Chery announced a JV with South American company to build bulletproof sedans in China - China Car Forums
chinese cars - china car forums, chery, geely CCF - The Chinese Car Community China Car Forums - Zhonghua Junjie
Home :: Forums  :: Manufacturers :: Articles :: About Us :: Vendors :: Analysis Reports

Go Back   China Car Forums > Chinese Car Manufacturers > Chery

ChinaCarForums.com is the premier Chinese Car Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Real_I_Hate_China

Default Chery announced a JV with South American company to build bulletproof sedans in China

http://www.reuters.com/article/merge...A3526820070313

Quote:
CORRECTED - CORRECTED-(OFFICIAL)-China's Chery forms jv for bullet-proof car

(Corrects the location of the venture to China in first paragraph, after Chery provided a revised statement)

SHANGHAI, March 13 (Reuters) - Chery Automobile Co., DaimlerChrysler AG's (DCXGn.DE: Quote, Profile, Research) partner in China, said on Tuesday it had set up a manufacturing venture with a Uruguay partner to make bullet-proof passenger cars in China.

Chery will provide the technology and take a 70 percent stake in the venture, with Uruguay-based Bognor Automotive Manufacture and Assembly holding the reminder, the Chinese company said in a statement.

Chery said the bullet-proof cars would be based on its mid-range Eastar sedan and sold mostly in overseas markets, although it provided no immediate information on sales or production targets.
Reuters Pictures
Photo

Editors Choice: Best pictures
from the last 24 hours.
View Slideshow

With few production facilities overseas, Chinese car makers, eager to make a name globally, have been teaming up with foreign partners, mostly in developing countries, to make vehicles targeting the local market.

In December last year, Chery reached a landmark deal with DaimlerChrysler enabling it to build vehicles under Chrysler's brand for sale in the United States and Europe.

The mid-sized but fast-growing Chinese automaker has also held talks with Fiat (FIA.MI: Quote, Profile, Research) on expanding their ties following an earlier engine deal, a senior Chery executive told Reuters in October.
Armoring Son of The Orient is quite a risk; The Magnus chassis was never intended for any stretching or substential weight increase. Chery already weakened the Magnus chassis by stretching it by 100 mm; adding armors to it could potentially break the chassis.

There is a good reason why foreign armored vehicles are full size sedans and SUVs that could handle he weight doubling. The Magnus chassis can't take the weight doubling.
Real_I_Hate_China is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
BringIt

You're assuming they don't heavily modify the chasis. From an engineering point of view, anything is possible. Heavier gauge of steel, more reinforcements and welds, beefier parts, whatever.

In the West bullet proof is usually done to large cars or SUVs, most of the time luxury models. The reason is simple enough: market forces. People who can afford bullet proof cars ain't gonna ride in a Hyundai.

For Uruguay, a mid-sized bullet proof Chery will do just fine.

I do question the significance of this deal. Just how many bullet proof Chery's can they sell???
BringIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
phaeton

LOL

I wonder if it will improve the crash rating ?
phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Admin
Chery Driver

Lightbulb Chery Building Bulletproof Sedans in Joint Venture

SHANGHAI, China Chery Automobile has announced a joint venture with a South American company to build bulletproof sedans in China. The cars will be built based on the Eastar midrange sedan and are intended for export around the world.

The joint venture is with Bognor Automotive of Uruguay, with Chery holding 70 percent of the venture and Bognor the remainder, Reuters reported today.

Chery did not reveal details of its plans either for production numbers or targeted countries for export
Old 03-17-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
KING_OF_HILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringIt
I do question the significance of this deal. Just how many bullet proof Chery's can they sell???
If you have ever been to Nuevo Laredo or Tijuana Mexico you will know who valuable a bullet proof car can be. Those war/drug torn towns in mexico and south america have a huge demand for moderate bullet proof cars.

These bullet proof cars are not for the social elits but rather some upper middle class folks who would like to have bullet proof as an option when they go shopping for a new car.

That's what this JV is all about.

KING_OF_HILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
LLZH

www(dot)cheryglobal(dot)com/armouredcars/index.html

watch its testing video (dot is for .) haha after a few more posts I will be able to use "."
LLZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #7
LLZH

www(dot)cheryglobal.com/armouredcars/bulletproof.html

more info of it
Old 05-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
LLZH

www(dot)cheryglobal.com/armouredcars/list.html

and more
Old 01-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #9
CCF mod

Chery Acquires a Big Order of Super Bulletproof Cars from SA.

Quote:
On Nov. 1, Chery Armored and Sateh Afrique from South Africa officially signed a sales contract. It is known that Sateh Afrique will order 200 units of super bulletproof car from Chery. This is another breakthrough of Chery bulletproof cars in the international market since Sep. 23, 2007 when the first batch of bulletproof Eastar was exported to Brazil.

As a famous commercial venture in South Africa, Sateh Afrique mainly deals with electrommunication, mechanical equipment, special safety products, and vehicles etc. Having established branches in 22 countries and regions in Central, South, and West Africa, it is the first agent of Chery super bulletproof cars in southern part of Africa.

Mr. Godfrey, CEO of Sateh Afrique said, 'After a 9-month investigation on bulletproof car refitting company in Germany and France etc, we found the website of Chery bulletproof cars via Internet. This on-the-spot visit to the assembly line of Chery bulletproof cars convinced us of the high quality of Chery products. We have every confidence in exploitation of bulletproof car market in South Africa.'

The mass-produced super bulletproof cars of Chery include two models, the Eastar and the Tiggo3. Since entering the market in April this year, they have received very positive feedback from the international market. Chery bulletproof cars are highly thought of by some war-riddled countries and regions with security problems and chaos, and Chery bulletproof cars' mass sales has been achieved.
source: cheryglobal.com
CCF mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
bankai701

Default Re: Chery announced a JV with South American company to build bulletproof sedans in C

how would one go about getting a bulletproof car? I mean is there a specific license i must get if i want one? My dream car would be an all black bulletproof Chrysler 300. i tried looking it up on the net but i haven't found much info about it so far. Actually that's how i came across this post.
bankai701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement