China Car Forums banner

Introduction to Hafei Motors

51K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  dmitra 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here are some pictures and info about Hafei Motors

THis info is from their official website

"Harbin Hafei Motor Co., LTD (referred to hereafter as Hafei Motor), a subsidiary of Harbin Aircraft Industry (Group) Ltd., is a leading minivan maker and a national small motor vehicles source in China.
¡¡¡¡Hafei Motor was incorporated with government approval on September 20, 1994 as a foreign joint venture company with assets of 4.4 billion CNY. It occupies an area of 1050,000 m2 and has a floor space of 350,000 m2. Further upgrading accomplished enabled welding, painting and final assembly operations to support two production lines running in parallel with an annual output of 300,000 units.

¡¡¡¡Hafei Motor has 5,000 employees including more than 100 senior engineering and administration staff and more than 600 middle engineering and administration staff, who are primarily engaged in development, production, marketing and sales of Hafei small vehicles in series and their parts and spares.

¡¡¡¡Hafei Motor has successfully developed more than 100 models of 7 series of small motor vehicles including mini trucks with one or two rows of seats in cab, minivans, and small passenger and sedan cars.
Songhuajiang China-Italy, a minivan jointly designed and developed with Pinifarina, created a new image with its exterior contour up to world standards for Chinese-made minivans as a perfect blending of performance and style and an excellent combination of traditional culture of China with splendor of Europe.

¡¡¡¡Hafei Motor has the first-rate research and development capability in China. It pioneered the efforts to apply CAD/CAS/CAE/CAM by adopting the advanced concurrent engineering technique and CAD paperless design of small vehicles in series. It has a large team of experienced process planners who are very good at both engineering design and on-site technical administration. Such routine business operations as production scheduling, engineering updating, accounting and inventory control are all computer-aided, and its distributors and appointed service stations are all wired, and quick and easy communication made the orderly dynamic administration of the company possible."

i like this hafei model...nice colour too

and this is their popular model hafei lobo

Attachments

See less See more
#27 ·
Hi DMitra and Eric.
What a pity that Chang'an has let Hafei go to the dogs. I always thought that Hafei showed a lot of promise, and it seems Miles Automotive agreed with me, since they chose the Saibao model as the basis for the Coda EV project in California, which recently, and sadly, joined the list of many failed EV start-ups. Although the Saibao-based Coda model was a bit outdated, some foreign reviewers praised it for its sound quality. I saw the original Saibao III back in 2006, and was impressed with its quality compared to other Chinese domestic makes, like BYD.

I always perceived the folks up in cold country of Harbin and Changchun, as quite skilled and hard working, and in hindsight, I thought that Hafei would have made a much better first partner for Subaru, than the now defunct Avic operation in Guizhou. Even JD Power recognized Hafei with some decent ratings in the past.

Anyway, as a state-owned enterprise I don't think Chang'an had the imagination, or the creativity, to manage the assimilation of Hafei or Chang'he.
Here's what gasgoo recently had to say about Hafei's fate:

http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china-news/hafei-may-help-changan-market-list-with-oem-hat-140401.shtml

#28 · (Edited)
Dragin, your reply is very much appreciated, and thanks for the Gasgoo story link. It more or less confirms what I had been reading in the Chinese media. Even sadder because this is the company that had the confidence to come out with independent designs like the Zhongyi (pretty modern for that time in China but with Pininfarina's help of course) and some years later the Lobo, a car that was even assembled in a number of countries abroad.

#29 · (Edited)
New life for Harbin Hafei plant under Changan-Ford

Ford Focus production begins at former Hafei plant in Harbin, now completely renovated. Another model, code-named I06, is also scheduled to be produced here.

http://www.autohome.com.cn/news/201702/898969.html

According to an agreement from 2015, 40% of the capacity (80,000 of 200,000 p.a. total) will be currently utilized for OEM supply of the Alsvin V3 until the I06 comes on board, subsequently production adjustments can be made based on relative demand.

#36 · (Edited)
After the separation of Changan-Ford and Changan-Mazda, it became necessary for Ford to vacate the latter's plant in Nanjing where the Fiesta was being made. At the same time, the Harbin plant was almost idle, so Changan-Ford felt it prudent to consider acquiring that unit. Anyway, Fiesta production has not taken place in China beyond November 2015.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.