China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Kudos. Finally we see some originality in front end design.
As for the rear, it will take some getting used to.
The instrument panel and console are a bold departure from symmetry. But I can't quite make sense out of the odd looking gray grille on the passenger side.

A number of Chinese makers have hired on foreign designers but as far as I know Dongfeng Fengshen is not one of them.

The Aeolus name of the now Dongfeng independent "Fengshen", is a reminder of what once was a joint venture with Nissan's client, Taiwan's Yulon and its production of Bluebirds.

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The previous generation (G29) got its makeover last December as a 2018 model, so I would expect that to continue for at least another year and a half (for a total of at least two years), if not more, alongside this generation (X37). Some articles have referred to the X37 as AX8, so I guess this was at some point intended to be launched as a separate model.

Note: D27 is the Aeolus AX4.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suppose you meant the latest 5008 (P87).

No. The X37 Aeolus AX7 (II), G29 Aeolus AX7 (I), and S29 Fengdu MX5 are based on the Dongfeng DF2 platform, whereas the new 5008 utilizes PSA's EMP2 modular architecture.

Reportedly, the DF2 was developed by Donfgeng's military engineering division mainly for civilian use (to recoup costs) and was initially referred to as "Dongfeng Military Industry No. 2 Platform" (东风军工二号平台). It was to see implementation in cars (sedans) as well as SUVs, for which knowhow and features were adapted from Dongfeng's partners Nissan (old Sylphy, for cars) and Honda (old CR-V, for SUVs). [That is why the S15 Aeolus A60 is so similar to the Sylphy]

From 2017, Dongfeng has started working on an improved "second-generation" DF2 platform, which will be modularized.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts