Saab in China - Page 12 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > Others

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #111
Goldjason

Cool Re: Saab in China

Last minute announcement from Koenigsegg has revealed they are nolonger interested in purchasing Saab Automobile. The site the long time spent on securing finance the main reason for pulling out.

Its late so perhaps more info next time. For now, maybe its best that this photoshop never happened.

It is a sad event to see a once great european marquis go to waste. If I had the financial resources I believe it is possible to make the "phoenix rise from its ashes".
Saab had a sad and troubled history and bad luck. From great engineering it went into the hands of financial managers who were more interested in the bottom line than making high quality products . Its precipitious fall started about the same time it was acquired by GM. It is hard to figure out whether it was simply bad engineering or bankers taking over control of the company that destroyed it. Anyone remember the infamous Saab 900 with the V6 engine ?.
It destroyed the image of Saab, thanks to GM. Please correct me if I am wrong in the following details; GM did not want to design a new engine themselves. So they bought a new engine design from a Japanese truck manufacturer and had the engine built in the UK. The car went on the market for less than two years and it was discontinued. No Saab dealer who is familiar with this engine wants to have anything to do with it. This same engine was also used in the European Opel, Vauxhall and the American Saturn models.

As someone who has driven Saabs all his life including MBs, BMW and VW and who is also technically well acquainted with their designs and short comings it breaks my heart to see a great automobile put to the dust by uncreative but analytically savvy managers. Today the 9-5s are poor sellers in the US but if the Chinese can buy up the company and inject new leadership the brand may have a chance again, who knows.
Goldjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #112
KiwiGuy

Default Re: Saab in China

BAIC to go alone for Saab?

From China Car Times:
Quote:
Are BAIC planning to go solo to take over Saab since the deal between Koenigsegg-BAIC and GM fell through? Although BAIC is flush with cash from their Mercedes and Hyundai JV’s, we doubt they have the ability to take over Saab. Reuters seems to have a similar idea:

Reuters:

GUANGZHOU, China (Reuters) – China’s automakers may dominate their home market, now the world’s largest, but the collapse of the sale of Saab to a Chinese-backed group shows it will be a bumpy ride for them to build a global profile.

Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Corp (BAIC) ranks 10th among China’s automakers, who are looking for a short cut to the global market by snapping up assets from distressed Western giants such as General Motors.

The Chinese generally churn out low-end cars for the booming domestic market and lack the technology and management and marketing expertise to handle global brands.

At this week’s Guangzhou Autoshow in southern China, many of these homegrown car makers boasted of record sales this year and more growth next year, but these mainly young manufacturers are not yet ready to take on seasoned global giants such as Toyota Motor, GM and Volkswagen.

“Their products are focused on the low-end market and cannot meet requirements of the western world, such as Europe,” said Zhang Jing, an analyst at Phillip Securities. “They can’t even get an entrance permit and there’s still a long way to go.”

Reflecting the difficulties the Chinese face, the BAIC-backed consortium said on Tuesday it was dropping its Saab bid, throwing that venerable brand’s future into doubt and leaving the Chinese automaker to weigh its next move.

The next test case will be Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery, a little-known machinery maker, which agreed to buy the gas-guzzling Hummer marque from GM. It hopes to close the deal by late this year or in early 2010.

Zhejiang Geely Holding, parent of Hong Kong-listed Geely Automobile, is bidding for Ford’s loss-making Volvo cars unit.

While most of China’s automakers have focused solely on the home market, some have begun exporting to developing countries in Africa, the Middle East and South America.

Now, the global financial crisis is providing them with a possible short cut to the world market, where well-known brands such as Volvo, Opel, Saab and Hummer are up for grabs as part of a major global restructuring.

BAIC initially wanted to gain access to Saab’s vehicle technology via the indirect link of taking a stake in small Swedish luxury car maker Koenigsegg, which bid for the Swedish brand. BAIC would then help revive Saab by increasing its vehicle sales in China.

Analysts say the Chinese firm may still bid for some Saab assets, but was unlikely to go solo on bidding for the company.
KiwiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #113
nzsaab

Thankyou for your post KiwiGuy & GoldJason,

To GoldJason, you have taught me new things about the V6 in the 900. I always new there was a V6 900 as Ive seen many myself and always thought they were good performers. (Peronsaly if I was in the market for a used 900 I would look for the V6 exclusively.)

To KiwiGuy, thanks for your post. To my current knowledge, GM are very wary about BAIC buying Saab as its came to the attention of GM that BAIC were wanting to get into the technical GM stuff rather than the Saab brand. BAIC's requirements to get into Saab and thus GM's technical knowhow is said to be the reason the deal with big K collapsed.

I really hope someone saves Saab. When the 9-4x is released worldwide around 2011-2012 I plan to lease a 9-4x. Any suggestions on colour?

Old 11-28-2009, 11:51 PM   #114
nzsaab

Saab Automobile AB's Trollhatten Factory Build First Saab 9-5 Sedan

This is the first of the production version of the all new 2010 Saab 9-5 Sedan to roll off the Trollhatten production line. Unfortunatly its not destined to roll into my driveway just yet.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #115
nzsaab

Saab's European Tour Hits Turbulance While On Cloud Nine - The Fasten Belts Light Is On!

Saab's European Tour of the all new 2010 Saab 9-5 Sedan has hit a rough patch while on cloud nine following the Koenigsegg deal to buy Saab from General Motors collapsing.

The European Tour has just completed its leg in Austria and was scheduled for Athens, Greece, however it has now been cancelled. Italy was next on the list and it is unsure if the European Tour will commence.

Last edited by nzsaab; 11-29-2009 at 12:30 AM.
nzsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #116
nzsaab

2011 Saab 9-5 SportCombi Spotted On The Roads!

Doesnt she look sweet!!!!!!

I have heard Saab are contemplating a 9-5x SportCombi! That would nock the socks off alot of competitors, however I cant see that happening in the coming 2 or 3 years. Saab have bigger fish to fry. . . Or cockles!

Last edited by nzsaab; 11-29-2009 at 12:28 AM.
nzsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #117
Rally Red Lancer GTS

Now that is a true musclecar! Phew!

That first 9-5 for 2010 is lookin' good, too. Hope somebody buys them so business can continue.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #118
KiwiGuy

Hi, nzsaab

Quote:
I really hope someone saves Saab. When the 9-4x is released worldwide around 2011-2012 I plan to lease a 9-4x. Any suggestions on colour?
I would suggest a nice dark black or grey. It would look hot.
Also, keep the tinted windows but have a polar white and black custom mag wheels. That would look awesome.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #119
KiwiGuy

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but I could not resist.
There is a driver simulator game called Forza 3 and in this game, they have two Saab models: the 9-3 Turbo Viggen and the 9-3 Turbo X. I have the later and will post pics soon.

Here's some other gamers Saabs

Old 11-29-2009, 05:29 PM   #120
KiwiGuy

More:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement