China Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
I sort of agree with Real_I_Hate_China about FAW and SAIC becoming the big players in Chinese Export industry and making it successful overseas in Europe and US.

I don't agree with the 2016 estimate for China to become a player in developed countries I think 2009-2010 sounds more reasonable.

I think either Chery or Geely will break into these developed markets leading the way for the rest, FAW & SAIC will sit back and learn from them.

BTW if you think China isn't ready for Western world look at the quality of the Polo Classic (Sedan) that was exported to Australia unsuccessfully.
It was up there with products from Mexico, South Africa etc

·
Registered
834 Posts
dragin said:
How is that quality Phaeton? Have you had a chance to see it first hand?

Heard that Shanghai Volkswagen has a 5 year contract to sell 600 Polos to Australia each year, but hadn't heard that the operation was unsuccessful.
Sales were not good, VW Australia wanted annual sales of 600 a year for 5 yrs.
They never broke the 100 unit mark during its sale here (for a year) unfortunately.

Press were excited at start of deal but some models had minor rattles that got into press vehicles, although this is not the major reason of it failing.
VW Aust. priced it very high for its class.

Another reason for its flop might be people were scared of Chinese product.

BTW Rattles are not just a Chinese cars fault most makers have minor faults like this I've read many reviews with this fault.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
2010 is only one more generation away from current generation of Chinese vehicles. Do you honestly believe that Chinese will make a quantum leap in quality and performance in just one generation? Of course not.
From what I've heard here about SAIC building platforms to comply with EU Laws it could happen.

Real_I_Hate_China said:
That Polo would be considered a German car assembled in China, not a Chinese car.
True, but with Chinese parts its considered part Chinese.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Please fellow members don't shout at each other or swear its not good etiquette IMO.

To agree with Real_I_Hate_China:

Yes Chinese will build good cars it will take time to be at world quality 2-4 yrs IMO, but at the moment there is alot of People against Chinese products due to job loss in other countries eg Europe for one with textiles.

So I don't think people will jump in Chinese cars for that reason also poor quality perception, I have a friend that could have bought the SVW Polo but didn't due to perception of quality.

The Chinese may/may not build good products it will take a while for Chinese to work Quality Conscience Europe, Freedom/Equality Nth. Americans, Indians, Former Tibetans and there supporters etc.

The Chinese Automakers & companies have long road to build up there reputations.

I for one hope China will over come all these problems, I hold no animosty towards China or its people.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Real_I_Hate_China said:
(SAIC), the company most likely to succeed among Chinese venders doesn't think they would be ready to take on the world for another 8 years. And they are using British and Korean engineered cars, not Chinese engineered cars, to make the initial push.
Even though SAIC are using Korean and British engineered platforms as starting point they will/would be heavilly modified to meet EU Rules and Regulations.
So in a way the Chinese have modified these platforms enough to wear a Made/Engineered in China badge.

Its not like SAIC will just build on top of these platforms and hope for the best if they wish to be successful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts