China Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've searched. :)

I saw a rumor or two that the A15 was built with the intent to import it into the US.

I'm a huge VW fan, and want a modern day Mk2.

The A15, along with the FAW-VW Jetta, fill that role. They're on the Mk2 platform still, they're very versatile (the whole liftback thing), and the A15 even has a relatively modern engine (well, the Tritec, anyway).

Not to mention the price.

Chery has an Aveo-killer, I suspect - MPGs would be close, and versatility, price, features... all of that would be much better.

Will it happen?

(FWIW, if it does happen, and someone at Chery is reading this - I really wouldn't mind a diesel, at all. :D)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure about that?

Fightingtorque used a LOT of Mk2 Golf upgrade parts on his Windcloud (direct rebadge of the Mk1 SEAT Toledo, but with the Ford engine)...

I mean, I know the Mk2 and Mk3 are closely related (even sharing wheelbases), but everything is pointing to be closer to a Mk2 than a Mk3. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another thing to compare, now that I have 10 posts, and I can post URLs...

Flagcloud (might be Windcloud) engine bay. Specifically, look at the rain tray (what the rain tray mounts to is a structural component):

(Edit: How about I NOT break the page. Image resized.)

Mk2 engine bay:

(Yes, it's wrecked. However, the rain tray shape is intact. Oh, and yes, that's my Jetta. I had that one handy. :))

Mk3 engine bay:

The rain tray gives it away as a Mk2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
fightingtorque: You might also try to get your hands on a Mk2 Bentley manual - it's a much better manual than the Haynes. :)

Anyway, I see the car as being a great car for Chery to compete with the Hyundai Elantra, while also undercutting the Chevy Aveo, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris, and Honda Fit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yep, Robert Bentley Publishing. :)

The Bentley is better than the Haynes in that their manual is the official VW manual, and was created from VW's instructions, rather than a stripdown and rebuild.

Now, the Bentley isn't great about telling you about the tricks, but it's much better than the Haynes, and that's where VWvortex (and the various DIYs on there) comes in handy. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.