China Car Forums banner

Beijing Auto at 2008 Auto China

30K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  Analyst 
#1 · (Edited)
Beijing presented several SUV vehicles at Auto China.

B40:

See less See more
#7 ·
Beijing Auto debuts its own-brand models at Beijing auto show.

April 23, 2008 - The Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Co., Ltd debuted six own-brand models carrying the “Beijing” logo at the 2008 Beijing international auto show.

Of the six own-brand models on display, three are ordinary and luxury “Beijing” concept cars: “Beijing 800”, "Beijing 700” and “Beijing 700R”, and two are new SUV and one Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV). The general manager of Beijing Automotive Wang Dazong said that Beijing Auto is dedicated to creating its independent R&D system. The concept cars on display this time are just the initial fruits of the R&D efforts by Beijing Auto and then the company will boost its R&D capability and production capacity on the basis of collecting lots of suggestions.

Meanwhile, the ‘Beijing’ trademark is also launched with a design similar to Chinese character “北" (which means ‘North’) "The ‘Beijing’ brand in the new era is promoted to be China-famous or even world-famous top passenger vehicle,” said Wang.

Sources said that the Hybrid Electric Vehicles on display are equipped with own-brand Double rotor machine (DRM) technology. The system has integrated the technologies of the electric control gasoline engine, double rotor machine (DRM), electromagnetic clutch, high-power Li-ion batteries.
source: Gasgoo.com

#8 ·
"Beijing" brand cars to recover for production in 2010.

April 28, 2008 - As one of the time-honored Chinese car brands, the "Beijing" brand was restored to its former glory at the 2008 Beijing auto show. Three conventional "Beijing" cars, a new "Beijing" LOGO, and three "Beijing" mid-class and luxury sedan concepts were displayed at the show. The own-brand Beijing concept sedans is slated for mass production in 2010, said Xu Heyi, chairman of Beijing Auto.

The "Beijing" car is one of the earliest Chinese car brands. The BJ212 and BJ130 light utility vehicles were the masterpieces of Chinese auto industry back in the 1960s-1970s. With the opening of China's auto market, Beijing jeeps, once widely used for civilian and military purposes, faded from the fierce international competition for lack of new products to meet the market challenge and demands.

At this year's Beijing auto show, the "Beijing" brand cars showed sign of recovery. The famous brand will be restored to its former glory through its new series self-developed by Beijing Auto as its brand-new products in the mid-class and luxury segment. The Beijing 800 and Beijing 800 concepts displayed at the auto show are the first two models of the Beijing sedan series and will start production in 2010.

The launch of the new Beijing concept sedans is expected to bring the auto-making capabilities of Beijing Auto to a new height and build a window for the world to have a new look at the glorious "Beijing" brand cars.
source: Gasgoo.com

#16 ·
Baw B40 & B51

BAW is set to release two new models for 2010, the B40 and the B51. also, BAW is set to release two new sedans as well. The B40 as stated in another thread was shown the Beijing Auto Show but now it has been approved for production
B40

Can't find any pictures of B51. Sorry.

#18 ·
2010 is around the corner... Hopefully the wheels are turning on getting these out. I would love to see the "Beijing" brand assert itself as a market leader in quality and style.

Anyone have more pictures (particularly the interior) of the 2500 (Cherokee) looking model? Since the B60 is like the Warrior, and the Wrangler-esque model is the B40, is the Cherokee based one the B51?

These models hitting the market would have a serious influence on my next vehicle purchase decision in China (depending upon specs and price of course).

Good job Beijing! Please learn from the shortcomings of the western car manufacturers... When a concept is successful, change as little as possible, and produce it quickly.

#20 ·
Thanks for the link martin. Where can one find a list of BAW/Beijing Jeep dealership locations? If chinabaw.cn is the main website, either it is poorly designed or my web browser has trouble with it.

Also, I meant to ask for pictures/info on the B50/B51. Not sure which number is for the silver Cherokee-based model on the first page of this thread. As it was stated that the B51 will go into production, let's hope that is its assignment. The interior will presumably be in-line with the B40 and B60? If so, that would be great, a huge step-up from the 2500/Qishi. Hopefully they upgraded the engine as well.

I'll be very interested to know when these are to be released. I was considering buying a B60, but if these are real, I would rather wait for a B50/51 or B40.

Thanks again!

#21 ·
Mr. C:
Try: isales@baw.com.cn, callcenter@baw.com.cn,
The website is a real disappointment especially when clicking on "dealers".
There is a dealer list in Chinese at: http://www.baw.com.cn/

Anyone:
To whom do we owe our complements for the design of these beautiful luxury models? I have yet to hear whether it is Bertone, Pinanfarina, IAT or perhaps TJ Innova....Any ideas?

daewoo-chevrolet said:

#27 ·
Anyone:
To whom do we owe our complements for the design of these beautiful luxury models? I have yet to hear whether it is Bertone, Pinanfarina, IAT or perhaps TJ Innova....Any ideas?
Three years late, but here's your answer:

It was done in house by a former GM designer.

Their instructor is trying to change that. Ed Wong is a former General Motors Corp. designer who over the past five years also has worked off and on as an outside design consultant for Beijing Automotive Industry Holding Corp., helping the company come up with uniquely-designed and –styled cars of its own, which it aims to launch over the next few years. Wong — a 1987 graduate of the Art Center College of Design, the Harvard of car design, in Pasadena, Calif. — went to work at GM’s main design studio near Detroit before becoming a car-design instructor in the mid-90s, teaching car design in California and Hong Kong.

Since arriving in Beijing, he has designed, among other cars, the Beijing Warrior, the rugged vehicle China’s army now uses as its main jeep, and the Beijing 800 sedan and several other concept cars Beijing Auto showed at the Beijing auto show in 2008.
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...r-designers-lots-of-talent-few-job-prospects/

#22 ·
Some Google searching yielded a partial answer to my question of when will the B60/51/40 be released.

Supposedly the B40, along with a smaller SUV called the 007, will be coming out May 2010 at the earliest, with advertising campaigns possibly starting by year end.

No word on the B60 or B51/50. Though having test drove the Brave Warrior (BJ2022), I wouldn't be interested in the B60 anyways unless some serious improvements are made. The Cherokee based model looked interesting however, is it possible that the 007 is some rendition of that concept?

I cannot yet post links, but the press was easy enough to find. For those of you interested in the sedan/coupe models, I haven't seen any type of confirmation aside from their pictures being posted on the BAIHC website. Hopefully they will release those quickly for you.

Personally, I will probably be unwilling to wait. Maybe I will look more closely at the Luba now, see if I can find a one or two year old one with the Toyota engine for under 200k RMB.

P.S. to dragin - Thanks for the reply. I don't know nearly enough about all the design firms relationships with China to say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out Pinanfarina had a hand in these. Hopefully someone can find the answer.

#23 ·
Toyota engine? Has Beijing Auto gotten the license to produce the Toyota engine. I know that Geely has, but BAW? I don't think so......
Granted they have done a good job of copying the Prado body but that's par for the course in China. And.... Toyota does not want to make waves in that area, but engines are another thing.

#24 ·
I think the first time I read that the Luba was available with the Toyota 5VZ engine was in your post under that vehicle's thread here.

I have spent some time at the dealerships the past week, and was given confirmation that the Luba can be purchased with the 5VZ engine. It is in their brochures and on several websites as well. How the engines are ending up in BAW's hands I have no idea, they may be knocked off as well for all I know.

Sorry if I have strayed too far off topic...

#25 ·
You are right Mr. C. You remind me that I did say that. And I am still puzzled about it.
That Luba engine bears the Toyota logo clear as day.
The only thing I can figure is that Toyota and BAW have a tech agreement that is under wraps. I guess for some reason the industry press has been silent about it. After all, state-owned BAW is closely connected to China's power base, so BAW gets to do things that no one else can.
The Luba, both inside and out, looks nothing like the 4X4 technology which BAW has traditionally turned out.
And so, if I were you I too would be taking a serious look at buying it.

#26 ·
I will post here in the Rides section once I make a purchase. So you will know what I end up deciding on. Back on topic now...

Even though I will most likely not wait for these new models, I am still very interested to see them in person. Hopefully most of the vehicles shown here will be released in 2010.

If the quality and prices are where they need to be, these models can help pump a lot more life into the Chinese car market (and by extension, these forums).

It seems the "new" Beijing Auto is definitely worth keeping an eye on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.