China Car Forums banner

SAIC Roewe 550

124K views 135 replies 40 participants last post by  setareie_sokhte 
#1 ·
Ford pulled a shrewd move back in September when it exercised an option to purchase the rights to the Rover brand name from BMW, which meant that Chinese automaker SAIC couldn't use the brand name to sell the ex-Rover cars it had just won the rights to build. Hence, the Roewe brand was born and the 750E was unveiled soon after.

AutoExpress is now reporting that SAIC is readying a slap right back at Ford in the form of a Focus fighter for the European market.

The small family hatch will come in both three- and five-door models, and it's being developed locally in the U.K. by Ricardo 2010, an engineering firm bought by SAIC that just happens to employ a number of ex-Rover employees.
2010 was also responsible for reengineering the Roewe 750, which will go on sale in Europe later this year.

The small car is being developed using the RDX60 chassis, a still-born platform that didn't get the chance to see the light of day before Rover went bankrupt.

We find it amusing SAIC is developing a car to take on the Focus considering Ford threw a major wrench in their works by buying the rights to the Rover name at the last minute. The Rover name will likely never be commercially used by Ford, which wasn't keen on the idea of Chinese-built passenger vehicles being confused with its high-end, off-road Land Rovers.

[Source: AutoExpress]

See less See more
#3 ·
lol FORD ,,, sick :p
SAIC ... smart :p but hope they pull it off , I hate Ford(S)

#5 ·
Assuming it is based on the original RDX60 that was being prepared at the time of the colla[se, then it has every chance of at least competing with Focus. But back in the 90s Rover raised the bar and by comparison Ford and GM took another few years to catch up and get ahead of Rover.

#6 ·
I just read about that in TopGear. They took a tour of the Longbridge facility and found the prototypes there. Complete with Sedan(Saloon), 5 and 3 dr hatch and I think a wagon too. I looked it up- its based on a modified Rover 75 platform. Its supposed to be "the car that would have saved Rover". If they'd had the money(it was ready, they just couldn't afford to launch it).I guess its good that something's come out of it.:D

#14 ·
Not mine, 4*real*, I'm merely a contributor.

It's an unmoderated/uncensored forum for discussing the CLASS that was, that is, and that may be again. :D

I take it you are "croque monsieur", mon ami? ;)

#18 ·
Whoa................

Now THAT is a really, REALLY beautiful car. I could DEFINTELY enjoy driving (and be seen driving) that car!! I'm also wondering what the new Roewe 250 is going to look like.........anyone know of any pics???

I also just saw the 750 for the first time (it was on display in the Guangzhou airport) and it is quite impressive to see in real life. However, I'll take the 450 ANY day over the 750.........I can't WAIT to see the 450 for real when it finally gets here!!:)

#19 ·
It looks really nice, this is still a photoshop, but realistic if you compare this to the spy shots.
The 750 also looks really nice, but it's a pity that the brand is called Roewe and not Rover. And Roewe will arrive in Europe in 2010 and then the 750 is old-fashioned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.