China Car Forums banner

Geely Zhidou (D1, D2, D3)

62K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  CCF mod 
#1 · (Edited)
Zotye Auto, known as the maker of 5008 EV and the cheapest Chinese car, Jiangnan Alto (TT), is developing a micro pure-electric car looking like Mitsubishi’s i-MiEV, according to the Chinese medium "Internet Info Agency." About half a meter shorter than the i-MiEV, a five-door hatchback, the Zotye model has only three doors and one row of two seats.

Sitting on a 2080mm wheelbase, the Zotye micro EV is said to be 2900mm long, 1545mm wide, and 1590mm high, and thus noticeably larger than the electric Smart Fortwo. For functionality, it gets a 10 kilowatt-hour battery pack (compared with the 14 kilowatt-hour on the second-gen Smart EV) and can run at a top speed of 80km/h (the minimum level set by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology for pure-electric passenger cars). The driving range is about 100km (the Ministry requires a minimum of 80km).

Earlier this year, another Zotye micro EV, the electric Jiangnan Alto (TT) has been found on sale in certain parts of China, available in both low-speed and high-way capable versions. Zotye, however, has not yet officially announced the release.

source:
http://chinaautoweb.com/2012/10/zotyes-electric-two-seater-exposed/

See less See more
#30 ·
Geely Zhidou D3

Substantially updated model. Likely to be made at the Geely Jinan plant.

Dimensions: Long: 2975 wide: 1585 high: 1590 mm
Wheelbase: 1865 mm
Motor: 30 kW
Speed: 100 km/h

Source: MIIT

Since Zhidou are no longer connected with Zotye, I intend to move this thread to the Geely forum someday.

#32 · (Edited)
Re: Zotye Zhidou E20 & Geely Zhidou

No, Zhidou has not been bought outright by Geely, but after Zotye got busy with its own electric vehicles (Zema with Dearcar, E200, and the Yun series) it did not cooperate further with Zhidou in advancing the E20, and Zhidou and Geely got closer (movie/soap opera script, no?). Point to note is that Geely and Zhidou had already begun their JV operation while the latter was supplying the E20 to Zotye.

Now the Zhidou-Geely cooperation runs very deep, where Zhidou is using or repurposing Geely plants (in Lanzhou, Ningbo and possibly Jinan) to manufacture its microcars.

For the background of the JV read:
http://www.geelyauto.com.hk/core/files/announcement/en/LTN20150108288.pdf

http://www.geelyauto.com.hk/core/files/financial/en/2015-02.pdf (pages 011 and 012)

but also read this for a different perspective:
http://wap.chinadaily.com.cn/2016-06/27/content_25868204.htm

#37 ·
I hardly found what the history of this vehicle is from Zotye to Geely.
Wouldn't it be better to keep the original Zhidou thread in Zhidou section, closing it and (or leaving it open for owners of old models) pointing it to a new one titled "Geely D2 car" in this section? Else, this thread which narrates history of this vehicle will be found only by people already knowing the history!

#38 ·
Zhidou Nanjing project

Zhidou Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd. (the parent of Lanzhou Zhidou Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd.) announced a new project in Nanjing. A manufacturing base for new energy vehicles will be set up in Nanjing Pukou Economic Development Zone (Pukou dt.) in two phases and will have a projected capacity of 200,000 vehicles per annum. The total planned investment is around 12 bn RMB (1.8 bn USD).

http://news.cnev.cn/Info_119946.html

For the current shareholding pattern of Zhidou Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd., see this post.

#43 ·
Did you know the "secret Italian history" of ZD Dx origin? :)

From the official page of "GreenGo Moving", the original Italian designer and dealer of ZD microcar, named i.car.0 - Interconnected Car - 0 emission, about Engineer Alfredo Bacci, which together with Engineer Ettore Chimenti created the car:

Ex Direttore Fiat dove ha ricoperto importantissimi incarichi: Presidente ed AD della F.M.B (Brasile), Senior Vice President Reponsabile Worldwide Operations del Gruppo Piaggio - dal 1997 sposta la sua attività in Cina dove diventa prima Responsabile Presidio Cina di Fiat - Teksid (altro link, in italiano), poi C.E.O della Socieà NTAF Co., Ltd. (una JV al 50% fra Teksid e la Nanjing Automotive Company) e Vice Presidente del Consiglio di Amministrazione.

Translation:
Former Fiat Director, where he held important roles: President and CEO of F.M.B (Brasile), Senior Vice President Reponsabile Worldwide Operations of Gruppo Piaggio - since 1997 moved his activities to Cina, hwere he becomes responsible of "Presidio Cina of Fiat - Teksid", then C.E.O of company NTAF Co., Ltd. (50% JV of Teksid and Nanjing Automotive Company), and Vice President.
Now have a look at Nanjing Automotive Company history:
The production began in November 2001 with the Fiat Palio. It was followed by the Fiat Siena in September 2002 and the Fiat Palio Weekend and Fiat Doblò in June 2003. The production of the Fiat Perla was launched in July 2006. The Perla was the last model launched by Nanjing Fiat. Another model, the Fiat Linea, was developed by Nanjing Fiat in cooperation with Tofaş A.Ş. and the Fiat do Brasil Ltda. The launch was scheduled for November 2006, but it never came because the Nanjing Automobile Group had forced to stop the car production until the end of the year, so the collaboration was officially terminated in order. In October 2006, Fiat had terminated their production in its Chinese facility. Nanjing Fiat was replaced by Roewe, the Chinese successor of the British Rover Group.

Most of Nanjing Fiat's tooling was acquired by Zotye in 2008.[1] Zotye started building the Fiat Multipla as the Zotye Mutiplan in 2009 and an updated version of the Palio/Siena as the Zotye Z200 in 2011.[1]

Now look at official Greengo history:
2006 L'avvio ufficiale della R & S
È stato istituito un gruppo di progetto per veicoli elettrici per micro viaggi e percorsi urbani
Stabilita una cooperazione strategica con i partner italiani GREENGO e SCE, ci dedichiamo a esplorare e innovare costantemente le modalità di trasporto per lo sviluppo urbano
2006 Official start of R&D. Created a design group for EV for micro urban travels.
2007 Estabilished partnership with Greengo and SCE, exploring and innovatingf urban mobility.
Now look at Zotye E20, Greengo Icaro and Zhidou ZD D1 (pay attention to front logo):

Nowadays Greengo is no more operating, replaced by Zhidou+Sharengo.

#44 ·
The Ningbo Intermediate People's Court has put up for auction 100% of the equity and assets of Lanzhou Zhidou Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd. (the 100% subsidiary of Zhidou Electric Vehicle Co., Ltd.). These properties include fixed assets such as land, production equipment, factory buildings as well as the production qualification of Lanzhou Zhidou. The sale is being carried out to meet payment obligations (in default) towards dozens of suppliers and service providers.

https://www.d1ev.com/news/qiye/102133
https://auto.gasgoo.com/News/2019/10/30I70135887C109.shtml

The court has set a reserve price of 138 million RMB and expects to net around 197 RMB million from the sale. The most coveted and prized asset is obviously the production license ("LZD") held by Lanzhou Zhidou itself. In recent times, some other car companies have been sold to start-ups at valuations of 650-800 million RMB.

Technically, this court-mandated auction should not affect production of Zhidou vehicles, under Geely's licenses ("JL", "SMA"), at other plants which do not come under the ambit of Lanzhou Zhidou, unless those are beset with financial problems too. Among licensed NEVs, Zhidou has manufactured only the D2S in 2019. Speculation is that the D3 design and rights may have been sold to Changan.

#48 ·
I found following forum where one user asked the same question. Unfortunately the conversation is in Italian. Perhaps you can try to use Google translate. Check it at:
Procedura per convertire Zhidou da carsharing a uso privato? - Forum Sui Veicoli 100% Elettrici (forumelettrico.it)

If I got it right, following procedures have to be done:
  • replace the ignition switch on the steering wheel: the key cannot be removed in the Sharengo
  • disable the card reader on the windshield: I believe this is done by reprogramming the tablet
  • reprogram the tablet to deactivate the sharing service
  • replace the key lock on the door

#54 ·
Hello, I'm trying to find out more about the current state of Zhidou. But updated infos are hard to find. Is Zhidou still producing vehicles? Was the reorganisation successful? Searching via baidu.com does not reveal much information about new vehicles from Zhidou. Anyone knows more?

#56 ·
Thanks, this is the last credible source of information that I also saw some weeks ago. Since then, not much information on the case can be found. What is interesting though is, that in Europe several companies are continuing to promote the Zhidou D2S and actively sell the vehicle. Sometimes as a rebranded vehicle. My guess is, that many buyers do not really know about the state of health of the manufacturer.