Great Wall Haval H5 - Page 17 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > Great Wall / Haval

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #161
RR ltd Co.

Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

ah, stars don't matter... what was the speed in this crash-test - that should be the the key question...?
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #162
geralilio

I think stars do matter. As far as I know, speeds are pretty much standard in crash testing.
geralilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #163
micodelija

as i write before, test was done according to homologation regulation in Europe, R94-01, speed of test was 56 km/h, i am quite sure that there will not be any problems with 64 km/h as well as hover already got A-ncap test in australia, which was done at speed 64 km/h, hover in australia got 4 star rating, but it was old model
micodelija is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #164
RR ltd Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geralilio View Post
I think stars do matter.
I wrote it, because chinese stars differed from european.
I mean, CNCAP had different speed in their crash-rests, so we couldn't compare CNCAP and Euro-NCAP as identical.
After all, including last micodelija's reply, Hover H5 had a quite impressive result.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #165
Chinesecars

Interesting commentary in Automotive News

Some Chinese brands compete nicely with the big players on giant stage

Yang Jian / Automotive News / 2011-7-29

SHANGHAI -- At a time when General Motors, Volkswagen and other global automakers are making big investments in China, it's easy to be pessimistic about the prospects of China's domestic companies.

For example, Chery and BYD, China's top-selling domestic brands, are both struggling to stabilize sales and market share.

Chinese consumers have noticed the trend, according to a report this month from the market research firm Gasgoo. More than 70 percent of Gasgoo's respondents said independent Chinese brands face the risk of being wiped out.

China's domestic automakers have lost market share due to poor brand images and weak technology. But their hardships should not blind us to the fact that some Chinese brands are holding up remarkably well.

One such company is Great Wall Motor Co., which has relentlessly pursued better quality. It is the first Chinese company to certify its products for sale in the European Union.

In 2009, Great Wall won approval to sell an SUV, pickup and two sedans in the EU. Last year, a Great Wall executive told me the company knew that EU certification would force it to improve quality.

Meanwhile, Great Wall has kept its product development focused tightly on a few profitable niches: SUVs and pickups. And while competitors like Chery launched a confusing welter of new brands, Great Wall eliminated nameplates and consolidated all of its car models under the Voleex brand.

These efforts have brought ample rewards. In the first six months of 2011, Great Wall sold more than 178,000 vehicles, up 47 percent year-on-year. The company's net profit for the period jumped approximately 80 percent.

Another canny operator is Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co., the independent automaker that purchased Volvo Car Corp. last year.

The company is phasing out inexpensive models under the Geely brand while it introduces better products under new brands.

The plan appears to be working. While overall sales in the first six months fell 13 percent, sales of the Emgrand EC7 sedan have averaged a healthy 8,000 units per month.

The EC7 carries a starting price of 75,800 yuan ($11,800), which allows Geely a decent profit margin.

To be sure, Great Wall and Geely still lag far behind their global rivals on quality and technology. But if they maintain their momentum, they will continue to gain strength and go upscale.
Chinesecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #166
Chinesecars

I'm impressed with Great Wall's progress. But I urge them to grow carefully. The current models still need refining. Look at the "fit" of the plastic interior parts in every H3/H5 (instrument panel and center console). Many seams are not flush. It's a simple manufacturing problem, but it has not been addressed. Get the H3/H5 right, before moving forward to new products (H6). Experience correcting the ongoing assembly flaws of the H3/H5 will benefit the H6 and other new models.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #167
Chinesecars

GW has launched a second version of the Kia CRDi-based 4D20 (2.0VGT) called the 4D20B. Unlike the 4D20 which uses a Borg-Warner variable geometry turbocharger (VGT), the 4D20B uses a Shanghai MHI wastegate turbocharger. The EGR system and intercooling are understood to be different as well. It seems the 4D20B, which produces 10 less kW than the 4D20 ([email protected] versus [email protected] / 136HP versus 150HP), will be offered with the 6-speed manual, while the 4D20 will continue to be paired with the Hyundai/Kia 5R35 5-speed automatic transmission.

The reduced power appears to be an effort to solve the clutch and transmission problems occuring with 6-speed manual-equipped H5 2.0VGT. The torque rating for both the 4D20 and 4D20B is still reported to be the same - 310 N.m at 1800-2800rpm.

GW feels the VGT is more suitable for the automatic. But, since most medium and heavy trucks now feature VGT with manual (or AMT) transmissions, I can't agree that VGT isn't suitable for the 6-speed transmission if it and the clutch have a rated torque capacity in excess of the engine's 310N.m

The conclusion is, GW needs to use a higher quality 6-speed manual transmission and clutch assembly. For now, the Hyundai/Kia 5R35 5-speed automatic transmission is the only safe choice, although some customers will not be satisfied with the available low-speed power when the air conditioning is turned on.

Last edited by Chinesecars; 08-04-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #168
geralilio

hi Chinesecars, do you have a link for this bit of news?
geralilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #169
Chinesecars

I found this news on several Chinese language websites.

Naturally, the Chinese consumers that prefer manual transmissions are upset that 6-speed equipped H5 2.0VGTs (GW's long-time 5-speed manual isn't available with the 2.0VGT) now get an engine (the 4D20B) that has stepped backward in technology, from a modern Borg Warner VGT to a low-end wastegate turbocharger, that delivers 14 less horsepower. I would respect GW more if they scrapped the Zomax 6-speed transmission and cooperated with a respectable transmission supplier (ie. Getrag) and clutch supplier to resolve the high failure rates.

Last edited by Chinesecars; 08-04-2011 at 07:53 PM. Reason: edit
Old 08-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #170
Chinesecars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement