Saab in China - Page 16 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > Others

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:21 AM   #151
nzsaab

Default Re: Saab in China

I Have No Comment

Last edited by nzsaab; 12-26-2009 at 05:24 AM.
nzsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #152
nzsaab

2010 Saab 9-5 May Become Buick for USA only! - NZSAAB IS OUTRAGED

I have recieved news that GM is considering its options for Saab's assets which include its "soon to come" model range.

GM is planning to rebadge the 2010 9-5 Sedan and offer it in the USA and Canada as a Buick model!

GM is also considering to rebadge it as a premium speced Opel.

It has been reported that General Motors are seeing more benifits long term in shutting down Saab than selling it. Yes it will cost around 2Billion US dollars to close Saab completly over 5 years however GM will retain its technology and capitilize on Saabs other assets such as offices, dealer networks etc.

I would imagine the 9-4x would simply be cancelled and not rebadged into anything because it is already a sister of a Cadillac model. The refinements and more premium changes Saab made to that platform will most likely be implemented into the facelift of the Cadillac model.

Saab have 2000 new cars ordered awaiting manufacturer which will have to be assembled so production in Trollhatten will continue next year however new orders will not be taken after December 31.

The Saab 9-3 Convertible will begin production in Trollhatten for the first time in Jan to fulfill the orders already placed.

The Saab 9-3 SportSedan and SportCombi will continue to fullfill orders and the model range drops the V6 Turbo for 2010.

The Saab 9-5 SportEstate will fulfill its small remaining orders and tooling will begin being dismantled to be shipped to China for BAIC.

The Saab 9-3x will continue to fullfill orders from this year.

The Saab 9-5 Sedan tooling which is almost fully complete will sit pending what will happen to it next. There are 3 options:

- 1. it stays in Trollhatten and produces a rebadged version only of the 9-5 as a Buick for America.
- 2. It stays in Trollhatten following a sucessful sale to Spyker or other
- 3. It gets packed up and shipped to USA to assemble Buicks on home soil.

GM's global portfolio of Premium Brands officially consists as of today Cadillac and Hummer (Saab was removed following the stock purchase agreement with the big K.) Hummer is in the process of sale to China so that leaves Cadillac to fulfill GM's premium market worldwide!

Cadillac is currently very small in Europe however the closure of Saab means GM will no longer have to fork out money to promote two premium brands in Europe meaning GM Europe has more money for Cadillac. Cadillac could take the place of Saab at dealers all over Europe and around the world.

Cadillac was meant to enter the Australian market this year however GM Holden (Which owns and operates the GM Premium Brands portfolio in Australia NZ) pushed the entry back due to low sales of all cars across Oz. It is likely now with the absense of Saab Automobile's new car sales at selected Australian GM Holden dealers Cadillac will simply enter Saabs empty showrooms.

Last edited by nzsaab; 12-27-2009 at 10:51 PM.
nzsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #153
KiwiGuy

Yes, because GM already has its own luxury brand which sells in china as well: Cadillac. Apparently, Cadillacs have improved in quality in the same timeframe that Saab has declined. However, it doesn't help sales when everyone yawns loudly when a new 9-5 is shown to the public.

My new verdict (even though it is off topic): Fleet car.
KiwiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 05:27 AM   #154
nzsaab

KiwiGuy

Im somewhat confused with what you have commented above.

Im amused at how you so very much enjoy taking a stab at Saab and its models because you know I get defensive and fight back with facts about how wrong you are so here goes!

You are correct, Saab's build quality has slipped in recent years. You know why? Because General Motors oredered Saab to cut costs. They began in 2003 to be exact. General Motors was shocked to realise Saab had spent around 300 million US dollars developing the 9-3 Sedan and Convertible and 2.0 turbo engine that GM threatened to shut Saab down if it didnt reduce costs from there on in. Here are some examples:

-Saab was forced to cut the 9-5 production in 2003 from two shifts to one and merge final assembly with the 9-3 Sedan.
-GM forced Saab into spending its product development allowance (which was intended on developing a 9-5 replacement in 2003-4) on developing a new fast to market model, the 9-2x with Fuji Heavy Industries. Because the 9-2x was basicly an improved and restyled Impreza there was development money left over so a cross over suv based on the Subaru Tribica was developed as the 9-6x, however GM sold its 8% stake in Fuji Heavy Industries and Saab was forced to borrow the GM360 platform and also borrow the Oldsmobile Bravada body to create the 9-7x SUV.
-2004 saw Saabs interior quality slip in the 9-5 with the replacement of vynal dashboards with hard plastic and lesser quality leather in all models to reduce costs.
-Due to GM wanting Saab to create two quick market models rather than replace an existing model with an all new one Saab had no money left for developing the all new 9-5 and we ended up with the Dame Edna 9-5 instead.
-GM cancelled several varients of the 9-3 range that Saab proposed including a coupe. A crossover wagon was put on hold and didnt arrive until this year!

In short, its not Saab's fault its quality was bad, its GM's.

Cadillac's current portfolio doesnt really suit the conditions and requirents of most Europeans. The vehicles are too big and lack what Saab's vehicles offered. The Saab based BLS could have been a big hit had GM had more dealers.

Im not sure what you meant about 'fleet car'. I could write a whole page on facts about fleet cars but I will only do that if my readers request!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #155
KiwiGuy

About the Buick comment. I thought it was quite funny. You do realize, nzsaab, that outside China and some small Arab kingdoms, Buicks are brought by old people. Maybe this rumoured 9-5 production in the US by Buick to get in the "youth orinetated" sector of the market to compete with companies like Toyota and Honda.

My description of a fleet car is this. A fleet car is designed as dull as a bucket of beige paint, to be like the auotmotive equivalent of a ham and cheese sandwich. Just look at any Audi, BMW or Mercedes or Toyota.
KiwiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #156
nzsaab

Well if Buick use everything the 9-5 Aero was intended for I think it would be out of Toyota and Hondas league. More Lexus and Acura.

Ill let you know here and now that I enjoy ham and cheese sandwiches as you may recall from college. (remember the beef schnitzel?)
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #157
Rally Red Lancer GTS

Whoo-hoo! My Grandpa used to love and drive Buick's. And now if GM is gonna produce a Saab 9-5 Aero sedan and sell it as a Buick I may be carrying on the family heritage in a grand way then. Makes me tickle up all pink and silly over the whole thing.

Y'all realize what this means? It means you can still buy a Saab 9-5 Aero! I hope they stick to this.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:37 AM   #158
nzsaab

Rally Red Lancer GTS

Im glad your impressed about the Buick idea, I dont reccomend saying that on saabsunited.com

Yes you may get the 9-5 in Buick form but the rest of the world misses out all together. I would rather hope GM decide to sell or retain the Saab brand over simply liquidating the company and rebranding cars that Swedes have worked so hard to complete.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #159
claod

Default Inside Saab factory

Since BAIC has taken over Saab 9-3 and 9-5, here are some good pictures of the Saab factory inside pictures (scroll down a bit then you see)

http://www.cluntan.com/auto/viewthread.php?tid=294
claod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #160
Rally Red Lancer GTS

nzsaab-I agree with you totally, man. It's kinda cheap to hail the Buick idea, I know. So sorry about what's happened and it's really a lame situation for such a good carmaker to be in. Bites the big one big-time.