Nanjing to build MG's in Oklahoma - Page 5 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) > Nanjing Automobile

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #41
dragin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtz
Just seems to me that it would be cheaper and a better, quicker deal to go ahead and use that plant that is already built then build a brand new one in a small town way down south.
rtz you make a lot of sense since this project is indeed a long shot for NAC. Case in point, Honda took the old failed Peugeot-Guanzhou Auto plant down in Guangzhou, and got it up and running successfully in a short time. Finding the right location for a greenfield plant and getting it going is an awesome task for a fledgling like NAC.

dragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 PM   #42
akirachan

none.
akirachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #43
MGBMAN72

Default US built MGs on-track despite CEO bailing

I just read this on Motor Authority.com:

US built MGs on-track despite CEO bailing
Monday 12 March 2007

Oklahoma Global Motors, the American side of a joint-venture determined to manufacture MG cars in the US, will continue with its plans despite the resignation of its CEO. Automotive News reports that Duke Hale has quit from his post as CEO along with two other top managers, but key investor Marc Nuttle is confident that the project will go ahead as scheduled.

Oklahoma Global Motors has partnered with China’s Nanjing Auto to build the MG TF sports coupe using car bodies sourced from the UK with drivetrains manufactured in the US by Nanjing. Nuttle expects the final licensing agreements to be signed by the end of the month.

It’s thought the reasons for the management departure centers around the downsizing of the company’s original plans. Hale wanted MG to sell up to 100,000 units by the end of the decade, but the costs involved in meeting emissions and safety standards for the required additional models would have outweighed the benefits.

The partnership will instead produce only 20,000 cars in the US and another 20,000 in the UK over the next two to three years and expects to launch the brand in the US midway through next year. If successful, Nuttle expects to see the introduction of “three or four models and a hybrid car and 50 dealers at launch.”
MGBMAN72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #44
MGBMAN72

I am glad that Hale is no longer in charge. I thought he was quite insensitive when he talked of the "Legacy Costs" that they were getting out of. As for production target changing from 100,000 to 20,000, I think it will be a wise move. They should be able to control quality of 20,000 a year easier than 100,000 as well as maintaining a bit of exclusivity that could help resale value. Only time will tell...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #45
ash
CCF Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGBMAN72
I am glad that Hale is no longer in charge. I thought he was quite insensitive when he talked of the "Legacy Costs" that they were getting out of. As for production target changing from 100,000 to 20,000, I think it will be a wise move. They should be able to control quality of 20,000 a year easier than 100,000 as well as maintaining a bit of exclusivity that could help resale value. Only time will tell...
welcome to CCF MGBMAN
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #46
BringIt

I can't wait for this car - I've been waiting for a weekend car since I sold my 944 Turbo and Miata...
BringIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #47
MGBMAN72

Default MG project wants 40 U.S. dealers

MG Plans 40 U.S. Dealers, No Matter Where The Cars Are Built
Automotive News April 2nd, 2007 2:33 PM

Color us a little confused. Recent scuttlebutt out of MG, the British marque recently purchased by China’s Nanjing, is that the company’s planned facility in Ardmore, Oklahoma, has been ashcanned, something confirmed by an MG official recently on NPR. Why, then, is the company’s joint-venture partner in the States, Oklahoma Global Motors, telling Automotive News China that they’re still on the case? Perhaps the plans aren’t quite so dead after all.

In any case, regardless of where the cars are assembled, the plan is to have MG TFs hitting Stateside streets sometime next year, and the group expects to have a prototype coupe together by the end of 2007.

To that end, OGM is seeking to establish as many as 40 dealers in the U.S. right out of the box. Would-be dealers looking to apply for a franchise will likely be communicating with John English, the firm’s president (and former Lotus bigwig).

From Winding road.com
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #48
Windy

Thanks for posting all the USA news MGBMAN

They will get there in the end, somehow!
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #49
Mega

Trouble is a an OLD car, if sold cheap than may be ok. But there is very little room inside. Its for me and i an 12.8 stone and 5 foot 7". You think you can find a Yank who will fit?
Mega
Mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #50
Seamaster

I'm 6'4", 200lb, and fit in one just fine. Another thing the TF has always had over the MX5 and MR2. And that's before NAC-MG stretch it, as per the discovered prototype at Longbridge.
Seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement