Great Wall Haval H5 - Page 23 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > Great Wall / Haval

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #221
Chinesecars
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 90
Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

To answer your question, after collecting generally positive feedback from H3 and H5 owners for over a year, I decided to buy one. But since I want a 2012 model, and the product launch has been unexplicably delayed from September until some unknown future date (my dealer said it might even now be after next January), I have been unable to buy my new 2012 H5 (Euro model). I want to try a 4wd H5 with the 2.0VGT and Hyundai 5-speed automatic. If you read my posts, I have explained that I encountered driveability problems with this model after its introduction this year, as well as the 6-speed manual.

Since the latest 2.0VGT/automatic-equipped H5s I've test driven have improved driveability, but the 6-speeds still don't, plus considering the stop-and-go traffic here during rush hour, I'm planning to buy an automatic. But, I want the enhancements that the 2012 model will offer.

In July, I was told GW would be taking orders in September and I could have the truck in 30 days. Now, everything has changed and the dealer can't tell me anything definite. GW is certainly not inspiring confidence in me about their sales marketing and management. There are days when I consider buying a 2011 H3 with the 2.5TCi, because it's by far the best looking model (due to the intercooler hood scoop), it's performance is far superior to the 2.0VGT, and it has a Bosch fuel system with a fuel heater (I live in northern China).

So, I'm waiting on GW to get their act together. I can only guess that the 2012 models have problems that have not yet been addressed, and as a result, production could not begin in September as originally planned.

Last edited by Chinesecars; 11-03-2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: edit
Chinesecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 AM   #222
dieselhover
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

Chinesecars,
You are right. Something is up with delivery of H5. I was told by local dealer that first H5 auto was going to arrive last weekend, now they tell me to keep checking... and this one apparently was an actual order delivery that they would let me test drive to get an idea of the vehicle... glad I am not the actual owner waiting for this one... any updates on your side? I assume they don't make the H3 with 2.5 tci automatic do they?
dieselhover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #223
narryshenzen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Angry Re: Great Wall Haval H5

Quote:
Originally Posted by micodelija View Post
chinesecars...do you own hover???
hi
i am sorry i can ask you the same question do own a hover in china
owning in europe is a diffrent ball game all together
in china i have travel to most province
and i see there sevice pathetic for the least
narry
narryshenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #224
narryshenzen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Angry Re: Great Wall Haval H5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinesecars View Post
To answer your question, after collecting generally positive feedback from H3 and H5 owners for over a year, I decided to buy one. But since I want a 2012 model, and the product launch has been unexplicably delayed from September until some unknown future date (my dealer said it might even now be after next January), I have been unable to buy my new 2012 H5 (Euro model). I want to try a 4wd H5 with the 2.0VGT and Hyundai 5-speed automatic. If you read my posts, I have explained that I encountered driveability problems with this model after its introduction this year, as well as the 6-speed manual.

Since the latest 2.0VGT/automatic-equipped H5s I've test driven have improved driveability, but the 6-speeds still don't, plus considering the stop-and-go traffic here during rush hour, I'm planning to buy an automatic. But, I want the enhancements that the 2012 model will offer.

In July, I was told GW would be taking orders in September and I could have the truck in 30 days. Now, everything has changed and the dealer can't tell me anything definite. GW is certainly not inspiring confidence in me about their sales marketing and management. There are days when I consider buying a 2011 H3 with the 2.5TCi, because it's by far the best looking model (due to the intercooler hood scoop), it's performance is far superior to the 2.0VGT, and it has a Bosch fuel system with a fuel heater (I live in northern China).

So, I'm waiting on GW to get their act together. I can only guess that the 2012 models have problems that have not yet been addressed, and as a result, production could not begin in September as originally planned.
hi
before you plan to buy a h5
please check this forum which is chinese
http://club.autohome.com.cn/bbs/forum-c-2027-1.html
and see how many people have problems who have buyed h5 2.0t
you will get the answer this company there no standisation
each lot of production differs from each other be very care full
narryshenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #225
Chinesecars
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 90
Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

No, the H3 2.0/2.4 gasoline and 2.5TCi diesel are not available with the Hundai 5-speed automatic. Wouldn't the 2.5TCi and the 5-speed automatic be a great combination!

It seems that GW has no true R&D capability. They have to contract out all of their development. That's why the Kia 2.0VGT + Hyundai auto isn't much changed from when Kia produced it. GW has no ability to make signifcant changes. The "B" version with the Bosch fuel system was reworked by Bosch, because GW couldn't possibly do it.

Realistically, GW is just a factory, because they can't actually design anything (good) by themselves (The H3/H5 came Isuzu - the Axiom).

If they could actually design cars and SUVs, the 5-speed automatic transmission would be available with all available engines (the normal way a global carmaker would do it).
Chinesecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #226
dieselhover
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 42
Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

You are right, the 2.5TCi and the 5-speed automatic be the best Hover combo since the 2.0VGT is not a finished product based on some severe issues they got, which is very sad... How reliable is the manual transmission on the 2.5TCi?
Specially the 4X4 version on the SUV?
dieselhover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #227
narryshenzen
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Smile Re: Great Wall Haval H5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinesecars View Post
No, the H3 2.0/2.4 gasoline and 2.5TCi diesel are not available with the Hundai 5-speed automatic. Wouldn't the 2.5TCi and the 5-speed automatic be a great combination!

It seems that GW has no true R&D capability. They have to contract out all of their development. That's why the Kia 2.0VGT + Hyundai auto isn't much changed from when Kia produced it. GW has no ability to make signifcant changes. The "B" version with the Bosch fuel system was reworked by Bosch, because GW couldn't possibly do it.

Realistically, GW is just a factory, because they can't actually design anything (good) by themselves (The H3/H5 came Isuzu - the Axiom).

If they could actually design cars and SUVs, the 5-speed automatic transmission would be available with all available engines (the normal way a global carmaker would do it).
hi
if somebody out sources his development in 2011 is normal
my only worry them cannot assemble the car in normal manner
you saying for a automatic gear box for 2.5 tcdi engine do you expect them spend millions of rmb in making a different mould for this engine impossible

i mean look the kia engine with borg and wagner turbo is fanastatic but
putting a gear box for 200nm in a car which can give 400nm torque is simply not acceptable
narry
narryshenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #228
micodelija
Senior Member
 
micodelija's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Croatia
Posts: 928
Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinesecars View Post
No, the H3 2.0/2.4 gasoline and 2.5TCi diesel are not available with the Hundai 5-speed automatic. Wouldn't the 2.5TCi and the 5-speed automatic be a great combination!

It seems that GW has no true R&D capability. They have to contract out all of their development. That's why the Kia 2.0VGT + Hyundai auto isn't much changed from when Kia produced it. GW has no ability to make signifcant changes. The "B" version with the Bosch fuel system was reworked by Bosch, because GW couldn't possibly do it.

Realistically, GW is just a factory, because they can't actually design anything (good) by themselves (The H3/H5 came Isuzu - the Axiom).

If they could actually design cars and SUVs, the 5-speed automatic transmission would be available with all available engines (the normal way a global carmaker would do it).
i think you are way wrong....great wall have really modern R&D department, with over 80% with master degree who are highly educated, factory tour is free, i think you should arrange it , also they invest millions of dollars in it


http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/de...e4/item233307/
here is a new designer from great wall, andreas deufel, do you know which models he make? mercedes ml, mercedes gl, audi a4, mercedes e class, coupe models and so on, now you want to told to us all that great wall don't have their own center for design vehicles??? this gentleman here is most respective in automobile world

great wall had enormous grow from 2007, in only 5 years company had so much improvements that i simply can't write you down how that things it changed there, there is still space for improvements but great wall is very young brand in car industry and today's customers expectations are very high, of course all of them want to have luxury car for best possible price which is not possible,i also see that you also search and write so much about hover,but you don't own the car,forget any other people and those who are writing everything,great wall sold almost 400.000 cars, that mean 400.000 different clients and customer habits,do you think that everybody know how to maintenance the car properly?

i will tell to you funny story, before 3 years ago customer came to me and he was very angry, he came in my office and throw keys directly to my face, even hit me, i was shock and ask him what is the problem? he told to me that all power windows don't work and that he can't open doors from inside, u know what was the problem? he press the child lock button and safety button for windows that only you as a driver can operate with it,after i show him what did he done...he was embarrassed, now every time when he came to me i got a small gift from him

second customer when to tire shop to buy new off road tires and people there installed tires wrong, they put tires in opposite rotation, but my customer didn't know why car didn't go well and simply drive it like that, after almost 10.000 km tire change he came to us because some bearing inside wheel broke and we see this, he could not believe that this happens to him and i was also shocked that somebody didn't notice for 10.000 km that there is something wrong with the car and tires
micodelija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #229
Chinesecars
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 90
Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

The manual 5-speed behind the 2.5TCi appears to be reliable, based on the comments I've gotten over the last 3 years from many Chinese owners. But, the shift quality is not up to modern standards. First and second gear are very "notchy". It gets a little better with age but there clearly is a synchronizer design problem. Frankly, the 2.5TCi needs a new modern 5 or 6-speed manual transmision.

Narry, it doesn't cost "millions of rmb" to design another flywheel housing that would allow the Hyundai 5-speed automatic transmission to mount behind the 2.5TCi. For any global car company, this is a very small and simple matter. The problem for GW is, they don't even have this basic R&D capability.

Why does the 2.0VGT + Hyundai 5-speed auto have the Borg-Warner TOD 4wd system? Because that is the same drivetrain that Kia had. GW is forced to continue with exactly what Kia was building because they have no self ability to make any siginicant changes. They bought the drivetrain "off the shelf" from Kia.

Micodelija, you say that GW actually has a modern R&D capability. Well, when will they start showing it? I'm not stopping them. They can begin today. That would be great. The real truth is, they have to pay outside companies to do all their serious R&D for them.

For example, what R&D was done by GW for the H3/H5? They bought the truck design from Isuzu (the Axiom). They buy the gas engines from Mitsubishi. GW acquired the turbocharged 2.8L 4JB1 engine design from Isuzu. Later they paid Bosch to update it, resulting in the higher performance 2.5TCi. Then for the H5, they bought the whole diesel powertrain package from Kia, Hyundai and Borg-Warner. What did GW engineer? Nothing.

I don't care about free factory tours. I don't care if they employ one expat designer (if he was really good, he'd be at a global carmaker making the big money). I only care about the end result.

Last edited by Chinesecars; 11-24-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: edit
Chinesecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #230
micodelija
Senior Member
 
micodelija's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Croatia
Posts: 928
Default Re: Great Wall Haval H5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinesecars View Post
The manual 5-speed behind the 2.5TCi appears to be reliable, based on the comments I've gotten over the last 3 years from many Chinese owners. But, the shift quality is not up to modern standards. First and second gear are very "notchy". It gets a little better with age but there clearly is a synchronizer design problem. Frankly, the 2.5TCi needs a new modern 5 or 6-speed manual transmision.

Narry, it doesn't cost "millions of rmb" to design another flywheel housing that would allow the Hyundai 5-speed automatic transmission to mount behind the 2.5TCi. For any global car company, this is a very small and simple matter. The problem for GW is, they don't even have this basic R&D capability.

Why does the 2.0VGT + Hyundai 5-speed auto have the Borg-Warner TOD 4wd system? Because that is the same drivetrain that Kia had. GW is forced to continue with exactly what Kia was building because they have no self ability to make any siginicant changes. They bought the drivetrain "off the shelf" from Kia.

Micodelija, you say that GW actually has a modern R&D capability. Well, when will they start showing it? I'm not stopping them. They can begin today. That would be great. The real truth is, they have to pay outside companies to do all their serious R&D for them.

For example, what R&D was done by GW for the H3/H5? They bought the truck design from Isuzu (the Axiom). They buy the gas engines from Mitsubishi. They bought the 2.5TCi from Nissan (originally was 2.8L) and paid Bosch to update it. Then for the H5, they bought the whole diesel powertrain package from Kia, Hyundai and Borg-Warner. What did GW engineer? Nothing.

I don't care about free factory tours. I don't care if they employ one expat designer (if he was really good, he'd be at a global carmaker making the big money). I only care about the end result.
as i told you before, great wall is very young brand, i don't know if you are informed but do you know how expensive is to make their own engine, gearboxes, car design and all other things?? this is million dollars talk, also almost every other car in china had mitsubishi engine, i know several brand which are using identical engine, all depends who had joint venture, some of them use toyota 4y engine, plenty of them use mitsubishi engine, isuzu 4jb1 engine, nissan yd32 engine and other, every suv which i check in china had some of those engines, ok some of brands try to make their own engine, but simply there is no need for that, why to spend 200 million dollars for engine development while you can buy finished engine for much lower amount? great wall had it own engine base and all of engines their produce by their own, even this diesel one, exploring and engineering take time and lot of money, it can't be done in one or two year, it must be planed for several years in future and again while you make there is always somebody who is offering more modern, this is why is best simply to buy finished technology and update it, great wall will still need almost 5 or 10 years to came between other car makers, but they are doing good and we must have thrust in brand and product, personally i drive great wall cars for 5 years now, from 2007, every car is better and better and i hope that all future cars will still be excitement to me what i want to drive them

just this what you write is modern customers, we all want the best quality, but can you afford it? let be clear here...hover price is affordable car in china, how much is price of hover in china? 17000 usd? for that price hover offer quite good price and quality ratio, simply if you want supreme quality, it cost much much more, several time more
micodelija is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

                    
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.