Questions for the "new" MG TF - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > SAIC (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation) > Nanjing Automobile

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
mikoyan

Question Questions for the "new" MG TF

I've had my eyes on the "new" MG TF for a while now.. However, it is hard to find any technical data of it. So, I thought it might be a good idea to come here are probe y'all for some answers.

First of all, I want to say that I now own a 6-speed MX-5 Miata with a supercharged engine. Frankly speaking, I really like it, which makes me a potential MG TF owner, if it comes to the NA and meets my expectations.

Q1: Is there any after-market vendor makes a super or turbo charger kit for the TF. I now drive a 6-speed 2,100lb Miata with almost 200bhp. And I really don't want any performance penalties when switching cars. Oh yeah, and call me old school, I just don't think a performance car should come with a 5-speed trany.

Q2: Is the dash going to be modernized to house a Double Din sound system? The current single Din slot just looks old and truly limits future upgrades (with GPS, DVD, etc).

Oh and I am seriously looking in to the Solstice GXP (Jazz) after seeing the Transformers movie. Someone needs to talk me out of it..

Cheers.

Last edited by mikoyan; 09-01-2007 at 09:38 AM.
mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
Seamaster

No and no.

Maybe in the "all new" 2009 TF NAC are telling their dealers about.
Seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
Windy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoyan
I now drive a 6-speed 2,100lb Miata with almost 200bhp.
Isn't a Miata supposed to be 500lb more than that even without a supercharger?

Power is not important, what is your 0-60 time?
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
mikoyan

Sorry for the late reply, here are some answers to your question.

1. The car IS in the 2,200 lbs range, superchargers are much lighter than turbochargers, i think mine only weights approx. 50-70lbs, but don't quote me on that.

2. HP and torque - hence power, is very important, on the other hand, engine displacement is not so much any more these days.

3. On a cold day, I can do 5 -6 sec. (0-60) in the race track, worse in warmer summer days. (of course, my own timing is not as accurate as one hopes)
Old 09-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
mgrovernut

Also bear in mind the TF is mid-engine like a Lamborgini or a Porsche which helps handeling, so when you go through the corners your onto a winner...

That said the TF is an old design which now need some modernisation. If you get it at the right price your onto a winner though...
mgrovernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
mikoyan

Yes, it is mid engine rear drive config., however, does anyone has MG TF's weight distribution on all four tires (with a driving inside, of course)

The new miata's (NC model) weight distribution is 51% front and 49% rear, which is extremely impressive. Installing a anti sway bar and a roll bar, makes it corning like on rails.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Puppetland

Quote:
First of all, I want to say that I now own a 6-speed MX-5 Miata with a supercharged engine.
Why would you want to downgrade to a MG?

In the UK, the MGF & MG TF were widely regarded as a distant second best to the Mazda MX5. The British built car also had appalling build quality as well as costly engine reliability issues.
Puppetland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
Windy

Quote:
The new miata's (NC model) weight distribution is 51% front and 49% rear, which is extremely impressive. Installing a anti sway bar and a roll bar, makes it corning like on rails.
That is impressive but you also want the weight to be as close as possible to the axis of rotation to reduce the rotational inertia and thus increase the steering responsiveness, I doubt the new Miata gets anywere near the TF on that measurement...
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
Seamaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetland
In the UK, the MGF & MG TF were widely regarded as a distant second best to the Mazda MX5.
So widely regarded as such that they outsold the MX5 there every single year year they were in production.

With a memory like yours I'm surprised you can even remember where the ON switch is on your PC, let alone to put your HEAD-TYPING STICK on to post drivel like that.

Last edited by Seamaster; 10-12-2007 at 05:32 AM.
Seamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #10
BringIt

I had a 99 Miata and loved it. I hope this MG is all it's cracked up to be and well made. I can't wait to test drive one once it's available in the US, though I hope they don't price it out of my range.

The exclusivity of it along is worth buying over the current Miata, which by the way, is ugly as hell... yuck. The Solstice and Sky are nice, but too "flashy"; trying way too hard if you will. At least from the pics this MG is really great looking - classy and tasteful.
BringIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement