China Car Forums banner

Great Wall Wingle3 and Wingle5

242K views 184 replies 52 participants last post by  CCF mod 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Great Wall Motor Co., Ltd has introduced "5+1" new models at the Auto Guangzhou exhibition.

Leading the pack is the new self-developed Wingle pickup truck. Its name comes from the combination of Wind and Eagle. It features an electronically-controlled common-rail diesel engine, developed in conjunction with Bosch.

The new turbo-diesel powertrain, dubbed the Intec complies with Euro III emission standards and has a maximum torque of 225 Nm between 1600-2600 rpm range.

The Intec engine will also be available in the Hover CUV.

Other new models included the Hover Pi, a stretched version of the Hover CUV with luxury equipment. The first Hover Pi was built for Fidel Castro.

See less See more
#103 ·
Re: Great Wall Wingle

i don't know why people bother so much with this test, nissan navara score just 1 star on euroncap, before nissan made some changes and got 3 stars, to me this ncap, ancap, euroncap, cncap or other simply isn't important, because i am sure that nobody buy a car to him with him into wall, also how big is the chance that you will have the same accident like this simulation in your life???

i had 3 car accident with hover, smaller and bigger and never,apsolutly never nothing happend to me, i also had an car accident with wingle, the bus hit me in rear part of car, also nothing happend to me, if i must have car accident personaly i would like to be in 2 star rated wingle, then in 5 star passenger car

in accident firstly you must have so much luck, secondy...there is also that logic "speed + gross weight + chassis = demolished other car", i simply don't belive that vehicles without chassis can be so safe, especially in suv segment

great wall made very robust and strong vehicles, i will be very careful if i will drive any other chinese pick up or suv, but in great wall i feel 100% safe

#104 ·

I would prefer that the Wingle would suffer changes to allow it to get a better security rating, but i feel safe when i drive one.

One Wingle was rammed on the side by a skoda octavia at 40 km's per hour.
The Wingle had some minor dents, it was repaired in less than a week without new parts needed.
The skoda its still under repair, and needed over 5.000 euros in parts.

Of Course i know that the main reason is the higher chassis from the wingle allowed it to escape without so much damage

#105 ·

yes, this is true, i had the same accidend with hover, the peugeot hit me on side doors driving between 50-60, nothing happend to me, i simply remove my car, while peugeot....was totally broken, even was't able to repair, because cost of repair was too big, so insurance pay a damage to owner

by my opinion best quality report is selling, here is result from italy this year, great wall wingle have better sale then all toyota commercial vehicels, this surely tell something, wingle is not bad car, italian market is second market in EU, behind germany

#106 ·

if you want to sell Chinese vehicles in Western nations, you need to show that they are safe

rightly or wrongly, Chinese vehicles have a reputation for being unsafe

rightly or wrong, the buying public have the perception that a 4 or 5 star ncap vehicle is what is needed

GWM who release a 2/3 star vehicle is not doing anything to allay fears

in this market, perception is reality

here's another perspective... Korean cars had the reputation for being unsafe

back in the late 90's early 00's they made a lot of cars that were 2/3 stars or worse

around the mid 00's they spent a lot of money on safety

now all Korean cars (Hyundai/Kia/Daewoo) are all 5 star

with this Korean companies have enjoyed huge success (even in recession) and are recognised as being world class... Korea also leads in the world in commerical vehicle safety

some people however still continue to perceive Korean cars as being unsafe

this is what China has to do to succeed in Western markets... what they do elsewhere (ie. 3rd world, eastern europe, Asia) is another matter

#107 ·

yes, tony this is right, but people will still need time to accept chinese brands, also it's very important that european media write true about them, many time when i read some articles about chinese vehicles they are wrong

sample is c-ncap test, many european media write that this is copy pase of e-ncap but c-ncap is formed just because of that safety problems, now every chinese car company can test their car, also many other brands use this for marketing at chinese market, there is also some cars like chery a5, gelly panda or roewe 550 who also got 5 stars on those test, who even have better results that mercedes c class or ford mondeo, but any european press will not write about it

also for the koreans, they had the same problems in europe, but for now they are on the market for over 10-15 years, and they success, but all of them now have european plants, while chinsese start to build european plans which will be over for 2-3 years, also there is a differenece because people in 1995 didn't expect so much from vehicles like now, people expentations in 2010 are quite big from new vehicles, so chinese will not have so much time to adopt their vehicles, if they import them more they must be right away at that standard, not only in safety, but in quality also

#108 ·

GWM in my opinion did the right thing trying to import commerical vehicles

the expectation is much lower among workmen

however we have a strong union who are pushing for all work vehicles to be 4 star and above due to work safety laws

i have high hopes for the new 2nd generation Wingle which should have the diesel engines and perhaps better safety

a truck like this like USD$35,000 here

have a look

http://www.isuzuute.com.au/

is GWM can do the same thing for $10,000 less, I think it'll sell well

#110 · (Edited)

micodelija said:
to me this ncap, ancap, euroncap, cncap or other simply isn't important, because i am sure that nobody buy a car to him with him into wall, also how big is the chance that you will have the same accident like this simulation in your life???
* D-Max is 1.5 stars score in EuroNCAP crash test
* In Thailand, between 2002 and 2009, more than 1,000,000 D-Maxs are sold
* Some D-Maxs have no airbags (but a tested car has airbags)

(I think) In some countries, its crash test result may not important if the car model is popular before crash test, or branded with a popular car brandname. So I agree with him.

#111 ·

micodelija said:
to me this ncap, ancap, euroncap, cncap or other simply isn't important, because i am sure that nobody buy a car to him with him into wall, also how big is the chance that you will have the same accident like this simulation in your life???
* D-Max is 1.5 stars score in EuroNCAP crash test
* In Thailand, between 2002 and 2009, more than 1,000,000 D-Maxs are sold
* Some D-Maxs have no airbags
(I think) In some countries, its crash test result may not important if the car model is branded with a popular car brandname.

#112 ·

V240 said:
I wouldn't say the expectation of workmen is lower at all. Commerical needs are just different in most cases to private, safety is important for everyone.
while this is true in an altruistic sense in the real world, companies will take short cuts on safety if it saves a dollar or if people are buying their own vehicles

i worked for years in construction and companies are loath to pay for $50k Hiluxes if a $30k Holden Rodeo will do just as well

for people like couriers they often use the most unsafe vehicles (like Mitsubishi Express (1 star!) and yet if you buy a $50k Toyota Hiace it isn't much better (3 stars).

The best vehicle is still the 4 star Hyundai iLoad (which is the recommended vehicle by Police and Telstra who have a strong union).

Have a look at how many tradesman pick the cheapest $20k white tray ute because that's all the manufacturers sell.

#113 ·

Anyone know what diff's are used in the V240 (Wingle) and if they are the same as any other ute/cars diffs ? I'm interested to know if there is currently any diff locks that may fit. Would also like to do a 2to 3 inch suspension lift but have no idea what will fit this.

They are still too new in Australia and no-one seems to know much about them.

#116 ·

nice photos, really car look ready for the off road:thumb: , but i have some questions, how did you install that front bullbar, this is not an original, from which vehicle you use it? have you remove front bumper or just cut it out? do you have any problems with cooling now? i see on photo that this bullbar close that air holes in front of the bumper

also i want to know, how did you install the snorkel? universal kit or from other cars like isuzu od toyota?

how many km you pass for now, i got diesel 2.8 version, for almost 2 years now, have over 70000 km with it, without any bigger problems

#117 ·

Hi Micodelija,

I looked at and read about your Wingle well before I even bought mine. Sadly we don't get the 2.8 diesel here infact theres no deisel for us yet. I've not done much km in mine as I don't drive it all the time, only drive it for offroad or touring holidays, I have about 12,oookm on it I think.

Car goes well and I've not had any real problems, motor is a little underpowered but does ok. The bullbar was made just for this car by a company here in Australia called ECB.

It's made just for the V240 (Wingle) so it fits perfect, cooling system works fine with it even on days I drive over 40 degrees celcius car doesn't get hot at all. You don;t remove all the front bumper/skirt but have to cut part of it off. The bullbar has air vents in front you can see that direct more cool air to the motor. It's a alloy bar in a powder coat finish.

The snorkel is made just for this car also by a different company called AirFlow but they sell them on eBay as well as in shops. I can find a link to website if you like, I think they sell to other countries.

People in Australia still don't think well of these cars but it's changing as they get to knwo them a little. Still a very new car company to us and people are unsure of cars made in China. I try to tell people they are good cars, over here 4x4 vehicles are very popular as it's a big and very harsh country.

I have put in suspension lift and bashplates under the car as well and you can see the rocksliders (steel side steps) and rear bar I had custom made. I hope to one day get a winch and diff lockers to make it a very good car for offroad but have run out of money lol.

I spent lots on doing up the inside of teh car and making other mods to it.

#119 ·

wow, such a great topic, i will join there and share with you all my expiriance, it's such good 4wd forum, i never found such one

for the rust on vehicle, yes i also have but, but not on paint and other just on chasis, so i did complete chasis protection, it's normal for chinese cars, before 2 years ago we deliver to great wall one great sweden protection kit, and now they put it on new models which are exported to italy, also i sow in on the chinese autoshow that new cars have it, but my suggestion to all will be that you did this protection by yourself, like in china, almost every people when in china buy a new car, they put anti-corrosive protection on them

#120 ·

Look forward to seeing you on there Micodelija, it's a Australian forum but theres no reason people form other countries can't join and share there.

A 4WD is a 4WD no matter where in the world it happens to be lol, lots of great advice and tips for all sorts of things to do with 4WD's and offroading. The forum is run by a 4WD magazine called 4WD Action, great mag to read too.

#121 ·

V240 said:
Look forward to seeing you on there Micodelija, it's a Australian forum but theres no reason people form other countries can't join and share there.

A 4WD is a 4WD no matter where in the world it happens to be lol, lots of great advice and tips for all sorts of things to do with 4WD's and offroading. The forum is run by a 4WD magazine called 4WD Action, great mag to read too.
i try to join to that forum, for now i read so much there, wow, australian 4x4 scene is really strong, many people do many changes at the vehicles, they look amazing, i now wait that administrator give me approval for writing, for now i just got a join in email, but still i am waiting for confirmation mail that i can post topics and other

#122 ·

Yeah we do alot of mods to our 4WD's it's a big and very hard country, but it is also a very beautiful country with much wildlife and wonders. I'm sure you will enjoy the forums there though no matter what country your in.

Did they ever end up releasing a petrol Wingle where you are or just the 2.8 diesel? You've had quite a bit to do with GWM vehicles haven't you over the last 2 years ? We now have the Hovers here also, they got a very good safety crash rating which upset Toyota lol :thumb:

#123 · (Edited)

i drive and had almost every model from great wall, from 2005 year i got first hover, then i had older models like safe and deer (aka 4 runner and hilux) during 2007 year, i also buy new hover in 2007 which was updated with abs and airbags, during 2008 year i also buy wingle and sold older models, i had all type of engines, gasoline or diesel, during my visit in gwm i have drive also the new passenger car vehicles and other, for now in china i visit almost 30 car companies and drive personaly over 300 models of chinese cars, i even drive truck and busses in dongfeng and foton

for the crash test...i personaly had 3 accidents, thank god without any serius injuries, last one was on highway when i fall aslepp and driving over 150 km/h, then i hit the security bumpers and demolished right part of car, my other customer fall in 40m dig and hit the tree, nobody was injured, i had all the photos of that car, they are here at the forum somewhere, car is complety demolished, but all on them were alive, i also was in great wall crash test lab:

here is a photo from inside, also i personaly sow some tests, really amazing

#125 ·

micodelija said:
i try to join to that forum, for now i read so much there, wow, australian 4x4 scene is really strong, many people do many changes at the vehicles, they look amazing, i now wait that administrator give me approval for writing, for now i just got a join in email, but still i am waiting for confirmation mail that i can post topics and other
Yes and another Australian is thankful for your contrubution to the Forum.
When I receive my (V240 Dualcab) I shall post it so as you can see that it is the same as yours-except for colour & RHD. Have you any other members that you know of that have LPG system fitted by GWM.
Regards Trevor TR090

#126 ·

hi trevor and welcome to the forum
yes i have lpg sistem on my hover (x240), it have 4g64 engine which is mainly indetical to 4g69 which is used in v240, you can "surf" thru the forum, i put so many photos of my car there, if you can't find i can post some photos again

i use italian AG LPG sistem, it's very good and my car passed for now with it over 100.000 km, i have bottle on chasis which is 70 liters capacity, sistem is regular for mpi engines, so it work without any problems

#127 ·

Nice photo Micodelija, I'm sure many Australians will look forward to your input.

Trevor, Australian gas warehouse has a LPG system for the V240 here in Australia but at the moment I think thats the only system. Ask your local LPG fitter for a price, if they say theres nothing tell them to ask or look at AGW's website