China Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did they manage to get the Hiace tooling through licensing or did they reversed engineered them. And why are so many brands with the same vans are they related through shared tooling?

Same with engines are they of Toyota origin?

This question was sparked by the Zotye 2008, where they just got the tooling form Daihatsu but they did not licensed it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have yet to find a Chinese Hiace lookalike that matches the Japanese one completely. Jinbei had an official deal with Toyota and it acquired the license sometime in the 1980s but only for the body panels, IIRC. While the exteriors match the original Hiace, the rest of the parts were Chinese. A 1990s Jinbei was described by a friend by having a thinner bodyshell than the real Hiace and that it drove/felt much more rudimentary. There might have been some early exact CKD copies though, and surely other brands produced that kind of bodywork under official license, but I don't think they ever replicate the entire thing. Since China uses joint ventures, a part of the vehicle has to be localized in favor of the state profit. Since the 1990s more Hiace clones started to appear, but they all differ in a way or another from the Japanese-built ones if you check all the technicalities behind the actual shell. But without getting ahead of ourselves, I have no list of official Toyota Hiace-licensed producers myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts