China Car Forums banner

Geely Zhidou (D1, D2, D3)

62K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  CCF mod 
#1 · (Edited)
Zotye Auto, known as the maker of 5008 EV and the cheapest Chinese car, Jiangnan Alto (TT), is developing a micro pure-electric car looking like Mitsubishi’s i-MiEV, according to the Chinese medium "Internet Info Agency." About half a meter shorter than the i-MiEV, a five-door hatchback, the Zotye model has only three doors and one row of two seats.

Sitting on a 2080mm wheelbase, the Zotye micro EV is said to be 2900mm long, 1545mm wide, and 1590mm high, and thus noticeably larger than the electric Smart Fortwo. For functionality, it gets a 10 kilowatt-hour battery pack (compared with the 14 kilowatt-hour on the second-gen Smart EV) and can run at a top speed of 80km/h (the minimum level set by the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology for pure-electric passenger cars). The driving range is about 100km (the Ministry requires a minimum of 80km).

Earlier this year, another Zotye micro EV, the electric Jiangnan Alto (TT) has been found on sale in certain parts of China, available in both low-speed and high-way capable versions. Zotye, however, has not yet officially announced the release.

source:
http://chinaautoweb.com/2012/10/zotyes-electric-two-seater-exposed/

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Zotye’s Electric Two-Seater

The electric Jiangnan Alto looks too much like a car from the 80's. The first model looks more exciting, though its design still needs some work. But it will have to very cheap to be successful. The Smart Electric Drive is now in its third generation, and it's a very sophisticated product, yet if that Zotye is half the price, there will be a market for it.

#4 · (Edited)
Re: Zotye electric car

It is actually the Zhidou ZD-1/ZD-2 from Xindayang (New Ocean Group) that Erik (Hello!) mentioned in this post in the Mini EV thread.

See www.evcar.com or en.evcar.com

Also introduced in Italy as GreenGo iCaro.

In the attached pics of the Zotye JNJ7000EVZ below, we can see the green ZD logo along with the Zotye badge (in the rear-end pic):

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Plant Car Vehicle registration plate

Zhidou:

With GreenGo logo:

#8 ·
Re: Zotye E20

This mini EV model looks like it would fit in with the cooperative letter of intent ("LOI") that Zotye signed with Kandi, "to establish a strategic alliance and cooperate with each others' competitive strengths to advance the EV development in Hangzhou", as reported by Yahoo News in 2012. But now that relationship seems to have been pre-empted by the Kandi-Geely cooperation.

#16 ·
Re: Zotye Zhidou E20

Thank you for that info Dmitra.
What I find interesting and ironic is that although these three auto makers, Kandi, Geely and Zotye, produce their own EV models independently, they have turned to Xindayang for this Smart-like, and Smart-sized, model.

#17 ·

@Dragin:
It could also be the other way round. Perhaps the LSEV makers are desirous of marketing their NEV-rules compliant vehicles and gaining that all-important NDRC type approval quicker by partnering with a major (read: already licensed) manufacturer. What cars these LSEV makers offer their principals are usually a segment below the NEVs offered by the "major" makers themselves or a product not previously in their lineup (development/R&D costs are saved, in the latter case).

That being said, in the case of Geely and its partners (Kandi, Xindayang), there are actually joint production ventures. For the others, i.e., Xindayang/Zotye, Mengde/Youngman, Guangma/Youngman, Rainchst/JMC, it is more of an expedient marketing arrangement, although I would not rule out some KD assembly, if at all that takes place.

Other marketing-type arrangements include Mengde/Dongfeng and Mengde/Lifan, but those are for LSEVs only.

#18 · (Edited)

Would like to have just half of your much coveted sources, Dmitra. :)
Here is a link with words that support what you have said.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...icle-industry-report-2015-2018-300151187.html

It seems that the NDRC are still dragging their feet with regards to setting LSEV manufacturing and licensing policy.
As for Mengde, it seems they are among the more active in partnering.

#19 ·

Thanks, Dragin, for that link.

As for NDRC dragging their feet:

With the tightening of NEV criteria year by year ("double 80" rule will become "double 100" in 2016; the road map from there on is already published), it is very much possible that NDRC never develops any policy towards LSEV standardization. What they will perhaps do (my educated opinion) is try to nudge/push the LSEV makers into developing NEVs which they can then properly certify.

The LSEV makers need not even develop brand-new vehicles for this purpose. With necessary investment into R&D, they can re-engineer existing models into NEVs. As only those companies which are higher up on the financial and technological ladder would be more likely to go this route, this could well be a method by which the authorities set the "men" apart from the "boys", thus paving the way for eventual certification and subsidies.

The first baby steps have already been taken. The above-mentioned makers (Mengde, Rainchst, Xindayang, Guangma) have demonstrated that they are capable of adapting their LSEVs to NEV standards (their cars winning NDRC approval, albeit via third party). For the present they have devised a short-term, stopgap solution of partnering with established manufacturers. Long-term, who knows, they might want to market NEVs independently, depending upon how the market for EVs matures.

Sorry if that was long!

#20 · (Edited)

Current EV development, and related government incentives seem to be gaining momentum, and so in line with your thinking, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the more creative LSEV makers graduate to the big league of NEV. Of course it's all going to depend on that hoped for early recovery from the latest downturn of the economy.

As for the double 80 rule, you enlightened me as to the name of the gov't policy set around 2013, "双八十". For our friends out there who were in the dark, like I was, an EV must be able to run as fast as 80 km/hour, and as far as 80 km on one charge to be allowed on public roads.

Thanks as well for the heads up about those four LSEV makers who are distinguishing themselves in the field.

#21 ·

@Dragin: I agree with your first paragraph.

If I were to pick some hopeful candidates, the most likely manufacturers to transition to the NEV sector over the next few years might be Yogomo, Levdeo, Lichi and Shifeng.

Yogomo does have some type-approved vehicles, mainly cargo versions of their LSEVs, as well as EV and gas versions of their M6320/X6320 (Jieshun) van.

Levdeo of Byvin group is coming up with more powerful, lithium-battery powered versions of their D70 and V60. The V60i is expected to have a decent range. Their designs are good, too. So they are at least heading in the right direction.

Lichi's flagship car, the E9, has a mature design, good enough to be a mainstream car. If any LSEV deserves to become an NEV, in my opinion it is this one. Also remember, Loncin is going to make significant investments into this company and it is their stated goal to make Lichi a major EV player.

Shifeng has shown it is capable of making/acquiring respectable designs - viz. the D101 and D201. Also it is the largest LSEV maker around.

Apart from these, there is of course Kandi (the K10 is a licensed NEV, now upgraded to meet new requirements for 2016). Durabl is another maker which has a car reportedly capable of meeting 2016 standards waiting in the wings.

This discussion is becoming off-topic, deviating from the subject Zhidou E20. I will post further comments/replies in the Mini EV thread under "General Discussion".

#29 ·

@Dragin: I agree with your first paragraph.

If I were to pick some hopeful candidates, the most likely manufacturers to transition to the NEV sector over the next few years might be Yogomo, Levdeo, Lichi and Shifeng.
Further to the discussion about the legalization and certification of Low Speed Electric Vehicle is this article of today:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...nt-low-speed-electric-car-makers-legal-status

Unfortunately it doesn't go too far beyond what we know already, but it does agree with your suggestion that Shifeng will be among the lucky ones.

#23 · (Edited)
No, dragin, Kandi K10 is Kandi's own model, the original small 3-door car. The K10 is the (technically upgraded) NEV-compliant version of their KD5010/5011/KD28E LSEV.

The K11, K17 and K30 are electric versions of Geely's existing cars. Another upcoming Kandi model is the K12.

Here are the models: http://www.kandivehicle.com/ProductList.aspx?classid1=0&classid2=68

More on Kandi: http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7563
K17: http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20184&highlight=K17
K30: http://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4992&highlight=K30