Nanjing/MG Coming to the USA? - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) > Nanjing Automobile

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-24-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
chabbu

Default Nanjing/MG Coming to the USA?

I just found out that a company called Global Holdings International is planning to bring the Nanjing Soyat line and an assortment of other Chinese cars, trucks, busses and heavy equipment (including a bizarre 3-wheeled dump truck) to Mexico and then the USA in 2007!
So if these people are presumably working with Nanjing on federalising the Soyat, might this mean that they will be the distributors for MG when the time comes?
chabbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Windy

I cant believe they want to import the current Soyat cars but it is interesting that that the announcement comes at the same time as the Spanish and UK MG dealerships announcments. Maybe the non-sporty cars based on the current MGs will be sold as new Soyats?

Will Nanjing beat the others to the USA?
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #3
chabbu

Default MG/Nanjing/Soyat viability

On the website for GH Motors Mexico, the only small car shown is the (current) Soyat, which they have model-named "INet". In the US press the company said that they will market everything from "minis" to heavy equipment. So the logical assumption is that they will try to US-federalise the Soyat. In the list of companies they plan to source from, I didn't see any other known builders of economy cars. The Soyat is one of the few Chinese small cars that already has airbags, so that helps a little.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
mgrovernut

Nanjing have to take MG to the US. MG has a huge fan base over there. If Nanjing do decide to take MG to the US then everyone will soon say Cherry who? Seriously MG could be a big player in the USA.....
mgrovernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
chabbu

Default Nanjing Soyat not USA-bound after all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chabbu
On the website for GH Motors Mexico, the only small car shown is the (current) Soyat, which they have model-named "INet". In the US press the company said that they will market everything from "minis" to heavy equipment. So the logical assumption is that they will try to US-federalise the Soyat. In the list of companies they plan to source from, I didn't see any other known builders of economy cars. The Soyat is one of the few Chinese small cars that already has airbags, so that helps a little.
After scrutinizing all of the websites I could find for the GH Motors group, I'm starting to think that the "minis" for the USA referred to by the Taiwanese CEO are actually minibusses and/or minivans, and that the Soyat may be intended for Mexico only.
Still, this means that the North American branch of the operation must be dealing with Nanjing on some level.
Chad
Old 03-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #6
E46DinanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrovernut
Nanjing have to take MG to the US. MG has a huge fan base over there. If Nanjing do decide to take MG to the US then everyone will soon say Cherry who? Seriously MG could be a big player in the USA.....
MG does not have a fan base at all over here. They went out of business here long before they did in Europe.
E46DinanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
Windy

Have you seen the length of the list of USA MG Clubs?

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/clubs/clubus.html

(don't try printing it - you will run out of paper! )

PS. Note - there are four entries in that list just for your home town of Portland Oregon!!!

Last edited by Windy; 03-30-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #8
mgrovernut

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46DinanM3
MG does not have a fan base at all over here..
]

If you check out the list of enthusiast clubs in the varoius states of America you will see just how much the brand is loved in the USA:

http://www.mgcars.org.uk/clubs/clubus.html

Furthermore the biggest single car club in the world is the MG owners club with over 50 000 members many of whom live in the US or the UK! So can I ask you to prove what you just said. Bet you can't, because that the most stupid thing I've heard anyone say on a forum like this ever!
mgrovernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
E46DinanM3

Just drive around in America. You won't see many at all. They did not sell well at all here. Like I said, they didn't even sell enough to stay in business here.

Look at it this way, the biggest MG club has 50,000 people (not necessarliy all owners). Honda sells over 50,000 Accords in 2 months here. The fact is, MG made bad cars. Not even the British liked them enough to keep them in business.

Trust me on this one, I live in the states, I think I would know what Americans like and don't like better then someone who doesn't live here.
E46DinanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #10
Admin
Chery Driver

Even though the bottom line is that in the past MG Rovers failed in the US, it is a brand that defiantely has potential, and i think it is good news that it is being revived by the chinese. There are some companies that failed and werent revived because they had 0 potential, but the MG brand has still a following whether if it is small...and also the designs are quite appealing..
Advertisement