China Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I've searched. :)

I saw a rumor or two that the A15 was built with the intent to import it into the US.

I'm a huge VW fan, and want a modern day Mk2.

The A15, along with the FAW-VW Jetta, fill that role. They're on the Mk2 platform still, they're very versatile (the whole liftback thing), and the A15 even has a relatively modern engine (well, the Tritec, anyway).

Not to mention the price.

Chery has an Aveo-killer, I suspect - MPGs would be close, and versatility, price, features... all of that would be much better.

Will it happen?

(FWIW, if it does happen, and someone at Chery is reading this - I really wouldn't mind a diesel, at all. :D)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Ther problem is that Chinese doesn't seem to understand the concept that license is not a transferable property; it is simply a permission to use granted to a specific party. That permission is not sellable to a 3rd party, especially something like an IP license.

If Chery wanted a legal version of QiYun, then they should have contacted VW for a license, which they couldn't get anyway because of VW's existing businesses in China.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure about that?

Fightingtorque used a LOT of Mk2 Golf upgrade parts on his Windcloud (direct rebadge of the Mk1 SEAT Toledo, but with the Ford engine)...

I mean, I know the Mk2 and Mk3 are closely related (even sharing wheelbases), but everything is pointing to be closer to a Mk2 than a Mk3. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
chery bought it in mexico, not iran

It was in Mexico where Chery bought the Toledo production line & car.

"Actually, the Toledo was never built in Mexico. It was a group of Mexican busisnessmen who purchased the dies and jigs from Seat, then sold them on in 1998 to Chery. Like many of the provincial Chinese car makers, Chery initially focused on selling production locally (in this case Wuhu City in Anhui Province). The first sales of the A160's predecessor were to Wuhu's local taxi fleet in 1999. SAIC stepped in in 2000, but sold their equity in Chery when the whole kerfaffle over the Matiz and Chery QQ heated up."

Sorry, I confused the Seat Ibiza from Nanjing (first bought by Iranian people, then sold to Malaysia and by the Malaysian company installed in Nanjing), with the Toledo from Chery.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks Erik for your words of knowledge :)

Looks like I was wrong about the SEAT having a plant in Mexico.

I read SEATs history this afternoon and found that as you said the 1st gen Ibiza was made & sold in China.

As you can see on 1st page I too found that Mexican Businessmen sold Toledo jigs etc.
REAL_I_HATE_CHINA obviously did not research properly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing to compare, now that I have 10 posts, and I can post URLs...

Flagcloud (might be Windcloud) engine bay. Specifically, look at the rain tray (what the rain tray mounts to is a structural component):

(Edit: How about I NOT break the page. Image resized.)

Mk2 engine bay:

(Yes, it's wrecked. However, the rain tray shape is intact. Oh, and yes, that's my Jetta. I had that one handy. :))

Mk3 engine bay:

The rain tray gives it away as a Mk2.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hater, VW didn't sue Chery for the use of the platforms. VW sued Chery for the use of VW parts (in stead of Chinese parts) in their products.
Use of platform includes parts too. Obviously, VW didn't agree to Chery replicating its old models.

·
Registered
43 Posts
look u who hate china

what do u think of the new A11 LONG ??

me i think that chery had modified all the dies and the assembly line in the factory !!

without the help of SEAT !!!

i think that .

and i think that Erik can tell us more about that and about the new engine(not the FORD one) in the A11 2006 and A11 LONG 2006 .

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
three things

1. Hater, I am still waiting for answer on my question: "can you please connect me with the VW man who told you that?"
2. Hater, I will explain it again, as your statement: "Use of platform includes parts too. Obviously, VW didn't agree to Chery replicating its old models." makes clear that you didn't (want to?) understand it.
VW never objected against Chery making the Toledeo. VW didn't want Chery to use genuine VW parts while producing the Toledo. So, Chery was/is free to use other Chinese or Chery parts in the Toledo. Again: Chery is free to produce the Toledo which is designed on the VW Golf 2 platform, as long as it uses non-VW parts.
3. The 1600 engine in the Qiyun SQR 7162A15 is the Azteco variant of the original Chery engine: the CAC 480F, Euro3 and easy to adapt to Euro4.
There is now a new version with a 1300 engine: the Qiyun SQR7130A15, with another Azteco engine, the CAC 475.
The basic version of the 1300 is priced in China for only 55.800 yuan (5525 euro!).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts