China Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
So this is total off topic but since this is a nice settled community, I thought I would ask.
My son Liam is struggling with math and science in class, he is Chinese-Canadian (I am Canadian, my husband is Chinese) so he speaks both English and Mandarin (and a little French), he is in grade 7 and ever since the pandemic started, with all the changes and weird schedules we have just had to make things work as best as possible but this school year we are noticing this is not working anymore.

So I have been looking for math tutors near me and I haven't been successful in finding a school which would help him in both his first languages. Therefore, now I am looking for an online math tutor.

A friend of mine told me she found the StudyPug program for tutoring, which appears to be a Canadian company and which offers services in Mandarin too, but I just want to see all my options.
Do any of you know of a tutoring company where I could find a bilingual math tutor in Chinese and English?
Also, anyone here has used the StudyPug website? I would love to hear opinions about it.

Thank you all in advance for your help, any link or phone for educational materials or tutoring schools are greatly appreciated.
- Emma

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I am sorry to hear that your son is struggling!

From my experience, online resources aren't the best way to help. Online sites often have different ways of teaching subjects, so when the quizzes come, students complete them in different ways (Math related).

As for science, my nephew is also having a little struggle. We use something called Amplify Science, that, even I admit, is confusing.

What I suggest is to, 1. Ask the teacher! My nephew's school is very inviting when a student doesn't get something. So I suggest setting up a time to talk with his teachers during AP or other time. Also, 2. Get in a study group with friends. My nephew finds it very helpful to get together with his peers and talk through it together, because chances are, other have the same questions and problems.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry to hear that your son is struggling!

From my experience, online resources aren't the best way to help. Online sites often have different ways of teaching subjects, so when the quizzes come, students complete them in different ways (Math related).

As for science, my nephew is also having a little struggle. We use something called Amplify Science, that, even I admit, is confusing.

What I suggest is to, 1. Ask the teacher! My nephew's school is very inviting when a student doesn't get something. So I suggest setting up a time to talk with his teachers during AP or other time. Also, 2. Get in a study group with friends. My nephew finds it very helpful to get together with his peers and talk through it together, because chances are, other have the same questions and problems.

I hope this helps.
Thank you for the reply!!! I talked with the teacher and he suggested the same thing you just said! what a great idea!
So we and other parents are setting up a group study for our kids and there is even an older kiddo who has stepped up and will make it as the tutor :D

Thanks again and I hope your nephew is doing well on his studies too, or that he has found the help that he needs.

·
Super Moderator
7,828 Posts
Hello everyone,
So this is total off topic but since this is a nice settled community, I thought I would ask.
My son Liam is struggling with math and science in class, he is Chinese-Canadian (I am Canadian, my husband is Chinese) so he speaks both English and Mandarin (and a little French), he is in grade 7 and ever since the pandemic started, with all the changes and weird schedules we have just had to make things work as best as possible but this school year we are noticing this is not working anymore.

So I have been looking for math tutors near me and I haven't been successful in finding a school which would help him in both his first languages. Therefore, now I am looking for an online math tutor.

A friend of mine told me she found the StudyPug program for tutoring, which appears to be a Canadian company and which offers services in Mandarin too, but I just want to see all my options.
Do any of you know of a tutoring company where I could find a bilingual math tutor in Chinese and English?
Also, anyone here has used the StudyPug website? I would love to hear opinions about it.

Thank you all in advance for your help, any link or phone for educational materials or tutoring schools are greatly appreciated.
- Emma
Funny:
total off topic but looking for mom/dad saviours here...
Need some advice from other parents
https://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/...ty-looking-for-advice-total-off-topic/4562104

So this so-called multicultural mother (or birthing person) of a multilingual "dimwit" who happens to study in grade 7 and grade 10 simultaneously, goes around posting the same question in forums related to cars, rottweilers, cookery/culinary arts, and gaming, i.e. every kind of forum except those related to parenting, education, or math.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts