umm.. the name - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > Gonow

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
edge

Default umm.. the name

I would seriously consider changing the name "Gonow". It sounds very tacky and cheesy, especially in the West. It won't be taken seriously by Americans. I think many Chinese companies still have a poor understanding of the Western consumer, hence the many ridiculous English names such as Chery, Geely and Gonow.. etc.

You need something more marketable and catchy. If you need help, I can try some suggestions.
edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
jikki

Exclamation

you aer conservative,why can't accept something new?

Japan's Honda is also a strange name for you west,but it sells well globally.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
edge

But Gonow is a bad use of ENGLISH words. If it was an actual Chinese name that's ok. My problem is when Chinese companies try to use English names and it sounds very bad to the ears of Western consumers.

I think a more masculine and catchy name would help sales.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Admin
Chery Driver

I agree with Jikki,

THe west has accepted names like KIA, honda and toyota

which are more absurd than geely and chery BUT

TOYOTA beat out every single US manufacturer and are making GM and FORD cry for mercy
Old 03-15-2006, 03:31 AM   #5
zzffirst

Default I agree with you.

Yes,I also think name is just name,no other mean.

But if the name is more accept by Western,it may be more well.
zzffirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
PyroC

I agree with Edge that the name is somewhat odd, at least to me. Someone that's never heard of a name like "Honda" or "Toyota" will think of the car once they hear the name and see the cars. When someone says "Gonow", I don't know if they are talking about a car or telling me to go somewhere. It's probably a suitable name for the chinese market since english is not their first language. That's just my opinion anyways.
PyroC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
edge

Yeah, the name is VERY important. It's not "just a name". Ultimately, a good product will get recognition no matter what. But why make things more difficult by adopting a funny or laughable name?

I mean, Honda and Toyota was once alien to Americans. But as Pyrox said, at least when people heard it, they thought of the car. But Gonow, just sounds very cheesy and not professional at all. It sounds like an immigrant with bad English trying to pick a name, but ends up sounding like a joke. That will make your marketing efforts in the US twice as difficult. I really suggest you change your English name (you dont have to change your Chinese name) at this early stage, so you can make things much easier for yourself in the long run.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
m14

It might now be best name, but i think people will get used to it after some time...just like sabaru
m14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:41 AM   #9
fm.illuminatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge
Yeah, the name is VERY important. It's not "just a name". Ultimately, a good product will get recognition no matter what. But why make things more difficult by adopting a funny or laughable name?

I mean, Honda and Toyota was once alien to Americans. But as Pyrox said, at least when people heard it, they thought of the car. But Gonow, just sounds very cheesy and not professional at all. It sounds like an immigrant with bad English trying to pick a name, but ends up sounding like a joke. That will make your marketing efforts in the US twice as difficult. I really suggest you change your English name (you dont have to change your Chinese name) at this early stage, so you can make things much easier for yourself in the long run.
Exactly. I would never buy a car called "gonow" just as much as I would never buy milk named "gooddrink" or a computer named "fastfun". A purely chinese name would go over much better with American consumers. "Honda" is purely Japanese, and consumers associate the car with the country it came from, something they are comfortable with. But to try and come up with a cheesy American name for a chinese car... american consumers have a sense for knock-offs and crap products (because we have all been raised in a consumer driven society) and any cheesy name instantly says "knock-off" or "cheap". A company that won't spend the money on marketing to make a decent (and unique) name for it's product probably doesn't have a very good product. At least that's the prevailing attitude here in the states, and a concept to which I fully agree.
fm.illuminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #10
E46DinanM3

I agree with edge, as an American the name "Gonow" looks like a combination of bad translation and bad marketing.

Look at it this way, Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, etc don't actually mean anything in English. The name "gonow" won't go over well. It will look like a joke. Ideally, they should go with something sounding more native (like the last name of a founder), or at least find someone that speaks English as a native language to make a name that will translate better. As it is, no American or Britain will take it seriously.
E46DinanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement