China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
16,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From China Car Times - The Honda City is a small sedan that Honda have produced chiefly for the developing markets of India and Brazil. Although we are unsure of the exact details of the car - is it just a sedan version of the popular Honda Fit model? We have however, learned of a new generation of Honda City that will be soon launched across Asia.

The new City appears to take on the aggressive styling of the latest 8th Gen Honda Accord, which is probably the nicest looking Honda to date (in China Car Times humble opinion, of course).

Article in Chinese:
http://www.autohome.com.cn/news/200807/42292.html

·
Administrator
16,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guangzhou Honda to make new City car.

October 6, 2008 - Guangzhou Honda will soon begin production of Honda's brand-new City car, the Beijing news reported today.

The car will probably have a new name because it targets at different consumers compared with the existing model, the report cited an informed source from the manufacturer as saying. The new City will be an A-class car instead of A0-class, to which the current City belongs.

The new City is reportedly powered by 1.5-liter and 1.8-liter engines, and both engine types will be mated with the 5-speed autonomous transmission. The sales of this third-generation City model mainly targets consumers in Asia and other emerging markets.

Honda's first-generation Honda City was introduced in 1996, quickly responding to the growing needs for automobiles in Asian markets associated with economic growth in the region.

Today, the City car is produced in seven countries and enjoyed by customers in 39 nations around the world.
source: Gasgoo.com

·
Administrator
16,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Honda City has been unveiled in China by Guangzhou Honda at the 2008 Guangzhou Motor Show, but it will only make a showroom debut with official prices on the 12th of December 2008.

What’s most interesting is in the Chinese market, the City will come with two engine options. One is the new 1.5 liter i-VTEC that we’re also going to get, but the other engine option is the R-series 1.8 liter SOHC i-VTEC from the Civic 1.8.

A lightweight Honda City equipped with a 140 horsepower 1.8 liter engine could be loads of fun. China always gets special deals such as this, for example the current generation Toyota Vios sold in China is equipped with a 1.6 liter Dual VVT-i engine while the rest of the world have to make do with the 1.5 liter 1NZ-FE family engine.

I’m not sure if this is what Guangzhou Honda meant by developing a Civic competitor (the Civic is sold by another Honda-linked company in China).

A previous report said a 1.8 liter engine was going to be plonked into the City to create a C-segment competitor, but an engineer quoted in the report also mentioned that the new 1.8 liter City-based car would have Civic proportions and a new name and shape.

Honda City specifications (Malaysian market):
http://paultan.org/archives/2008/10/13/2009-honda-city-in-depth-details-and-specifications/

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: 2009 Honda City

this car looks really good.

i would rather have this than a Fit.

dreams of a Honda City Type-R :cool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: 2009 Honda City

Just saw this for the first time last night here in Nanning.........it was parked on the street so I had the chance to do a walkaround.

Quick impressions: it is BIG - bigger than it seems in photos. The old City was similar in dimensions to the Fit (as far as length, wheelbase, etc.), but the new City seems more like a slightly smaller version of the Civic - think of the Civic slightly squashed at each end, and you have the new City!:lol: It is a attractive car on the outside - I think it has a slightly more 'agressive' stance than the Civic.....perhaps the 'slightly squashed' look is a good thing!! A nice blend and balance of all elements - a VERY nice looking car all around. I look forward to seeing the interior soon....maybe even a test drive?

I think what Honda needs to look at now is the bottom end of the market - let's get a 50-60,000rmb Honda sub-compact here in China!! They have some GREAT little Kei Cars in Japan like the Life and Zest (yes those ARE car names) - put a 1.0 liter in there, build it in China and and keep the price in the 50,000rmb range (a little more with all the options) ..........a nice entry level Honda that would be perfect for the crowded city streets of China. There might not be much of a profit margin per car, but it builds a whole new legion of Honda owners that will most likely upgrade to a bigger Honda for their next car! Think about it Honda - if Suzuki can do it with the new Alto, you can do it too. Toyota is trying with the Yaris, but it's too pricey. Nissan? Nothing. The subcompact market in China is turning into the hottest, most competitive segment of the market - I think Honda NEEDS to get in the game because they have products that would work VERY well within that market segment. Come on Honda - what are you waiting for?!?:nod:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts