China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Jennifer Ditchburn
OTTAWA (CP) — Ni hao to cheap Chinese cars!
A new poll suggests a quarter of Canadians would be interested in buying a $10,000 Chinese car once it’s available on the domestic market.
The Canadian Press-Decima Research survey found 21 per cent of respondents said they were likely to buy the car, with another four per cent saying they were certain to go for the $10,000 deal.
The A1 hatchback is expected to be introduced on the North American market next year by U.S. automaker Chrysler.
Quebec respondents were the most likely to express interest in the car, with 43 per cent saying they were either certain or likely to buy it.
And, in a perhaps sorry reflection of consumer attitudes toward domestic cars, more than half of respondents said they believed the Chinese car would be of better or equal quality to North American models.
“I think it says that people are not feeling great about the level of quality they think they get from North American cars,” said Jeff Walker, Decima’s senior vice president.
“It also says something about the perception of quality of Chinese products. If you had asked this question five years ago, we wouldn’t have seen this result. But it’s clear that people are starting to believe that you can get both inexpensive and relatively decent quality items from Chinese production.”
Chrysler Group announced earlier this month it would begin selling Chery Automobile Co.’s A1 in 2008, with plans to market other models in the future. With a pricetag of approximately $10,000, it would cost half the price of Chrysler’s least expensive model.
Walker said the data suggests there would be a strong niche market for the low-cost car in Canada, even though two-thirds of those polled said they were unlikely or certain not to buy one.
“Carmakers will tell you that if they see two per cent of the population that’s a great number. When people without seeing this car, just seeing the price and taking whatever considerations of quality into account, 25 per cent say they’re going to look at this — that’s a pretty significant number.”
Meanwhile, the recent bad publicity out of China linked to contaminated medical supplies, dog food ingredients and other products does not seem to have dampened the initial reaction to the car. Walker says some Canadians might subconsciously equate a Chinese car with the quality of Japanese models, and probably do not make a link between the food and drug scandals and bigger ticket items.
“In the case of a car, everyone would be understanding that if you’re going to try and produce a car for the North American market you’d have to meet North American standards, and this car could.” The poll of just over 1,000 Canadians was conducted July 5 to July 9. The margin of error is 3.1 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Must come with GOOD quality.

Chery must start with absolutely new tactics

Cheap price, good quality. And Chery will make it big.

·
Registered
561 Posts
well im one of them. university student that can only work 4 months a year, what else can i buy?

well i think the major reason canadians want cheep chinese cars i cause we have no loyalty, all the cars here are either american, jap, korean, or europeans. theres no canadian brand cars (other than the "quebec bomber" lol).

·
Registered
90 Posts
thanx to NAFTA, 'canadian built' autos can have no canadian content, the parts are from china and the finish is mexican. Why not just deal direct and buy the actual china auto?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Canadians seems to be more open minded and more informed, not to mention less egoistic. There's not as much media-hyped anti-China sentiment either. Good for Canada. :thumb:

·
Registered
33 Posts
BringIt will be disappointed then when Chinese cars are sold in Canada and front page headlines in the newspapers and leading stories on TV news will be about freezing Canadians in their Chery crapboxes. Can't wait to see the reaction to poor test-crash results. Or see the faces of customers when they see a chinese car, or the reaction of their friends when they by one. Chinese cars are barely road tested in China, try testing them in Canada during the winter (yes China has winter, but different from Canadian winter), the road salt is different, well there is road salt to begin with and the type of cold is different as well. Hard to explain, but after a few winters in both Canada and China, I can tell there is a difference and I am sure my car could tell the difference as well... actually my car probably won't mind either winter, its not Chinese.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It may be the angle of the photo (of course not, its Chinese designed, trying to be polite today), but the wheels look too small for the truck.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What a typical Western media brain-washed moron... other than regurgitating shiat fed to you thru the idiot-tube, is there anything worthy that comes out of ur pie-hole? By the time Chinese made cars make it to Canada, rest assured they will be comparable with the average competition.

Wheels too small? Take a look at all SUV and trucks in Canada, the wheels to vehicle ratio is exactly the same. Of course there are upgrade wheel packages or after market ones that's bigger - I'm sure u can do that to this truck too.

It's a nice looking SUV. Accept the fact.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yesterday afternoon I toured one of the newest car plants in China, a private tour from director so could see everything, not typical press-junket and he was very honest about the short-comings of the plant.

It was quite impressive, even though we could see there were many issues with training the staff that remained outstanding, middle management seemed deficient, as well as the design of the vehicles being assembled could be better thought out and would obviously cause reliability issues sooner rather than later.

I have written about Chinese car industry for a while as an analyst, I know it quite well as well as Chinese and foreigners who work at the manufacturers in China and I hear the truth about the industry from them. I don't live in Canada any more, and don't watch any North American television, so not infected with the pablum you get.

Its reasonable looking on the outside, but don't be typically Chinese and think that is all that matters. The interior, the ride, the build, reliability are all important, particularly in Canada when if it is below zero, your life can depend on reliability. This isn't an over-statement when it is minus-20 in Winnipeg and you will get frost-bite in 3-minutes on unexposed skin when the engine doesn't start and you can not call for help or walk anywhere.

I will stick with my Hilux for now, for the extra cash, it is worth the smoother ride, higher safety and better reliability.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Keep it cool everyone ;)

Its an interesting fact that Canadians accept an inexpensive Chinese car.

I'm not so sure if Australia would follow, yes cheap cars look attractive but 2nd hand Yaris/Corolla with its reliability (& cheaper parts, servicing etc) is more attractive IMO.

An interesting fact Toyota's Hilux which is very pricey in its segment is the cheaper to run vehicle when you compare it to a TATA Telcoline which is dirt cheap build in quality and in pricing but parts are very expensive.

So the Chinese and Indians need to combat this and perhaps follow Toyota/Hyundai in there lean production processes before anyone will take them very seriously.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, that is issue in Chinese market as well, do you want good quality second-hand VW or Toyota that is 2-3 years old or a new Chery or Geely for roughly same price. Even with rough handing, the maintenance costs on are far lower on the VW or Toyota, even if the Chery and Geely use the same parts, just don't have to replace as many as often.

Wondering if any Chinese cars have keyless entry? A top selling point in Canada where frozen locks are constant winter problem, particularly in cheaper vehicles with poor seals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Iam also tht person......bt problem is there is Geely CK and Chery QQ(only these) here only they r also imported and no security abt them in future.........

·
Registered
57 Posts
At some point and time Chinese vehicles will make their way to North America and Canada. They will face a few challenges, and in light of recent consumer experiences with a variety of made in China products, Chinese vehicles will face a high level of scrutiny.

·
Registered
4 Posts
im canadian and im very interested in inexpensive new cars. if its reasonably reliable then 10k new is a steal. if i hadnt bought a brand new suzuki sportbike this year i might be able to afford the hyundai tiburon or something. of course in winter riding a bike here is not really an option. sigh. anyway come on china, you supply the cars and we will supply the oil:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Once Canadians drive the cars, that is the deciding factor and these cars are as drivable or as enjoyable to drive, compared to cars just 20-30% more expensive. There is a huge difference and customers will appreciate that difference in Canada. Given that the starting point of acceptance is less than a quarter of the population to consider buying a Chinese car, it will go down quickly after they realise how truly bad they are.

There will be Chinese cars on the streets of Canada and America, not in large numbers for probably at least a decade, but then it will still be less than 10% of sales. The import of huge numbers of cars from China is not politically possible at this time. Also, European, Japanese, Korean and American auto makers are not standing still, they move forward as well, so don't expect Chinese car makers to catch up any time soon.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
people can say what they want to say, only time can tell and the chinese carmakers will speak for themselves in the future. And failure or success is really in their hands tbh if they know how to tackle flaws and do the improvements and satisfy customers or if they just continue with what they do then someone here might be proved wrong

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Neko

how do u know that the number of canadians with positive views will decline ? and how do u know that number of Chinese will only take 10% ? And who said European, Japanese, Korean are standing still and who said Chinese one will catch up anytime soon ?? Are you a fortune teller ?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I mean most of your posts are about badmouthing Chinese carmakers, not about useful criticism. If you are voicing useful comments to help them get better then I think it is very welcomed but what you are doing now does not look like that and I think your intention is very obvious.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chinese car makers have a long way to go. I have been to many Chinese manufacturers plants. Some I wish well as I can see them doing quite a good job. I do not like the imitation car makers, they can do better, but they do not have the skills yet. Making imitation cars does not help create skill base either. There are alternative methods of acquiring car models other than pirating cost around the same and provide a better investment.

I do not hate all Chinese car makers. But parroting propaganda that Chinese cars will take over the world or that every car they make is fantastic, is pure rubbish. Barely a handful of Chinese cars are decent enough to even consider selling in Europe or North America. If you knew any foreigners working in Chinese auto industry, they could tell you the same.

If a quarter of Canadians are willing to consider buying a Chinese car, it is inevitable the actual purchase rate will be much lower. If Toyota has 'willingness rate' of 80%, does not mean they sell that many, it is far lower, same for Chinese cars. When the cars are built for Canadian market, it will have to use more expensive material, better safety features and have better build quality than is currently in production in China and sold in China. The expectations of someone buying in Canada is much higher than in China. This will increase cost above the expected rate and will decrease the differential between a Chinese car and Korean or other car to a level that will likely make the choice not on price, which the Chinese are good at, but on other issues which they are not good at, such as style, build, initial quality, reliability....

If you want useful criticism, see above. You should be able to see more than a few examples there.

·
Registered
706 Posts
As I have surfed the net, I have noticed that the Canadian people are much more excited about smaller cars than the American people. Smaller cars with manual tranny's. American standards for cars are still stuck a lot on Ford pickup trucks, Dodge pickup trucks, GM pickups and SUV's, etc.

The Canadian people want smaller cars that get better gas mileage, much like the Europeans want(and buy)smaller, manual-transmissioned vehicles.

What this might mean as far as the Chinese carmakers is not completely determined at this point. What I do notice is that there are a lot of Chinese carmakers trying their hand at car, truck and SUV making right now. Their possible advantage is a market in North America that could use a break on high new vehicle prices. If the Chinese carmakers can produce vehicles to NA emission and other standards and sell them for 1/2 the cost of vehicles currently sold in NA, they will have a decent NA market.

They have a ways to go but I am not one to shrug their efforts so far off as rubbish. That would be stupid. I bought my first Asian car in May of 1999. It was a 1999 Kia Sephia sedan. I bought it for $7,995. No air conditioner, no radio and a 5-speed manual transmission model. That price was after a $2,000 Kia Motors rebate. Liked my Sephia so much I traded it in in Sept. of 2001 for a 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4.

I recently traded my 2001 Kia Sportage 4X4 with 130,000 miles in on a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. Automatic CVT tranny and Rally Red metallic paint. It is a beautiful car.

I am here to learn all I can about how the Chinese are coming along as they reach out to being major-league competitors as car makers. I can tell you that I am not against purchasing a Chinese-made vehicle, but, there is a lot of work convincing NA people of the reliability and durability of the Chinese-made cars. But the American people have shown by their record of embracing the Japanese-made vehicles that they will change their mind and buy Asian cars.

So will the Canadians and I think that the Canadians would embrace Chinese-made cars before and more than American people would.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts