China Car Forums - View Single Post - Volkswagen & JAC EV cooperation (SOL)
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
phaeton

Default Re: Volkswagen & JAC EV cooperation (SOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Phaeton,
I'm a bit confused about VW's Traton. After the dieselgate scandal I think they had the intention of selling the entire business, but they ended up floating about 10% of the company in an IPO, with the provision they could raise the percentage of outstanding share to 25%. Don't know if there was simply no buyer for the entire company at the time or if the strategy has been changed voluntarily.

As a matter of fact Traton owns about 15% of USA's Navistar Corporation and has recently offered to buy all remaining shares. Navistar, a truck builder of course, is active in China through a joint venture with JAC.

Now the limitations on foreign ownership of chinese truck manufacturers end somewhere this year, so I could see VW turn the JAC truck business into a Traton/Navistar operation and the JAC passenger car business into 'VW China' in a few years time.
I admit at the moment I don't understand what the Volkswagen Group is doing. TRATON??? I thought the same as you.

Didn't know about Navistar - JAC trucks JV, through MAN TRATON is linked with SINOTRUK. I imagine you are correct that they might spin JAC trucks with TRATON group.

They could potentially get VWCO the Brazilian truck firm to build electric trucks with JAC too.
phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote