China Car Forums banner

2019 Chevrolet Onix

16K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  lazarusleo 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
To quote from the Excelle 9BLB thread:

According to SAIC, this Excelle (凯越) utilizes an all-new global modular architecture, which is likely the VSS-F modular "set" that will generate a large no. of passenger cars of various sizes over the next decade. In particular, the VSS-F B/C platform will provide the base for this car (the derived platforms are alternatively coded as JBXX/JCXX/9BXX/9CXX for B- and C-segment cars). Going by a list published by market analysts IHS Markit, the new Excelle is designated 9BLB.

Learn more on the VSS-F architecture here.
This vehicle is probably the one that has been under preparation with the "JBSC" code at Yantai. Previously it was thought the JBSC would be the next Sail (S4), but the latter may be another project, K218, I have heard of being under development (I am not 100% sure).

The B-segment JBXX and 9BXX platforms are variants under the VSS-F B/C set, and I believe the JBXX is the lower-cost version. These platforms, along with their C-segment counterparts, also comprise a subset of the GEM platform initiative of General Motors for emerging markets, i.e. mainly China and Latin America. According to previously published information, the next-generation South American Chevrolet Onix hatchback (JBJC1) and Prisma sedan (JBLC1) too would be based on this same JBXX platform. If this Chinese Onix sedan is indeed the JBSC, then note that the corresponding Prisma sedan of South America will have a slightly longer ('L') wheelbase. Estimated SOP for the JBSC is March 2019.

Note that the wheelbase of the Chinese Onix is 2600 mm, which is the same as that of the K216 Cavalier, so the above speculation could all be wrong and this could well be a Cavalier-derivative, nevertheless I am still inclined to believe that this is a VSS-F based car because the Onix is scheduled to be made at Yantai, per MIIT.

Is it too confusing?

#3 ·
#19 ·
Brother of new Buick Excell will be put on the market at the end of the year with two engine options: 1.3l naturally aspirated and 1.0l turbocharged engines.
Dimensions: 4474/1730/1471mm, with a wheelbase of 2600mm.

【图】搭1.3L或1.0T发动机 雪佛兰Onix申报图_汽车之家
I'd choose the Polo because the Onix is brand-new this year and has a fresh engine. It's advisable to wait a few years and let engineers work out the kinks after the first year of a redesign because it's frequently problematic. The Polo may be uninteresting and lacking in frills, but it has been available in this model for some time and is widely recognised for its dependability, quality, and all-around sturdiness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.