Nanjing to build MG's in Oklahoma - Page 2 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) > Nanjing Automobile

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:17 AM   #11
MartinW

I didn't say it was the arguement, I only use it as a precedent that shows with the right marketing, a car can succeed for an audience that has not seen the badge in over 25yrs.

At this stage it is too soon to start marketing a product that as yet does not exist, and yes, it has to be good from day one. We wait and see.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
mrgq

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW
I didn't say it was the arguement, I only use it as a precedent that shows with the right marketing, a car can succeed for an audience that has not seen the badge in over 25yrs.

At this stage it is too soon to start marketing a product that as yet does not exist, and yes, it has to be good from day one. We wait and see.

MartinW's got a point...in the end it all comes down to marketing....
you can sell a rock if you have good marketing

but for good marketing you need good financial resources...so i hope MG/Nanjing gets a good response for funding in the US
mrgq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #13
dragin

Default breadth of MG appeal

Quote:
.........There are more MG enthusiasts today in the US likely to order one than ever there were Mini fans before the launch of MINI. .......
I agree MartinW.....Mini had a much narrower following in the US before its revival.

Brand brand brand....

Now it should be interesting to watch VW try to revive the Rabbit....

dragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
Admin
Chery Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragin
I agree MartinW.....Mini had a much narrower following in the US before its revival.

Brand brand brand....

Now it should be interesting to watch VW try to revive the Rabbit....
A lot of the marketing with the Mini was helped with the powerful engine and the image that is was sort of branded under BMW and also because of movie Italian Job gave much exposure to it
Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
MartinW

I hate to disagree, but the MINI does not offer a powerful engine. It certainly offered above average handling, one of its strengths often noted, but the two engines on offer at launch were the same South American Chrysler unit either chipped to 90bhp (MINI ONE) or 115bhp (MINI Cooper). It took until the supercharged version before anything like an engine matched the chassis at 160bhp.

The car was largely designed by Rover engineers, and should have had the K series engine. Whilst the K series was noted for its ability to eat head gaskets, that problem could have been resolved easily enough as it subsequently has been with below industry average HGF noted since 2003 on the notorious MG TF models. The K series offers an engine weighing just 100kgs which even in the basic MG ZR offer 105bhp from its 16valve set-up with a better acceleration than even the Cooper, and better fuel efficiency. The more sophisticated VVC 1.8L offers 160bhp, too, as does the 1.8L turbo unit.

Therefore, I think MINI was a great marketing exercise that played heavily on the cheekiness of the original, promising its owner an adventure, and that marketing strategy kicked in before the BMW sell-off of Rover. I agree that its association with BMW has undoubtedly helped and had it been an MG Rover group product, the public would not have tolerated the various recalls as obligingly. More to the point BMW have often emphasised the fact that the MINI is a standalone brand in its own right, but I am sure the association has a big impact, despite its UK design and build. The Italian Job would also have helped push sales on but the movie was post the release of MINI, and was originally to have featured the VW Beetle.

Another advantage of the MINI is the servicing schedule, you pay £100 on purchase and get 5 years free servicing which means the initially high purchase price is somewhat more understandable, along with the promised high residuals that the trade allow for BMW/MINIs. It is however a car for single people and young at heart, it is an impractical car with limited space. However it is a car that makes a statement in a way that the all the others fail to do. And this is what sells cars, but that has to come from a good marketing campaign.

If Nanjing can produce a quality product, turn up the marketing, and price it right, then they have a winner globally for a two-seater sports car. Whether the same is possible with a saloon or hatch is debatable. But sadly, I suspect that both here and in the US, the prejudice towards Chinese products will be it's downfall, and here in the UK, the association with MG Rover products and the negative press of the last 5 yrs will not help.
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #16
Puppetland

Quote:
If Nanjing can produce a quality product, turn up the marketing, and price it right, then they have a winner globally for a two-seater sports car. Whether the same is possible with a saloon or hatch is debatable. But sadly, I suspect that both here and in the US, the prejudice towards Chinese products will be it's downfall, and here in the UK, the association with MG Rover products and the negative press of the last 5 yrs will not help.
There are no definite plans that this will happen in the USA or UK for that matter.
Puppetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
Windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetland
There are no definite plans that this will happen in the USA or UK for that matter.
Yes there are: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5186314.stm
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #18
Puppetland

I remember reading similar stories that SAIC were going to invest millions in to MG Rover to become a true global player.

Last edited by Puppetland; 07-17-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Puppetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #19
Windy

Quote:
I remember reading similar stories that SAIC were going to invest millions in to MG Rover to become a true global player.
Never trust SAIC!

But this is Nanjing and, excluding their potential American parteners, they seem totaly trustworthy.
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #20
Andy

Quote:
Can you remember where you read it from? I would be glad to read those articles.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement