China Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes JM, I too find it curious that little Dadi has made it to California. That old light truck technology will be a hard sell there in a state where the automotive buying public is quite sophisticated. But there are already other Chinese made vehicles on the streets of that sunny state, namely Coda, Zap, DYMAC, and Wheego, if those can be counted.

And what surprises will 2010 bring in the way of more recognized Chinese products making it to U.S. shores? You are right GM might try to plug a model into the market from somewhere like the very successful SGM-Wuling operation. But even more likely would be the Panda Nanoq EV finding its way into Volvo showrooms since many of those dealers are hungry to find attention grabbers to put on the showroom floor.

And then there are BYD's claims to enter the California market as there first splash. But again the Californians are so savy that putting a completely unproven model like the e6 in their hands may be folly. Even Toyota had to learn the hard way when its Crown tumbled like humpty dumpty back in 1958.

Getting the transmission of power to the wheels smoothly and seamlessly on the EVs and HEVs is going to be quite a challenge for Chinese companies. That acheivement is an absolute must.

I thought Brilliance might make a go of entering the U.S. market following its entry to Europe but now I'm sceptical about its chances. Maybe under Yang Rong it may have happened but now Brilliance is even struggling in China.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
.....adopting the widespread use of BLDC hub motors that can offer regeneration right in the wheel without the need for A/C conversion expenses. With the complete drive train located right inside the wheels, space previously used for the transmission, differential and drive shafts can now be used to both house battery packs and increase passenger space/decrease weight and design excesses....
The challenge here Dr. Al is managing the increased unsprung weight. If these hubs are too heavy then handling will suffer, i.e. once the rubber leaves the road forget about trying to steer the car. Oh yeah making them of light weight materials will take care of that but at what cost.....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
daewoo-chevrolet said:
..... Jianghuai (hopefully they'll use the full name instead of JAC, because of the Dutch meaning of "jakkes" [1) Bastard Curse 2) Interjection 3) Interjection of disgust 4) Exclamation of disgust])
DC I agree with your prediction but would say that FAW should not be counted out, in view of its shear size and wealth. As you know it did have plans for a foray into North America via Mexico but the recent economic slump seemed to put a damper on that try, at least for now.

As for the name "JAC", although it is not a good fit for Europe, in the U.S. I think it could work. It's very brief, easy to remember, and strong sounding. I think most people would associate it with the nickname for John, or with sayings like Jack of all trades, Jack and Jill, etc..

I would just add that I don't think Jianghuai would fit in either Europe or the U.S.. Like Qirui chose Chery and Jili chose Geely, Jianghuai needs some global savy marketing folks to find a suitable name.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts