China Car Forums banner

spyshot of China Rover75

30K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  tchayton 
#1 ·
pay attention that this Rover model is made by SAIC(shanghai automobile industry company)

See less See more
#8 ·
After some discussion over on mg-rover.org, the conclusion is that this Rover car was made by MG-Rover in the UK and is being used by SAIC for testing of their engine/suspension developments.

The SAIC built Rover 75's will be 100mm longer than this one - half way to this Rover 75 Limo:

#16 · (Edited)
Nanjing own the Powertrain K Series V6 engines. The car on the right should have this engine. When built at MG Rover UK they where 190bhp and front wheel drive on the Rover 75, I expect the Nanjing cars will use this engine.

That car has the front grill for a Rover 75 V8 so should be fitted with the 4.6litre Ford Mustang engine with 260Ps and have rear wheel drive.

The car with the tape is a SAIC car. I don't know what engine they have.

#18 ·
MG-Rover used to buy the Ford V8 engines from Ford so maybe Nanjing or SAIC can do the same?

SAIC apparently bought rights to build some of the Rover engines so they could build them but have they got a factory / production equipment to do so? I don't know the answer.​

#20 ·
Nanqi's engines

Malaysia’s Petronas and Nanjing will together evaluate and develop engines in the 1.8- to 2.2-litre range for the Chinese car maker's (MG Rover) vehicle platforms, Petronas said. The firms will use the E01 technology developed by Petronas, which results in a compact engine that can be fitted into different vehicle platforms…..

Nanjing and Brilliant Culture Group, (a Chinese??) marketing and government relations consulting firm, will jointly invest in manufacturing facilities for the engine.

#23 ·
Its a good engine. Its chief designer Osamu Goto worked for Honda and then the Ferrari Formula 1 team before designing the E01. If Nanqi are going to produce sports cars then they have good reason to be interested in it.

Its not well proven though which may explain why the press article talked about technology rather than the actual engine. Its probably also a bit expensive to produce which is why Proton never took it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.