China Car Forums banner

Great Wall new luxury brand - WEY

26K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Chinese LSEV 
#1 ·

Great Wall Motors will launch a brand new car brand in China. It will be called WEY and it will debut on Friday on the Guangzhou Auto Show. WEY will be a high-end luxury brand, like Lexus for Toyota. The logo shows a vertical rectangle with two triangles at 1/4 from the top. They (WEY) will make petrol-powered cars, electric cars, and autonomous vehicles.The WEY brand will get a separate dealer and distribution network. Fortunately so because Great Wall’s existing dealers are already having difficulties dealing with the relentless expansion of the Haval brand.
source http://www.carnewschina.com/2016/11/14/great-wall-motos-to-launch-the-new-wey-brand-in-china/

:eek::eek:
I don´t know whether this is the right way for GWM/Haval ... two lines in Haval brand, another Luxury brand ... I´m fan of these cars, but last time I´m lost in that all new models ...

See less See more
#3 ·
A new luxury brand? I'm not sure if they will succeed, buyers of luxury/premium niche tend to prefer brands full of history than in vitro-born new ones. Qoros isn't exactly a success and who still remembers Riich? Just two examples. Of course Lexus is an exception.

I think they should focus in Haval (perhaps making a simplified range of SUVs and crossovers and not the mess they are doing right now) and giving a rebirth to Great Wall passenger cars marque (which seems rather dormant right now) before thinking about premium cars.

Anyway good luck for GWM and Wey, they will need it.

#8 · (Edited)
I feel the W01 is slightly longer than the W02 (if you look at the side views of each) and they are related to each other in the same way as the upcoming F6i is related to the F6 (or the H2S to the F6i). We do not have specs for these, and anyway these are still officially concepts, so specs won't matter much until they become production models. Moreover, it seems to me these WEYs are probably based on the H2S/F6 family.

#15 ·
The whole Wey project seems so nothing, with a nearly visible logo, with two 'concepts' (one is already exposed, thanks DMitra, and the other?). And this after the lessons of Gleagle, Riich and all the others.
For now I don't know why shouldn't these two concept cars be Haval-branded.
I say, thank God they introduced Wey, otherwise I am sure they would have managed to come up with a way to brand even these two as Haval H6! :nono:

#26 ·
For awhile it seemed Great Wall was lagging way behind the competition with respect to NEVs and their development. But now under the WEY brand, we are learning of some very ambitious projects with very bold targets. For example:
1. Their first hydrogen-powered vehicle model in 2020
2. Formally launching a fuel-cell volume production model in 2022
3. Achieving level 5 fully automated driving in 2025

What's more an i-Pilot 2.0-based prototype car developed by WEY has been granted a license to carry out autonomous driving road tests in the state of Michigan, USA.

http://autonews.gasgoo.com/new_energy/70015463.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.