China Car Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
1. It's mark 2 I am sure. Haven't spent much time around a mk 3 but all the mk2 bits are same - I have a haynes manual for a mk2 and use it for reference.

2. The problem with the use of vw parts. VW tried to stop its suppliers supporting this new competitor. The argument they were using related to the fact that nearly all vehicle parts have the OEM's logo on there somewhere. So at the time if you looked around inside the chery you could find VW logos on the seat belts and various other places. Not allowed.

3. It wasn't settled in court. because saic at that time had a percentage in chery, and were a partner of vw, they came to a friendly agreement and a big sum of money changed hands. But as erik said, saic later withdrew from chery when the daewoo/gm issue came up.

4. Don't know what would happen if they tried to export this car . As I understand it they don't intend to.

5. Classic mk2 Jetta in western market could be a hit with the enthusiasts. But most countries probably have too much legislation work to get through to justify it. I think UK is easier because we have a special vehicle approval process, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
fightingtorque: You might also try to get your hands on a Mk2 Bentley manual - it's a much better manual than the Haynes. :)

Anyway, I see the car as being a great car for Chery to compete with the Hyundai Elantra, while also undercutting the Chevy Aveo, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris, and Honda Fit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
manuals

bhtooefr said:
fightingtorque: You might also try to get your hands on a Mk2 Bentley manual
Presumably Bentley is a publishing company - you aren't suggesting that the Mk2 Jetta platform shares the same components as a Bentley are you?

I'll have to look out for one. Haynes manuals used to be based on an entire strip and rebuild of a vehicle. However, as times have changed and less and less private individuals contemplate taking on such major work, they have become a bit more 'servicing' focused. Fine for telling you how to change the oil but not so good for those of us who are still up for major surgery.

I think they are also written in the way that a skilled mechanic takes the thing apart and a writer looks over his shoulder and writes down what he does. In this way the book tends to miss out a lot of tricks - just says take the bolts out and you can remove the x, y,or z without telling you where to hit it, how hard to hit it, what to hit it with and how long you can expect to hit it for before it comes apart, which is one of the main skills of taking cars apart.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yep, Robert Bentley Publishing. :)

The Bentley is better than the Haynes in that their manual is the official VW manual, and was created from VW's instructions, rather than a stripdown and rebuild.

Now, the Bentley isn't great about telling you about the tricks, but it's much better than the Haynes, and that's where VWvortex (and the various DIYs on there) comes in handy. :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.