China Car Forums banner

Hawtai (Huatai) Santa Fe and Terracan

64K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  CCF mod 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)

Attachments

#6 ·
JAC version of Hyundai Santa Fe

I was just at the local JAC dealer and they had a JAC version of a Santa Fe. It had only the JAC name on the grill and a star logo on hatch and did not say Santa Fe. Does anyone know if this is the exact same as the Hyundai Santa Fe? The price was much better than the Hyundai at about 144000 RMB with AWD, leather and sunroof. I took it for a test drive and the engine sounds a bit loud but it drives well and the transmission and clutch were very smooth. There was too much plastic over the engine to get a good look at it and a rain storm was just about to hit. The people at the dealership did not know much about it. Any information on this would be helpful since I am just about to buy something and this is high on my list.

Thanks
Mark

#7 ·
JAC Hyundai tie-up

I believe that is the Sante Fe-based Rein (Ruiying) SRV that was introduced last spring.

The star logo that you saw, I'm guessing is the Chinese character for "big" 大 placed in an oval. I'm not sure why this logo, which I thought belonged to Baoding Dadi Auto, is being used by JAC. To my knowledge there are no connections between the two companies.

About two years ago JAC signed a 50/50 joint venture agreement with Hyundai. The two agreed to target an annual production goal of 10,000 buses, 90,000 trucks, and engines for 50,000 small commercial cars by 2010.

#14 ·
Huatai Santa Fe gets a new engine also.

Huatai have acquired the rights to make the Hyundai Sante Fe in China from their joint venture partner Hyundai. Huatai have been making the Sante Fe, and the Terracan SUV in China for several years now, and have received permission from Hyundai to rebadge the Terracan, and the Sante Fe as their own vehicles. The trouble is, Huatai didnt get an engine with the deal, and dont have any engines of their own. The solution was simple, go shopping for one! Huatai approached SAIC with regards to dropping the 1.8 Turbo assisted KV6 engine from MG-Rover into the SUV, which will now be known as the Huatai Sante Fe.

We’re not entirely sure if Huatai and Hyundai have any plans to make the latest generation of Sante Fe in China, currently the 2nd generation Sante Fe is imported into China.

The 1.8T Huatai Sante Fe is expected to go on sale for around 150,000rmb later this year.
source: China Car Times

#15 ·
Huatai-badged Sante Fe starts limited production.

May 21, 2008 - Rongcheng Huatai Automobile Co started the limited production of 1.8L turbocharged Sante Fe SUV under its own brand recently, a company source familiar with the case said.

The source said the 1.8 Turbo engine, which is powering a Roewe model, was sourced from SAIC. Huatai will initially build the SUV in a limited number due to insufficient engine supply.

The 1.8T Huatai Sante Fe is expected to go on sale for around 150,000 yuan ($21,500) later this year, according to China Car Times.

Huatai have been making the Sante Fe, and the Terracan SUV in China for several years now, and have received permission from Hyundai to rebadge the Terracan, and the Sante Fe as their own vehicles. But Huatai didn't get an engine with the deal, and doesn’t have engines of its own. So the solution was to shop one from SAIC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.