North Korea - Page 28 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > General > General Discussion

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #271
erik (laofan), cmvdc

Default Re: North Korea

No, you have not convinced me, there are too many differences..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2020, 01:02 PM   #272
kegare

I don't think the Mansudae painters are even allowed to promote non-DPRK brands in their art so I believe this alteration is likely done to hide the country origin of the vehicle. The details of the UAZ and the elongated badge might have been changed for this reason. When looking for foreign objects in these patriotic paintings I only found two items which are coincidentally vehicles, which are not shown accurately either: this Mercedes G-Class (the grille isn't correct and logo interior is not shown) and this ZiL 130. Instead of the ЗиЛ branding above the grille it has been changed to a Korean text.

Last edited by kegare; 09-20-2020 at 03:57 PM.
kegare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 04:57 AM   #273
erik (laofan), cmvdc

Well, Kegare, I agree that the paintings must show only DPRK products. The difference between the two examples, the G-Klasse and the ZIL on one side, and the UAZ469 copy is that the painter only changed the logos of Mercedes and ZIL into something else. The UAZ is completely redesigned. I think there are three possibilities: 1. the car is fake, completely made up by a painter, 2. a number, maybe only one of these UAZ469 conversions are made for Kim Yong Il, 3. there was a local UAZ469 version in production.
Against 1. is: look at the differences between the original UAZ469 and this car: the position of the windscreen wipers, the shape of the front direction indicators, the logo (well, that is logical), the three horizontal slats, the five small vertical front bumpers; that is a lot of fantasy!. The second option, a special car made for Yong Il is not strange, Ceaucescu had two Aro 244 very luxury converted especially for him (after his assasination they were sold 8000 dollar each, should have bought one!). Against this option 2 is that we have no photos to prove it. About 3: again, no photos (well there is a little chance they still existed, we have no photos of the facelifted Sungri 415 either, only a stamp). The Americans speak about a UAZ469RKh made in the DPRK. I suppose that is just another standard UAZ469 version.
My conclusion is: I wouldn't be surprised when an original photo shows up of this fantasy car...

Last edited by erik (laofan), cmvdc; 09-21-2020 at 05:10 AM.
erik (laofan), cmvdc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2020, 05:05 AM   #274
erik (laofan), cmvdc

Kegare, why do you name the oldest Taepaeksan truck number 50, as I have seen (forgotten where) that it is named Taepaeksan 70, which could indicate the introduction year as 1970? (1950 is imposibble.)
Old 09-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #275
kegare

Here is the UAZ 469RKH so you can rule that out. The source does not mention a local DPRK build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik (laofan), cmvdc View Post
Kegare, why do you name the oldest Taepaeksan truck number 50, as I have seen (forgotten where) that it is named Taepaeksan 70, which could indicate the introduction year as 1970? (1950 is imposibble.)
Gruzovikpress:

http://www.gruzovikpress.ru/article/...naya-realnost/

Why the year related naming, though? I have first observed the 50 in a 1989 movie appearance: https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_114000...n-70-1970.html.

I don't think it's the oldest design though, this model looks older: https://pics.imcdb.org/8212/x9.jpg

The 96 is named after the Juche year, by the way.

Last edited by kegare; Today at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:06 AM   #276
RR ltd Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik (laofan), cmvdc View Post
Hi, I did some cleaning (I am not so good at it) on a stamp with a UAZ 469-like vehicle and Kim Jong Il, from 2011. Here the results. I suppose there must be a photo of this vehicle (?). Cannot imagine it is a phantasy.
A little OT: I wonder if the graphic artist who designed the stamp still lives free regarding to the direction of kalashnikov held by the soldier on the right of supreme leader...
Old 09-21-2020, 06:28 AM   #277
erik (laofan), cmvdc

This is about the UAZ469RKh, I probably misinterpretated the article:

"The Russian designed UAZ-469 utility truck was developed to replace the GAZ-69. The outstanding features of this vehicle include improved cross-country performance, better gas milage, greater starting torque, increased maximum and cruising speeds, greater load capacity, and a better heating system than the GAZ-69. The UAZ-469 can be transported and airdropped by airplanes and helicopters.
One of the DPRK variants of this vehicle is the UAZ-469 RKh. This vehicle is used in NBC defence units and is equipped with NBC detection equipment."

North Korea country handbook, marine corps intelligence activity Quantico USA 1997
Old 09-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #278
erik (laofan), cmvdc

Juche 50 = 1961
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM   #279
kegare

I think it was unlikely back then to use the Juche year.

Quote:
The calendar began to be implemented on 9 September 1997, the Day of the Foundation of the Republic. On that date, newspapers, news agencies, radio stations, public transport, and birth certificates began to use Juche years.
https://web.archive.org/web/20150603...9/news9/10.htm

The years on those trucks are very tough to figure out. They are impossible if you ask me, unless you see the ID tag or new info on the Internet will be published. I would add 10 more years to 1961 even to the earliest Steagul Rosu (1960+)-copied Thaebaeksan.

(there are many DPRK model names that don't relate to years at all, like the Pungnyon 75 -> released in 1963, Chollima 28 -> released in 1958, Moranbong 25 etc.)

Having watched almost all publicly published North Korean media these are the first years the models were observed in:

First model seen in 1980
Second model seen in 1989
Third model (the one with ZiL 131 copied fenders) first seen in...2005 (this one looked brand new, by the way). I wouldn't be surprised this was a 1990+ model to say the least.

Last edited by kegare; Today at 01:40 AM.
Old Today, 10:45 AM   #280
erik (laofan), cmvdc

Trucks named Taepaeksan: first known appearances.

1. Carpati-Bucegi-type, movie 1980
*. first Kamaz copy, Taepaeksan or Sungri, magazine Korea 1987> Russian text says; (only) trucks from Sungri factory, so name will be Sungri or Jaju
2. built-in headlights, named by the Russians: Taepaeksan 50, movie 1989, photo Majara 1997
3. Taepaeksan 80 according handbooks (with real mudguards), movie 2005, photo Van Eijck 2005
4. Taepaeksan 96, brochure, official Kamaz-license, 2007
5. with Roman cabs, probably Taepaeksan, 2009
6. Nissan Diesel UD 6x6 copy, logo seems to be Taepaeksan, 2012
7. Dongfeng EQ1092, clearly named Taepaeksan, 2013
8. MAZ KN 02, not named. Photo 2013
9. Howo T7H truck, named Taepaeksan, 2017
10. armoured 8x8 truck, Howo based (?), clearly named Taepaeksan, 2018

Last edited by erik (laofan), cmvdc; Today at 01:55 PM.
erik (laofan), cmvdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement