Pick-up Trucks From China - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Other China Motor Vehicles > Chinese Trucks

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
chinoy54

Default Pick-up Trucks From China

I have noticed that the chinese auto manufacturers have picked up on the pick-up truck (excuse the pun) of late. what's the reason for this trend? to whom do they sell these trucks in china? i have yet to see one on the road in the big cities. now, they're even offering them w/ diesel engines-previously, you could only get them w/gasoline engines.

where i come from, pick-ups are big sellers, especially double-cabs. i'm really curious.
chinoy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
phaeton

Its an interesting segment to watch, I too am intrigued to find out who buys these vehicles in China ?

chinoy54 are you from Thailand ? its the 2nd biggest market of utes sold outside US I think.
phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
chinacartimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoy54
I have noticed that the chinese auto manufacturers have picked up on the pick-up truck (excuse the pun) of late. what's the reason for this trend? to whom do they sell these trucks in china? i have yet to see one on the road in the big cities. now, they're even offering them w/ diesel engines-previously, you could only get them w/gasoline engines.

where i come from, pick-ups are big sellers, especially double-cabs. i'm really curious.
Are you in China? I often sea pick up trucks here, both twin cabs and single cabs. Lots of Chinese ones, but even more old mid to late 90's Toyota's and Nissan trucks.

I'd love to buy a beat up old truck but Mrs. *************************************** would not approve of a dirty rusty old truck outside my apartment.
chinacartimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
dragin

Default Redundance in the pick-up making industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinoy54

The companies listed below produce pick-up models and I believe most, if not all, produce double cab models.
With the exception of the first two, these are low volume producers and virtually all of them start with an Isuzu-based body and then fit front fenders, hood and grille of their own design. However, companies like Shuguang are starting to depart from the pack, becoming innovative with new body designs. The same basic body is also offered in SUV versions.

As you say it is unusual to see these pick-ups on city streets as there are regulations against it. Hopefully someone can elaborate on these regulations.

It seems to me that as the income of farmers and building contractors begins to grow in the interior this market will take off.

In Beijing recently, one of Toyota’s VP’s, Yoshimi Inaba, predicted significant growth in China’s pick-up market in the near future.

It amazes me that so many of the smaller of these manufacturers have remained afloat for this long.

Changcheng *
Zhongxing *
Jiangling
Beiqi Foton
FAW
Beijing Auto Works
Shuguang
Fudi
Changfeng
Dadi
Yuejin Junda
Tianma
Polarsun (Zhongshun)
Gonow (Ji’ao)
Xinkai
Dong’an Heibao
Forta
Nanjing Dongyu
Jincheng
Zhongneng
Jincheng
Yema of Chengdu

dragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
chinoy54

i'm from the philippines, where the pick-up truck segment has a significant slice of the auto sales pie. most are sold to urban cowboys & believe it or not-corporate accounts, & only a very small portion are actually used for their intended purpose. every major brand selling here has several pick-up versions, from gm to ssangyong, & i'm looking for a good model from china to try out in this market. the cheapest versions start at usd14,500, w/diesel engine & manual gearbox. i'm looking for something that i can sell at usd10,000 w/basic options. any recommendations?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
dragin

Changcheng (Great Wall), and Zhongxing would be my top picks for what you are looking for. Unlike the others, they favor Toyota technology rather than the Isuzu-based as mentioned. The Zhongxing being readied by CHAMCO for release in the US next year, is going to sell for around $13,500 according to that importer's website.

Both these brands seem to have been well received across the border in Russia. In fact FAW is marketing the Zhongxing under their brand name. I think Micodelija and Juan who both contribute to this forum would agree that these two are at the top of the heap. Both also offer the diesels you are looking for.

The others I would suggest would be Shuguang and Beiqi Foton. Shuguang is sure to provide you with a rugged reliable powertrain as drivetrains are their specialty. And as you know Foton has lots of hard experience with light trucks. The next in line for you to consider might be Jiangling and Qingling.

One other that I didn't mention is a small producer called Huizhong (SHAC). It's a subsidiary of the famed SAIC, GM and VW's partner. I believe they make a pickup that might offer the quality that the rest of their lines do.

Here’s the Zhongxing Landmark chassis and powertrain.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zhongxing Wuxian 4X2 chassis n powertrain (Small).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	512  
Old 12-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #7
chinoy54

thanks, dragin for the tips. hey, i noticed that you did not include our friend's product, gonow, in your list of top picks, they're actually the first people i contacted, & they've come back w/ a price. great wall we have contacted, as well as foton, whom we represent; we're selling the forland line of light trucks. the problem i have w/ the two is that the moment you mention the 4jb1 diesel engine, the price goes up by usd2,000 at least. apparently, this engine is much sought after, & whoever has the license to manufacture in china, is cashing in. here's a thought, w/ch truck manufacturer has the nissan td27 or qd3200 engine mounted on their pick-ups? might end up cheaper.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
dragin

Gonow's a fairly new player (est 2003) and though staffed with ex-Geely, Zhongxing, and Great Wall managers, it lacks experience. But you'll find it makes up for it with plenty of enthusiasm.
It has also now linked up with Daewoo international Corp to develop new models.
I believe it will take some time before it gets up to speed on quality.

As for the Nissan diesels, I don't know much about their availability but check out: http://www.zhengzhounissan.com.cn

Dongfeng's Zhengzhou plant, a jv with Nissan, is another one I forgot to mention in the above list. They are known for their Paladin SUV and Serena MPV but I'm told they also make some pickups.

Although Dongfeng Nissan has a big diesel making plant in Chaoyang of Beijing, I don't think many of them are for light truck applications.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
chinoy54

thanks for the tip, dragin. got on the zhengzhounissan website & was surprised to find a pick-up w/ a dongfeng badge w/a nissan licensed engine. how is this model doing in the local market? might be just the ticket for me.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:36 PM   #10
chinoy54

an update on the state of my inquiries- got replies from gonow & jiangling, nada from xinkai & dongfeng. need more names, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement