China Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In todays Sunday Mail (our local rag) they had a write up on the Chery QQ and a Geely based on the Daihatsu Charade which could cost between AUD $4900-5000.

The spokesman for an Australian Auto Analyst or something to that degree said that Chinese cars would not 4fil the Australian tastes and that the Chinese cars aren't Australian Design Rule (ADR) complient.
He also said that it will be in the next 5-10 years before Aussies see a Chinese car.

On the good side they said when Chinese Autos do come they will make an impact like the Koreans did with there driveaway deals, which the Aussie Auto industry is preparing for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
phaeton said:
In todays Sunday Mail (our local rag) they had a write up on the Chery QQ and a Geely based on the Daihatsu Charade which could cost between AUD $4900-5000.

The spokesman for an Australian Auto Analyst or something to that degree said that Chinese cars would not 4fil the Australian tastes and that the Chinese cars aren't Australian Design Rule (ADR) complient.
He also said that it will be in the next 5-10 years before Aussies see a Chinese car.

On the good side they said when Chinese Autos do come they will make an impact like the Koreans did with there driveaway deals, which the Aussie Auto industry is preparing for.
Well, the Excel sold well, the way to go for the Chinese is to aim at the bottom end of the market. I mean, the Holden Barina (for those who don't know, it's a rebadged Chevy Aveo, cheapest new car here) is $12,990, I reckon the Chinese cars would need to start well below $10,000 to get people interested.

I think it'll be a while before we see Chinese cars, though, since Australia is a RHD market.

Do they even have any Chinese cars that are made in China and RHD yet?

·
Registered
481 Posts
yes , I think some chery cars exported to India and stuff are RHD ,
anyways RHD suck ... whats the point of being diffrent than the whole world :p

you aussies are strange

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Deanodriver said:
Well, the Excel sold well, the way to go for the Chinese is to aim at the bottom end of the market. I mean, the Holden Barina (for those who don't know, it's a rebadged Chevy Aveo, cheapest new car here) is $12,990, I reckon the Chinese cars would need to start well below $10,000 to get people interested.

I think it'll be a while before we see Chinese cars, though, since Australia is a RHD market.

Do they even have any Chinese cars that are made in China and RHD yet?

welcome to chinacarforums deanodriver

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
1st Welcome Deanodriver:thumb: :cool: and to answer you question on RHD Chinese cars, VW's Polo Sedan in Australia is a Chinese built car;)

mrgq said:
some big markets are RHD

Australia, New Zealand, India, UK and im sure some more
Don't forget the biggest of them all Japan is a RHD market.

-an interesting fact RHD was 1st :p before LHD vehicles.
&
-Audi made the 1st LHD vehicles.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I never understood why there had to be LHD and RHD vehicles. Did they simply want to make the world more difficult? Also, if a RHD country bordered a LHD country, and you were to drive across the border. Are you allowed to keep driving your vehicle that has the wheel on the opposite side?

·
Registered
297 Posts
the big question we should be asking ourselves IS (since we know LHD is more logical and safer and easier)

WILL NATIONS LIKE JAPAN/UK/INDIA/AUSTRALIA EVER SWITCH TO LHD???

its impossible for it to happen since u cant just take old cars out and put all new cars in these countries, and you cant have LHD and RHD on the road at the same time..but that may be the only option

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
m14 said:
the big question we should be asking ourselves IS (since we know LHD is more logical and safer and easier)

WILL NATIONS LIKE JAPAN/UK/INDIA/AUSTRALIA EVER SWITCH TO LHD???

its impossible for it to happen since u cant just take old cars out and put all new cars in these countries, and you cant have LHD and RHD on the road at the same time..but that may be the only option
How is LHD safer/logical than RHD ?:confused:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think Hong Kong have switched from driving on the left to driving on the right since the handover.

South Africa (maybe most of Africa?) drive on the left. So do Thailand.

I have much experience of both. I don't see any reason why one can be considered more logical or safer than the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, thanks for the welcomes :)

I guess the reason why we drive on the left is because we copied the UK. It's probably too late to switch the whole country to LHD, once you consider what needs to be replaced. Not only do cars and road signs need to be made in LHD, but you'd have to adapt intersections, and even fast food drive through windows would have to be significantly changed.

I've never driven a left hand drive car (all cars sold here are RHD, and all cars imported under 30 years old need to be converted to RHD, the only LHD cars you see really are old American cars), but it's something I'd like to try. I'm used to RHD, though, changing gears with my left hand feels natural, even though I'm right handed, keep my stronger hand on the wheel.

I wonder how much of our foreign branded cars are made in China anyway (as in, what parts of the cars are Chinese-made)?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deanodriver said:
Wow, thanks for the welcomes :)

I wonder how much of our foreign branded cars are made in China anyway (as in, what parts of the cars are Chinese-made)?
Your Welcome :)

I know the new Commodore has Chinese parts not sure on percentage, the only Chinese manufactured vehicle I know of in Australia is the Polo Sedan 2003-2005.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The whole LHD/RHD must be an absolute pain in the butt for automotive producers. The only way to get around this is Maclaren F1 or vintage Tatras style. Put the steering wheel in the middle!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
archedestral said:
The whole LHD/RHD must be an absolute pain in the butt for automotive producers. The only way to get around this is Maclaren F1 or vintage Tatras style. Put the steering wheel in the middle!!
Perhaps, but I'm sure most cars are designed with the ability to be made either way in mind.

Besides, most countries have their own little nuances regarding legislation that cars have to pass to be sold there, I'd say most seemingly similar cars differ from country to country.

phaeton said:
Your Welcome :)

I know the new Commodore has Chinese parts not sure on percentage, the only Chinese manufactured vehicle I know of in Australia is the Polo Sedan 2003-2005.
Well, I do think that Chinese made parts will become widespread in cars here before Chinese cars become popular.

Actually, I'd say that currently, Australia exports more cars to China than we import from China, I wonder if there's any proof of that? (the Chinese-market Buick Royaum is an Australian-built Holden Statesman)

·
Registered
28 Posts
fightingtorque said:
I think Hong Kong have switched from driving on the left to driving on the right since the handover.

South Africa (maybe most of Africa?) drive on the left. So do Thailand.

I have much experience of both. I don't see any reason why one can be considered more logical or safer than the other.
Nope, Hong Kong remains RHD after the handover.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts