China Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone can import a geely to North america...want to be one of the first to have them

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you in North America mrgq? If so, theres no point. Chances are the cars dont meet federal pollution regulations. I tried to import a BMW diesel from Sweden but the safety standards and pollution emissions werent good enough for the USA.

·
Registered
29 Posts
chechnya said:
Are you in North America mrgq? If so, theres no point. Chances are the cars dont meet federal pollution regulations. I tried to import a BMW diesel from Sweden but the safety standards and pollution emissions werent good enough for the USA.
Are you from chechnya? russia?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Want to save time? Take a few grand, walk into your bathroom, flush all your money down the toilet.

You can easily get someone to sell you one. You can easily get it to a port in the US. You can easily get it unloaded from the boat.

And you will never, ever get it any further.

These are words from painful (and very expensive) experience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Rock-N-Roll said:
Want to save time? Take a few grand, walk into your bathroom, flush all your money down the toilet.

You can easily get someone to sell you one. You can easily get it to a port in the US. You can easily get it unloaded from the boat.

And you will never, ever get it any further.

These are words from painful (and very expensive) experience.
Many here in the US have had that exact same experience with the Skyline. They destroy them right there on the dock, I've heard. Brings tears to my eyes.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Stupid question, why?
I don't doubt for a minute but wonder why they destroy instead of selling for duties or taxes?
Ten years back, we imported 'grey market' used japanese tractors. Lots of paper work and bonding, but we could land a Kubota 4WD tractor for a quarter the cost of a retail new unit. LOL, learned that a used item in japan becomes an insult and must be thrown out or destroyed.
Talk about your ideal consumer society living the american dream!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
bassfisher said:
Stupid question, why?
I don't doubt for a minute but wonder why they destroy instead of selling for duties or taxes?
Ten years back, we imported 'grey market' used japanese tractors. Lots of paper work and bonding, but we could land a Kubota 4WD tractor for a quarter the cost of a retail new unit. LOL, learned that a used item in japan becomes an insult and must be thrown out or destroyed.
Talk about your ideal consumer society living the american dream!!!
Seriously, they don't actually destroy them on the dock. They DO sieze them and sell them at auction FOR EXPORT ONLY.

Tractors (off road) are a world of difference (easier).

My (painful) experience involved older volkswagens. Unfortunately, they were not old enough (25 years old+, the US checks nothing) 17 vehicles taken.

If an auto has not been imported into the US before, you just can't do it (legally) one at a time for personal use. Unless you have unlimited funds, that is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are - they are called "registered importers" (RIs) and here they are;

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/RiHT0012.html

Be prepared to spend no less than 3 times the cost of the car to get it done, plus a year of time. Plus you need approval from the government for them to say that it would even be possible. (it isn't)

Your registered importer must be able to petition the US government that the modifications are possible to bring the car into compliance (because you as an individual cannot do so). A RI will want money up-front to even look at a potential vehicle that has not previously been imported, if they are willing to look at all (which they are not)

You need to be importing an entire brand of cars to make this cost effective - or import $400,000 vehicles.

Or, do what people used to do with Austin Minis (not that I ever did such a thing) Have the vehicle you want completely dismantled in the country of origin, and send piece by piece via UPS.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts