Volvo China news - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Foreign/Chinese Joint Venture Car Manufacturers > Volvo

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
Raul

Post Volvo China news

Chang'an-Ford started the manufacturing of Volvo S40 cars in Chongqing. Volvo is targeting annual production of 10 000 cars.

Because of the 25% import duties Volvo can't be competitive anymore in the mid-class so it is necessary for them to make cars in China.

The company plans to launch its C70 convertible in China in 2007 and followed by its all-new flagship S80 sedan later that year.

There aren't many car manufacturers anymore in the world WITHOUT production facilities in China

Giorgetto Giugiaro
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #2
m14

Ford owns Volvo, How they can produce it?

Every car is in CHina now...hope chinese cars do good and dont lose market
m14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
AXLE

lets just hope volvo's famous reliability and quality will not be affected as a result of manufacturing these cars in China.
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 AM   #4
jikki

as far as i know,china volvo will be used in police cars in china~

Raul,do you like volvo?they are made in north europe,i think they are too boxy.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Admin
Chery Driver

china government does not want to give contract of police cars to homegrown chinese company?? it will be better for economy

Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #6
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikki
as far as i know,china volvo will be used in police cars in china~

Raul,do you like volvo?they are made in north europe,i think they are too boxy.

Volvo's used to be boxy (in the 70's-90's), but not anymore. In 1998 model S80 was introduced and since then every new Volvo model has been following that design theme. My father has one old Volvo (from 1985) and I think it is very slow, consumes a lot of gas and has a very heavy steering. But I like the way it is

By the way, Mazda 3 production also starts this month in Chongqing. Reason for this is that Ford Focus/ Mazda 3/ and Volvo S40 all share the same platform.

Giorgetto Giugiaro
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Admin
Chery Driver

Default Volvo Starts S40 Production in China

Locally-Built S40 to Improve Volvos Presence in China

One of Volvos biggest successes, the S40 compact premium sedan, is about to take Swedens premiere brand into previously unexplored territory. After much planning, internal debate and consideration, Volvo has given the green light for automobile production in China, in order to improve the brands presence in the worlds most rapidly growing car market.

Volvo will start by building the new S40 at parent company Fords facility in Chongquing China. Ford invested in the Chinese facility with partner Changan in 2001, and has been building cars there since 2003. Ford currently builds several of its products at this plant, including the Chinese-market Ford Focus, Fiesta, Mondeo, and Mazdas popular 3.

"A Volvo must be a Volvo car in all aspects, no matter where it is produced. After working with Changan Ford for over a year, we have ensured that their factory, co-operating with our own experts, will meet our high demands on the Volvo quality," says Fredrik Arp, President and CEO of Volvo Cars.

Volvo currently builds its cars in three factories; the S40/V50 compacts in Belgium, the S60, V70, S80, XC70 and XC90 at its home Torslanda facility in Gothenburg, Sweden, and the all-new folding hardtop convertible C70 at the new joint venture plant with Pininfarina in Uddevala, Sweden.

Volvo used to produce the S40 and V40 in the Nedcar assembly facility in the Netherlands, prior to selling its share to Mitsubishi, which currently builds the Colt alongside the smart forfour subcompact. Volvo also built some North American market 700 and 900-series rear-wheel drive cars and the S70/V70 series cars in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, until its close in 1998.

What prompted Volvo to start building the S40 in China was the fact that many of the brands competitors, including BMW, Cadillac, Volkswagen and Audi, produce cars in China. Another factor that encouraged Volvo to build the S40 locally in China was the high duties on import products.

"Local production is the key to remain competitive in China. We are facing a scenario where the import duty is levelling out on 25 percent," added Arp. http://car-reviews.automobile.com/ne...in-china/1770/
Old 03-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
chinaautoinfo

Arrow Volvo S40 shows Ford's plan in China

The Volvo S40 will be produced by license, just like M6 made by FAW Car Automobile Co., Ltd. I think this is just for Ford to get much more market shares in China. Ford's good relationship with Chinese government will help them to step into the institution car market.
chinaautoinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
ash
CCF Mod

Default Volvo(Ford-Changan) Capitalizes on Booming Car Industry in China

this is pretty crazy since volvo is not doing the best around the world and their market share is soo tinny

http://www.brightcove.com/title.jsp?title=979158819

Volvo Cars will double sales in China in 2007

Fredrik Arp, President & CEO, Volvo Car Corporation.

Volvo Cars did particularly well in China in 2006, with sales volumes growing to more than 7,000 units. "We almost doubled our sales volume in 2006, and our aim is to do the same again in 2007," says Fredrik Arp, President and CEO of Volvo Car Corporation. "To us, China is the most exciting car market in the world. It is a vital part of our growth plans, and we believe that in the next 5 to 10 years China will move up to second place in Volvo Cars' sales chart," Arp added.

"It's a great honor to host President Hu Jintao during his visit to Sweden and Volvo. This will give us an excellent opportunity to inform him about our cars and our plans on how to strengthen our presence in the Chinese market", says Fredrik Arp.

Local S40 production according to plan

Volvo has taken a big step in that direction by starting production of the S40 at Changan Ford Mazda's factory in Chongqing. The first S40s rolled off the production line in the middle of July last year and by the end of 2006; around 4,000 Volvo S40s had been produced in Chongqing. All locally produced cars are sold in China.

In 2007, Volvo Cars is aiming for an annual local production volume of approximately 8,000 units. "The launch of the S40 produced in China has been successful, both from an industrial point of view as well as from a commercial angle. After working with Changan Ford Mazda for almost two years, we have ensured that their factory, through cooperation with our own experts, meets our high demands regarding Volvo quality. A Volvo must be a Volvo car in all aspects, no matter where it is produced," says Fredrik Arp.
ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #10
AXLE

For these Chinese produced s40s do they still use the high quality varying grades of steel that the European produced S40s use? I'm sorry but as a Volvo fan I would never buy a Chinese produced Volvo, in my opinion a Volvo should always stay European.
AXLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement