Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota pulls ads after complaints
Japan's Toyota Motor pulled two magazine ads in China after local readers complained they insulted the country, the company said Friday, in the latest gaffe by a Japanese firm on the mainland.

Japan's Toyota Motor pulled two magazine ads in China after local readers complained they insulted the country, the company said Friday, in the latest gaffe by a Japanese firm on the mainland.

Toyota, which apologized publicly for any offense it may have caused, ran two advertisements for its Land Cruiser and Prado SUV (sport utility vehicle) models.

One featured a Land Cruiser towing a truck that bore a striking resemblance to a Chinese military vehicle. A second showed a stone lion -- a traditional Chinese authority symbol -- saluting a Prado, which translates into "heavy-handed".

State newspapers said readers had protested the pictures implied Japanese vehicles were more hardy than Chinese military equipment, or that Japanese products were superior to Chinese.

Ahem....:lol:

"They generated an extreme response from some readers and we have apologized for any upset caused," Sun Tuoya, Toyota's China spokeswoman, said. "The adverts have already been pulled."

China believes Japan should do more to compensate for war-time atrocities.

A Sino-Japanese company, Futong Showa Optical Communications Co., was forced by regulators to suspend an initial public offering in September because the "Showa" in its name dredged up unpleasant memories of the reign of wartime emperor Hirohito.

Japanese auto companies such as Toyota, Nissan Motor and Honda Motor have poured billions of dollars into producing vehicles in China, the world's fastest growing major auto market. (Shenzhen Daily)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Japan, unlike Germany, has never owned up to its responsibility to compensate for its atrocities in WWII, even more insulting, Japan straight denies much of the evil deeds, and continue to snub its nose at other nations.

If Japan wants to continue to do business in the ever growing China, they better do the right thing. No one harbors any hatred toward Gemany anymore, right? A sincere, thorough, and complete apologies and actions goes a long way toward healing the WWII wounds.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
BringIt said:
No one harbors any hatred toward Gemany anymore, right?
that statement is very wrong, lot of people still hate the germans, i have seen this my self in Poland and Czech republic. French hate the Germans, also the English and US. And then there is the Russians. True Germany is a different country now and people do get along as in officially and govt, but there is still dislike for Germans, few, if not all germans visiting UK know what i am reffering to.

Overall, u are right, Japan did comit crimes in China, and they should apologize.

·
Registered
561 Posts
that article reminds me about films like memories of a geisha that were banned from China because zhang ziyi was in it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
god_bless_japan said:
that statement is very wrong, lot of people still hate the germans, i have seen this my self in Poland and Czech republic. French hate the Germans, also the English and US. And then there is the Russians. True Germany is a different country now and people do get along as in officially and govt, but there is still dislike for Germans, few, if not all germans visiting UK know what i am reffering to.

Overall, u are right, Japan did comit crimes in China, and they should apologize.
There are a lot of inter country issues in Europe (generalisations, not always true) but a lot of this is not WW2 related. The French and the English for example, have their issues, but we were on the same side. ............... in fact if it wasn't for us those cheese eating surrender monkeys would be speaking German now................ see what I mean!

·
Registered
121 Posts
another one what?

State newspapers said readers had protested the pictures implied Japanese vehicles were more hardy than Chinese military equipment, or that Japanese products were superior to Chinese.

Ahem....:lol:

Japanese auto companies such as Toyota, Nissan Motor and Honda Motor have poured billions of dollars into producing vehicles in China, the world's fastest growing major auto market. (Shenzhen Daily)[/QUOTE]

so, some readers, or maybe A LOT of readers, felt offended by the manner in w/ch toyota presented their products in these adverts, the volume of w/ch convinced toyota to pull the plug after spending a lot of money for the production & placement of these adverts. the protesters said that the adverts IMPLIED that toyota products are better than chinese products. they also said that the adverts "insulted the country" by the manner in w/ch a toyota product was presented as being in a superior position vis-a-vis chinese icons, the stone lion (temple guard dog, maybe) & a truck belonging to the People's Liberation Army. so, by the comment you placed below this section, i presume you agree w/ the sentiments of these readers. that's a change, since we all know by your name alone how much a fan you are of all things japanese.

btw, the article failed to mention that toyota did not go through w/ the third part of this series of adverts w/ch should have followed the first two w/ch were pulled out. it purports to show a strong likeness of chairman mao driving a prado & winking at the reader w/ a thought bubble saying "i wish i had one of these in hunan!"

·
Registered
507 Posts
fightingtorque said:
There are a lot of inter country issues in Europe (generalisations, not always true) but a lot of this is not WW2 related. The French and the English for example, have their issues, but we were on the same side
Exactly.

fightingtorque said:
in fact if it wasn't for us those cheese eating surrender monkeys would be speaking German now................ see what I mean!
:lol: priceless...

·
Registered
507 Posts
chinoy54 said:
btw, the article failed to mention that toyota did not go through w/ the third part of this series of adverts w/ch should have followed the first two w/ch were pulled out. it purports to show a strong likeness of chairman mao driving a prado & winking at the reader w/ a thought bubble saying "i wish i had one of these in hunan!"
A Chinese car maker should produce an ad with little japs with Hitler mustaches doing the "we're not worthy!" bow to the Chinese car... :nono: better yet, have those little japs resemble past jap rulers :D

Okay, that's petty, don't do it... :p

·
Registered
507 Posts
Why is everyone so f'n uptight on this forum :confused: get that 10 foot pole outta ur azz already :nono:

Anyone who thinks a free public forum should operate like a Hitler concentration camp should go hang themselves... :mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Such radical thinking :nono:

Is this the kind of people the Chinese auto industry and communities are made of ? :eek:

I am joining you, MJP. I am outta here ...:mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.