China Car Forums banner

Great Wall Motor Introduction

79K views 70 replies 32 participants last post by  dmitra 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
"Great Wall Motor Company Limited (GWM) is the largest privately-owned automotive manufacturer in China. It is the first privately-owned auto company of China listed in the Hong Kong Stock Market and has obtained HKD1700,000,000 financ -ial investment.With 10 plus years of rapid growth GWM has accumulated enormous economic capacity, becoming the number one taxpayer consecutively for three years in the City of Baoding. It is among “the Top 500 Enterprises of China in 2004" and one of the best brands in national automobile range."

"GWM owns more than 10 subsidiaries and it currently has about 8,000 employees. At present, products of GWM covers Pickups series, SUV series ,CUV series, motor-homes and special vehicles, etc. GWM has the capability of developing engines, front and rear axles, and core parts of vehicles . Great Wall Pickups are the leaders in market share,products range ,export volume,and market occupation among all the pickup brands in consecutive 8 years.Great Wall SUV was ranked the number one in terms of sales volume for 3 years consecutively,promoted the growth of the entire SUV segment in China."

"For obtaining further development and advancing competitive strength, GWM is establishing Great Wall Motor Industry Zone, covering an area of 1,800,000.00 m2 with annual output of more than 400,000 units. It is No.1 project of Baoding and major project of Hebei province. The annual production capacity of GWM will reach 400,000 units covering the full range of passenger cars, pickups, SUV and MPV."

Official website: http://www.gwm.cn/eng/

Model line consists of 7 models:

- Hover CUV
- Pegasus SUV
- Sing SUV
- Safe SUV
- Deer Pickup
- Sailor Pickup
- Socool Pickup

Production in 2005: c.80 000 cars

Also manufacturer of buses.

See less See more
#28 ·
hello sa220 and welcome to forum

please check some older post about great wall engines, we talk about it plenty of time, but here i will write it for you again

2.2 engine is produced by great wall but it's based on toyota 4y engine, it have mpi injection sistem and 78 kw, 2.4 engine is original mitusbishi 4G64 engine, it's older type of engine which mitusbishi used for plenty of older models, it have 93 kw

#29 ·
Thanks for the information.

Research on the Toyota 4YE 2237cc engine shows it to be an OHV (pushrod) engine not an OHC. Now I understand the comparitively low 78KW output for the 2237cc capacity, but I do wonder why GWM used this engine in the SA220/Sailor, in a time where anything else other than OHC is uncommon.

Are there any reports of mechanical issues with the 4YE derived GWM engine?

#30 ·
one more time I advice to you that you read all of older post

first of all you must know that in china is a law about "fuel consumption", that the reason why this engine with 2.2 ccm have only 78 kw, also great wall deliver this engines to many other companies in china, over 20 other companies used this engine or many other derivates of this engine

the same situation is with mitusubishi 4g64 engine and now newer version 4g69 engine, simply because of that law chinese must offer engine with less power, as you know some 4g64 engines have 125 kw, and this from hover have between 90 and 100 kw

for sailor in china you can buy 2.5 and 2.8 diesel engines, it's old based isuzu 4JB1 engines with common rail sistem 2.0, one more time they don't have so much power, between 70 and 85 kw

also you must know that sailor is an older pick up which is for very long time in production and it's simply alternative to new wingle pick up, sailor is made in old factory on old production line, wingle is made in new factory, new production line with much better quality, this is the main reason why sailor have more chaeper price then wingle, you also know that sailor don't have more safety equipment which wingle have, like abs+ebd or dual airbag sistem

all of those older models like sailor, deer, safe and so on will go out of production very soon, or prodution like will be transfered to some other markets like in some other African countries and so on

here is some of my expiriances with those engines:
2.2 engine, I have it in couple of deers and safe model, usually in normal driving he use between 10 liters but in city driving he use between 12 or 15 liters, usually I install LPG sistem on them, also they are very easy for service and maintance, cost of service is very low, also because of "not so modern techink" in them they are much more reliable, we have couple of vehicles which have over 100.000 km without problem, top speed is between 150 and 170 km/h

2.4 mitusubishi engine, I have it in my hover which is sold, and we have over 20 vehicles which driving that engine in hover, all is the same like on 2.2 engine, but it's isn't so noisy like 2.2 engine, also the lowest consumption on 2.4 engine to me was 8,5 liters, personaly i like this engine more then 2.2 engine, very easily you can drive it also on big RPM, between 6500 is block, also i drive off road races very miuch time with it and he never stop, i can say that this engine is reliable, even more then 2.2, top speed is between 170 and 190 km/h

2.8 diesel engine, i had couple of old deer pick up model and new wingle, old diesel engines are very slow, have only 57 kw, low fuel consumption and it's very noisy, but..it's reliable and easy for maintance, new 2.8 engine is much better, have turbo it it, more power, 70 kw, and lower fuel consuption, also goes better and isn't so noisy, however price of maintance is little bit higher than gasoline engines but still isn't so high like for toyota or some other famous brand, we have couple of cars with old engine which have between 80000 km and more, the TC engine in my pick up have 60000 km, of course without problem, top speed is between 160 km/h

#31 ·
micodelija said:
one more time I advice to you that you read all of older post

first of all you must know that in china is a law about "fuel consumption", that the reason why this engine with 2.2 ccm have only 78 kw, also great wall deliver this engines to many other companies in china, over 20 other companies used this engine or many other derivates of this engine

the same situation is with mitusubishi 4g64 engine and now newer version 4g69 engine, simply because of that law chinese must offer engine with less power, as you know some 4g64 engines have 125 kw, and this from hover have between 90 and 100 kw

for sailor in china you can buy 2.5 and 2.8 diesel engines, it's old based isuzu 4JB1 engines with common rail sistem 2.0, one more time they don't have so much power, between 70 and 85 kw

also you must know that sailor is an older pick up which is for very long time in production and it's simply alternative to new wingle pick up, sailor is made in old factory on old production line, wingle is made in new factory, new production line with much better quality, this is the main reason why sailor have more chaeper price then wingle, you also know that sailor don't have more safety equipment which wingle have, like abs+ebd or dual airbag sistem

all of those older models like sailor, deer, safe and so on will go out of production very soon, or prodution like will be transfered to some other markets like in some other African countries and so on

here is some of my expiriances with those engines:
2.2 engine, I have it in couple of deers and safe model, usually in normal driving he use between 10 liters but in city driving he use between 12 or 15 liters, usually I install LPG sistem on them, also they are very easy for service and maintance, cost of service is very low, also because of "not so modern techink" in them they are much more reliable, we have couple of vehicles which have over 100.000 km without problem, top speed is between 150 and 170 km/h

2.4 mitusubishi engine, I have it in my hover which is sold, and we have over 20 vehicles which driving that engine in hover, all is the same like on 2.2 engine, but it's isn't so noisy like 2.2 engine, also the lowest consumption on 2.4 engine to me was 8,5 liters, personaly i like this engine more then 2.2 engine, very easily you can drive it also on big RPM, between 6500 is block, also i drive off road races very miuch time with it and he never stop, i can say that this engine is reliable, even more then 2.2, top speed is between 170 and 190 km/h

2.8 diesel engine, i had couple of old deer pick up model and new wingle, old diesel engines are very slow, have only 57 kw, low fuel consumption and it's very noisy, but..it's reliable and easy for maintance, new 2.8 engine is much better, have turbo it it, more power, 70 kw, and lower fuel consuption, also goes better and isn't so noisy, however price of maintance is little bit higher than gasoline engines but still isn't so high like for toyota or some other famous brand, we have couple of cars with old engine which have between 80000 km and more, the TC engine in my pick up have 60000 km, of course without problem, top speed is between 160 km/h
Thank you micodelija, your information has been most helpful. I am contemplating buying a SA220 (Sailor) here in Australia, but may now look to purchase a V240 (Wingle) instead in order to get a better engine.

#32 ·
my suggestion to you is that you buy a car which will take care for all of your needs, depends what type of work you will do with them

here is couple of issues and differences between wingle and sailor
wingle is more comfortable, but it's also "elegant pick up", personaly i didn't like with him to do some heavy stuff like carrying briks or something like that which i do with old deer model, simply he is a modern pick up, i can say like passenger car, i travel with him thru whole europe without problem, also for the off road deer and sailors have much better angles for those driving, also on sailor or deer you can install very easily off road components from toyota hilux or nissan navara (old type), also "problem" on wingle is that big grill, if you broke something you must repalce whole bumper, while on sailor or deer you simply replace that lower part and this is it, on deer the bumper is from metal, on sailor i think that it's plastic

sailor and deers aren't so comofortable, especally that rear part like to bounce which can make you problems on rainy road, also braking sistem on wingle is much better, but with there vehicles you can do all the hard work and because of lower price somehow you will pass thru it if you damage your car somewhere, for wingle to me it's was a pitty, because it modern pick up, but with deer without problem i do all heavy duty work, also you can install very easily on them bigger tires, while on wingle there isn't so much space

#33 ·
GWM is just starting to come to Australia ..

A piece of advice to GWM management over in China ...

1) For ALL Chinese Car companies that wish to go international .. CHANGE YOUR NAMES !!!! The names are embarrasing ...

2) The quality might be good enough in China .. and might pass foreign government standards .. but foreigners are not stupid and do take independent testing (non government assessment) seriously .. eg. in china ANCAP has given GWM models two stars out of Five ... This is a joke ... GWM has only ONE chance when it enters a market ... if they fail just once .. they will have an extremely hard time to come back into the market .. eg. the failure of Proton in the Australian market ..

3) Spend more on your research and development .. chinese companies in all Industries is trying to take the easy way to make money ... your trying to run before you know how to walk ...

cheers ...

#34 ·
The Great Wall already was in Brazil through the Alexandros Motors, but the operation was very weak and it did not give resulted. Already the Auto CN, that brings vans Hafei Minyi and Jinbei, is making bigger success this way and has net of resales with 30 store. It seems that now the Auto CN goes to bring in fact the GWM in return to Brazil. I wait that it gives certain.

http://www.noticiasautomotivas.com.br/great-wall-vai-voltar-pelas-maos-da-cn-auto/

#36 ·
where i am established brands can expect to depreciate by 50% over 3yrs except for prestige models

since GWM have zero reputation (or worse, negative reputation) you can expect savage depreciation especially since the warranty runs out after 3 yrs

certain korean and japanese brands counter this with 5 to 7 to even 10 yrs warranty

#37 ·
thanks tony,

i have one more question though, do great wall cars come with factory rustproofing? our distributor told me that great wall cars come with electrolytic deposition or electroplating, even better than rustproofing. can someone confirm this for me? micodelija perhaps?

thanks! :D

#41 · (Edited)

Attachments

#48 ·
according to stats great wall this year sold 754,200,
passenger cars are sold in 627,400 units,
pick up models are sold in 126,800 units

haval h6 is best selling model with 217,889 units
haval h5 is sold in 61,875 units

nice small suv m4 is sold in 128,054 units - GWM should bring this car in europe instead of toyota inspired c10 and c20r models
voleex c30 is sold in 126,036 units
voleex c50 is sold in 65,611 units

mpv cowry or new v80 is also have a good sale, 7,861 units, good sale is achived thank to 1.5 engine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.