China Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
"So will the Canadians and I think that the Canadians would embrace Chinese-made cars before and more than American people would."

This is also why Korean car firms headed for Canada before the US, to gain some experience in a smaller yet similar market, so if they make a mistake, it is less costly in terms of bad publicity or hurting brand value.

KIA has done really well improving reliability and initial quality. That is why some of the better Chinese car makers are trying to follow their example. Though there are training issues which need to be dealt with, and that will only come with time before some Chinese car firms are successful at emulating the Korean example.

·
Registered
706 Posts
neko-I think some readers and participaters of this forum doubt that you sincerely want the Chinese to succeed at carbuilding for the rest of the world, including NA.

I will not say that that is how you feel, I will let you record what your thoughts are completely regarding the Chinese building cars.

I think your thoughts on the Koreans trying Canada first for results may very well be true. I know that Hyundai built those first Excel's that failed in the entire NA market up there in Canada. Hyundai is still to this day being hurt by the poor reliability record of those first Hyundai Excel's.

I don't know, my Mom had a white '87 4-door automatic Excel that she loved and that did not give her troubles. She later got a red Excel and it's record was also sound with her.

neko-I will say that I am most interested in Chery building the Dodge Hornet so far out of all the Chinese vehicles being built today. That's another reason I come here-to see all of the different Chinese rigs and what they look like and anything about their manufacturing that might be interesting. If Dodge offers Chrysler's new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on the new Hornet to be first sold in 2009 in America, I will follow it's release and early owner reports closely to see how the Hornet is treating Americans.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
neko said:
Chinese car makers have a long way to go. I have been to many Chinese manufacturers plants. Some I wish well as I can see them doing quite a good job. I do not like the imitation car makers, they can do better, but they do not have the skills yet. Making imitation cars does not help create skill base either. There are alternative methods of acquiring car models other than pirating cost around the same and provide a better investment.

I do not hate all Chinese car makers. But parroting propaganda that Chinese cars will take over the world or that every car they make is fantastic, is pure rubbish. Barely a handful of Chinese cars are decent enough to even consider selling in Europe or North America. If you knew any foreigners working in Chinese auto industry, they could tell you the same.

If a quarter of Canadians are willing to consider buying a Chinese car, it is inevitable the actual purchase rate will be much lower. If Toyota has 'willingness rate' of 80%, does not mean they sell that many, it is far lower, same for Chinese cars. When the cars are built for Canadian market, it will have to use more expensive material, better safety features and have better build quality than is currently in production in China and sold in China. The expectations of someone buying in Canada is much higher than in China. This will increase cost above the expected rate and will decrease the differential between a Chinese car and Korean or other car to a level that will likely make the choice not on price, which the Chinese are good at, but on other issues which they are not good at, such as style, build, initial quality, reliability....

If you want useful criticism, see above. You should be able to see more than a few examples there.

Thank you , this is very useful indeed, please you are welcomed to make more like this . I hope the agents of Chinese carmakers visit this site and read this and get the ideas of what they should do work on. btw, yes we all know that Chinese carmakers have very long way to go. And I believe that no one here ever said Chinese cars will dominate any market.... so i don't know where u get that one from :S .And yup there are plenty of other ways to learn skills like hiring well known brands engineers to train the workforce....etc..... They are also investing a lot in R&D and I hope that the money will go into developing new tech, design, quality improvements...etc....

thanks a lot

·
Registered
41 Posts
neko said:
"So will the Canadians and I think that the Canadians would embrace Chinese-made cars before and more than American people would."

This is also why Korean car firms headed for Canada before the US, to gain some experience in a smaller yet similar market, so if they make a mistake, it is less costly in terms of bad publicity or hurting brand value.

KIA has done really well improving reliability and initial quality. That is why some of the better Chinese car makers are trying to follow their example. Though there are training issues which need to be dealt with, and that will only come with time before some Chinese car firms are successful at emulating the Korean example.
Canadians have no brand loyalty or preferences like the US as long as the product performs as stated at the right price it will sell. Canadians like reliable small fuel efficient cars like the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla, when the Honda Civic hatchback was discontinued in 2000, there was a big petition to get Honda to build it just for the Canadian market especially in the province Quebec which never materialized. The Chinese have an advantage over all the former auto makers is that they have their example to follow and also that they are already building for other big names like Toyota, GM, Honda and BMW and Mecerdes. I beleive China will be exporting world class cars within 5-7 years at the most, with luxuary lines that rival Lexus and BMW in 10 years.

·
Registered
561 Posts
neko said:
particularly in Canada when if it is below zero, your life can depend on reliability. This isn't an over-statement when it is minus-20 in Winnipeg and you will get frost-bite in 3-minutes on unexposed skin when the engine doesn't start and you can not call for help or walk anywhere.

I will stick with my Hilux for now, for the extra cash, it is worth the smoother ride, higher safety and better reliability.
hmmm i used to play soccer with t shirt and shorts when its minus 20 for like an hour.

minus 20 isnt so bad i tried up to minus 40 when i had to walk home with my face exposed for half an hour and i never got frost bits.

oh yea it would be really cool if you can be stranded in winnipeg somewhere with no-body, cause winnipeg is still a city, with a down town high rise and everything.

are you even from canada? do you even know where canada is? what type of igloo do you live in?

oh yea btw we (or just me) in canada dont have a toyota hilux, we got a toyota tundra if you like.

and the tundra only got 4 stars in crash test, and has some cam shaft problems or something. not a very good truck.

canadians usually like the ford f 150.

·
Registered
561 Posts
to all ccf members, this neko is probally just BSing about all this stuff, just ignor him. he know nothing about canada and probally knows barley anything about chinese cars anyways.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts