Questions for the "new" MG TF - Page 3 - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) > Nanjing Automobile

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #21
mikoyan

If an engine is DESIGNED to output power @ HIGH rpm, and it does, then what is the problem? I can only say that the engine can operate per or in accordance with its design specs.

I failed to see any strong performance correlations between automobiles in a race since their true performance are subject to numerous uncontrollable and/or unpredictable factors.

An automobile's true performance and characteristics should only be evaluated in a highly controlled environment aimed to eliminate or minimize uncontrollable factors.

Long story short, I know an engineer who was driving a rental 911 in Germany and got overtook by a VW on the autobahn. Therefore, his conclusion was: Porche 911 sucks.

After I heard his statement on that. I then quickly lost respect for his as an engineer.

Just thing about it, he might be just cruising in his rental 911, while a VW red lining the engine with the 4th gear overtook him on the autobahn concludes that an 911's inferior to a VW? Give me a break.

FYI: you video link does not work for me, please verify subject link.
mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #22
mikoyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg-zs
Answer1)
I think with a engine swap its deffo possible.
Not sure if there is a kit for it.
But if there is one it will cost you money.

Answer2)
Everything is possible.
You have to customise the dash your self.
There are people that have done it.

thanks for your reply, but they are far from being practical and constructive.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #23
Windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoyan
If an engine is DESIGNED to output power @ HIGH rpm, and it does, then what is the problem? I can only say that the engine can operate per or in accordance with its design specs.
There is no problem, but you started off by saying it was a "superior Toyota engine" which is somewhat questionable. You shouldn't judge an engine purely by its peak power output, especially when it has a very narrow torque band (thus needing the 6 gears).

As for your decription "outdated Rover K-series piece-of-crap. ", the current version called the MG N-Series engine, and it's currently getting some good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoyan
FYI: you video link does not work for me, please verify subject link.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...cc00d03c2d.htm

Not sure why the video would not work, it appears fine here.

Yes, obviously the Porche is the faster car, but on a typical British racetrack with typical British weather, for some reason two MGs costing around 16,000 new are lapping faster. I think he is trying, the back end is looking a little twitchy at times. The Ferrari obviously isn't trying, a little damp and it's too risky to drive a car like that quickly. The Lotuses etc, well judge for yourself and once you have seen the video, which is the most enjoyable car to drive?
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #24
Puppetland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy
Yes, obviously the Porche is the faster car, but on a typical British racetrack with typical British weather, for some reason two MGs costing around 16,000 new are lapping faster.
All that video clip showed was yet another MG driver with a severe identity crisis - in other words trying to prove their car is not as crap as everyone thinks it is.

You get them all the time, and when these alleged 'MGs' overtake something, even if the other car is nowhere near full chat, they probably go on to claim the MG is faster - when in actual fact nobody cares or is interested - one of the many reasons Longbridge shut.

The Porsche driver quite correctly allowed a pass as they probably didn't want their car rear ended by a rebadged Honda Civic!

Last edited by Puppetland; 11-14-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Puppetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 PM   #25
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy
We were given the option of the Toyota engine once it had been fitted for yourselves, but it weighs more, which rather goes against the design aims of the Elise, and needs to be taken to very high revs to get the extra power, at normal revs the Rover engine produced more and even for track use, a lot of people prefered it.

The Rover engine in the Lotus Elise was the same engine used in the MG TF although more recently the Elise has only had the lower power versions available.

8 months for two sets of tyres - just shows how much fun he was having on the race tracks!

As for driving it all summer long, you can use an MG TF all year long, just be careful where you park it:

LOL i love this pic haha..how do u know its a MG
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #26
Windy

The radio aerial is the best clue!
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #27
Admin
Chery Driver

Default MG TF convertible crash test video(euroncap)

Old 12-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #28
Admin
Chery Driver

Thumbs up 2007 MG TF (ZT edition) video

nice car

Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM   #29
DaveV6

Default Re: Questions for the "new" MG TF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetland
All that video clip showed was yet another MG driver with a severe identity crisis - in other words trying to prove their car is not as crap as everyone thinks it is.

You get them all the time, and when these alleged 'MGs' overtake something, even if the other car is nowhere near full chat, they probably go on to claim the MG is faster - when in actual fact nobody cares or is interested - one of the many reasons Longbridge shut.

The Porsche driver quite correctly allowed a pass as they probably didn't want their car rear ended by a rebadged Honda Civic!
puppetland you knobhead ,that is my video with me driving and you have no idea what your on about.

Dave
DaveV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:54 AM   #30
mikoyan

Cool Re: Questions for the "new" MG TF

Tired of waiting and bored with my supercharged Miata now..

I bought an E46 M3 (2005)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement