Trail produced by Dongfeng Automobile Co. in Central China's Hubei Province, was expected to take place on Aug. 29, he said. By mid-October, the center would have completed tests on at least four models and published the test results, Liu said. With experience gained from crash tests on 1,200 vehicles since 1999 and the acquisition of new equipment in 2005, the center was proficient in international NCAP standards.

Liu said the new crash tests would be more objective and independent as all the costs would be borne by the center. The testing process and results would be open to the public. In the past, vehicles were brought to the laboratory by manufacturers and carmakers had no obligation to publish the results. The center planned to issue test results on 10 to 15 vehicles every year, Liu said.

Source: Xinhua

See less See more
#57 ·
It is a Mitsubishi Lancer. Soueast Dongnan is Mitsubishi's joint-venture company and as from 2005 model year Soueast cars have been sold as Mitsubishi's (with a Mitsubishi diamond).

#61 ·
martin_krpan said:
Raul, great pics. But how did those cars perform at C-NCAP? How many stars did they receive?
I couldn't find anything in english from C-NCAP website

http://www.c-ncap.org/

You can check it too if you have a better luck. Some test results can be found from page 3 in this thread.

--------------------------------

Chang'an-Suzuki Liana tested

#65 ·
I think C-NCAP will publish the crash test results at January 7th with the last tested cars: the Zhonghua Junjie (Brilliance BS4), the Suzuki Liana, the Chang'an CV6 (Ben Ben), the Honda CR-V and the Hafei Lubao (Lobo), they did it in the same way in October.
PDF-file about these six cars in Chinese: http://www.c-ncap.org/news/zxdt/071229.pdf

Hafei Lubao:

Source: http://www.c-ncap.org.cn/

#69 ·
daewoo-chevrolet said:
I have updated the list with all the new results and some results I was forgotten the previous time. The results of the Chinese cars are really disappointing me. I like the styling of the Ben Ben a lot, but the crash test results is poor.

It seems like Chery and Brilliance still have alot to do with the quality control until they can score 50 points in C- Ncap then we can safely say that they will perform well in Euro Ncap.

#71 ·
it's quite interesting to see that hyundai accent has such low points comparison to Honda fit. I'm not saying accent is safer than fit..just thought it's closer than the one showing on the list..

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2006&make=Hyundai&model=Accent

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=2007&make=Honda&model=Fit

And I guess....A5,Hover,lioncel,Fashion doesn't have problem to enter US market at least for the safety aspect then the last thing to fix should be the emission. It means the day to enter US market should be very close. Good work..

#73 ·
mememe said:
Chang'an Ben Ben 2 stars , tjhis can't be serious. Looking at other pics of Ben Ben crash, one can see that Ben Ben outperformed Lobo.
No you can't see it. You have to feel it. It's not about which car has a seemingly stronger body, it about which car protects and cushions the occupants. The BenBen has a very rigid front that hardly crumples. Instead the steering wheel and dashboard are moved backwards with the driver slamming head first into it. That's why it got a bad score. The lobo has a softer front and it absorbs most of the energy before reaching the dashboard.

#74 ·
Hello i'm from mexico and since the last month there's been a lot of controversy about the FAW industry entering the country. Many people claim those cars do not pass the crash tests so they are absolutely unreliable.
I've been searching on the net but i cannot find any official information that supports this or gives me an official answers.
Can anybody help me on this?

#75 · (Edited)
Those people want to paint everything with the same big brush. Just because Brilliance BS6 and Chery Amulet do not pass crash tests, that does not mean other Chinese cars can't do well in crash test, take the BYD F3 for example, it passes crash test.

Btw I heard that the arrival of Chinese cars is being welcomed by positive comments from Mexican media

#76 ·
Yes Chinese brands are making improvements on their most recently released small family cars / SUV models, however all cars that were released more than ~2 years ago are basically death traps. And the smaller city cars are often also still a danger for the occupants.

So far in the "seemingly OK" category we have:
BYD F3
Lifan 520
Chery A3/A5
FAW Benteng
GWM Hover
Shuanghuan CEO
Brilliance BS6 EU spec.

Maybe I forgot one or two, but thats about it.