Mg3 - Page 2 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation)

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Seamaster

Spakkaland, just out of interest, what are you into?

You know, I'm sure there is an engaging, upbeat spastic in you that we never see, hidden as he is on our forums beneath the Puppetland-the-bitter-and-boring-troll act. So, what forums do you hang out on where you're a positive contributor? Where you show passion and enthusiasm? Where you're welcomed, and fellow forum-ers look forward to your postings with interest?

I'd like to check those forums out and make my own contribution to them.

Last edited by Seamaster; 02-27-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
Puppetland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW
Now your credibility is truly shot! RV8 desirable? Take a 1962 body shell, leave the cart-horse suspension at the back, make a few styling tweaks to the wings and lights etc and stick some walnut and leather inside the cockpit, then give it some outdated cast-off V8 block and sell it for similar money to a TVR! Not surprising the British stayed away in droves and left it to the Anglophillic Japanese to take most of them.

The MG RV8 had all the characteristics that one associates with a proper MG - hence the reason that the residuals on these models remain strong, and the car sought after in certain circles.

Your comments seem to indicate that by sticking an MG badge on an old Honda Civic, or Rover 75, makes them more acceptable as an 'MG' than a rear wheel drive two seater sports car with a charismatic engine and leather trimmed interior. I don't think so.

If Nanjing are not careful, they could end up making MG the most embarrassing automobile marque - ever!

An MG Streetwise. Whatever next?

Last edited by Puppetland; 02-27-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Puppetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #13
erik (laofan), cmvdc

I think it is more and more visable that Nanjing is not at all interested in the sporty image of MG, it just wants to produce a kind of Rover vehicles, aiming at the same "English" image as Shanghai (Roewe). That's why they speak about 'Modern Englishman', that's why they choose the Rover grille for their MG 7, that's why they are interested in the Streetwise. Initially they didn't plan to make the TF, the foreigners are so interested in the revival of the TF.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #14
erik (laofan), cmvdc

Sorry, I meant "Modern Gentlemen" in stead of Modern Englishmen
Old 02-28-2007, 03:39 AM   #15
Seamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik (laofan), cmvdc
I think it is more and more visable that Nanjing is not at all interested in the sporty image of MG, it just wants to produce a kind of Rover vehicles, aiming at the same "English" image as Shanghai (Roewe).
They've made no secret of this, indeed they've said so publically, which is why Spakkaland's disingenuous dismay at the proposed Streetwise-based NAC-MG crossover vehicle is so risible.

They can put the badge on what they like. It's their brand now. I wish them well.
Seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #16
MartinW

Had NAC approached BMW for the Rover badge, the same outcome as SAIC would have resulted with NAC not getting it, so badging saloons as MGs is the only alternative. That said, Austin is also an option to them, and one I also hope they will use and leave MG to have some sporting credentials. But if MG means Modern Gentleman to a Chinese buyer and is a Streetwise, fine, I can deal with that so long as NAC-MG also respect the need to have sporting saloons and sports car for Western markets. Afterall, while all the opinonated Poms were deriding MG Rovers, the overseas markets never saw it the same way.

Seamaster is right, NAC-MG have every right to do what they will with the brand. Afterall, they are interested the huge growing market in China, and the concerns of a few bearded members that think an MG is a two-seater are of little issue to them, as it was of little issue to the Phoenix 4. If the beardies had had control of the brand, then it would follow Cadillac, Mercedes and Jaguar into relative obscurity chasing an ever aging market trying to recapture their youth in some open top two-seater on leaf springs! Undoubtedly, like Morgan, MG could have had a full order book if they had reduced operations to some small barn making a few MG RV8s every month. You can't blame NAC-MG, they're just picking up the pieces of a failed British operation - and why had it failed? Because negative attitudes such as yours couldn't see beyond your self-opinionated pipe and sense of superiority so typical of Poms!

What all the beardies forget is that Cecil Kimber took a humdrum Morris and stuck an MG badge on it - the whole ethos of MG! Of course two seater rag tops hold their residuals well, compare a 60s E-type to a comparable Jaguar saloon. Thanks to post-War US buyers, MG has become the generic term for a little two seater open top! Saloons have always sold alongside the sports car with the exception of the 70s.

You cannot make a statement that RV8 is desirable because it has good residuals, if you look at the fact that so many are for sale at any one time, it's obvious that the owners are not that enamoured with them otherwise they'd be hanging onto them. there were at least 3 up for sale this weekend at an MG show, there's a few in the club magazine, too, currently. I know a good few owners that have bought them and sold them on within a year - I wonder why! And with so few built in the first place, and the limited number originally sold in the UK, this keeps the prices artificially inflated against the much cheaper Japanese RV8 re-imports. And more to the point, what was the RV8, other than an elegant 60s design with some tacky plastic bits stuck on it in an attempt to play on some outdated belief that the B was actually good and desirable. Oh, I do love the irony of the Japanes RV8 sporting a Rover badge!

Now whether my comments lead you to think I thought an MG Zed is more desirable than a B, well work it out for yourself! The RV8 is so contrary to Kimber's original vision that it is laughable. MG was about getting the most out of small 4 and 6 cylinder engines, and applying the Safety Fast ethos to basic cars. As you, like all the beardies forget, it was not about attempting some American Muscle Car the lazy way with a hefty great inefficient V8 under the bonnet. The MGs that fetch silly money way up into the 50 k or more are the rare small engined, supercharged cars and there are plenty of pre-War saloons that fetch way more than some tacky RV8 retro effort.

What the MG Zed range did was re-invigorate the MG brand and bring in a younger audience, some of which have also found their way into the MG classic scene. The Zed may not be desirable to the average beardy but enough younger blood will surely open the way to mass production.
And a CV including Minis, Austin , Rover 400s and 75
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #17
Windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik (laofan), cmvdc
I think it is more and more visable that Nanjing is not at all interested in the sporty image of MG...
How can you say that when they are producing press releases like this: http://news.sohu.com/20070228/n248417546.shtml

You need a very sporty MG to beat a Ferrari!

But 10.73 seconds for 0 - 166 Kph and back to 0 must count as very sporty!
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:11 AM   #18
erik (laofan), cmvdc

Yes you are right, Windy, they write about the glorious and sportive past of MG, (they even use photos of old MG's on their website) but I think these writings about MG's past are opposit their present "British gentleman" strategy in China. But maybe I am wrong or maybe they are changing their minds, as they did with the survival of the TF.
(Yes, I surely know you can drive fast with an MG, as my MG ZT-T 260 can prove you and as they proved with it, 359 km/h in Utah)
Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #19
CCF mod

Default Mg3

Undisguised MG 3:

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/sp...7597752554.jpg

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/sp...7202962044.jpg

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/sp...7552634961.jpg

http://img.autohome.com.cn/upload/sp...7568214449.jpg
CCF mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
Windy

I think we need a picture of the new MG-3 rally car too