China Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
BAIC has received an impressive quality rating from JD Power for its Senova model recently, but it seems the old BAW division is stuck in a time warp.
Case in point, some crude metal work, fit/finish, etc..
In particular see #53 for examples.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thank you for the clarification, DMitra.
Seems like the big shake out in BAIC occurred around time of Wang Dazhong's short tenure.
As for the original Beijing Auto Works factory, it was located in the Chaoyang district of Beijing. Now it appears that only the BAW headquarters office remains there while its, and all Beiqi enterprises, production have been moved to sites outside of the city.

A look at Bloomberg's online information indicates that it is somewhat out of date.
https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=6479020

·
Registered
526 Posts
The gray vehicle at top looks like an altogether different body, with a much shorter front overhang, and possibly a shorter wheelbase.
And, in these two photos of the suspension, it looks like the top one is the old front suspension with longitudinal leaf springs, and the bottom one is the new rear suspension with multi-link and coil springs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thank you D Mitra. Now after a second look it was probably the shorter front overhang that threw me off. But the because of the shorter overhang the body overall length looks shorter as well, but the specs show that too is an illusion. Of course the change from front leaf to coil springs is a key factor. Unlike unibody models, the ladder frame design makes it quite easy to change the body without altering specs.

·
Registered
526 Posts
To my surprise, BAW has yet to face much serious competition from its old foreign partner, now relocated to down south.
However the interior of this model looks rather primitive....lots of bone-breaking corners and edges nearby, for those being jostled by off road, and other, encounters.
But to its credit, BAW has now gotten those pedals to line up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Remember the BJ212 model that David Shelburg planned to have imported to the U.S. in 1995? He called it "the Gangstar", for reasons I'll never know.

As we know, there have been many attempts to export from China to the U.S. but this may have been the first.

Those 1995 steel wheels don't look any different than the 2019 wheels of the above post....

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Erik, I just briefly read about Gangstar in the New York Times, in the mid-nineties, a few years before I seriously started following the rise of auto development in China,
But looking into my archives, I found an article from www.allbusiness.com that talks about a fellow by the name of Henry Wong, an importer, and CEO of "Beijing Auto of America". He apparently is the person who gave the name to the BJ212 that was aimed at the US market. Unfortunately the (old) link I have for that article is no longer valid. The article says that Shelburg was the marketing manager of Wong's company. However, as we know, Shelburg also had his own China Motor Corp, under which he later planned to import a number of other China auto manufacturer's products..., such as Brilliance, Great Wall, and Hafei (see CCF posts such as: https://www.chinacarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173&highlight=Shelburg). None of course made it through the web of certifications and homologations they faced.
As for the Gangstar, Lindsay Chappell of trade publication "Automotive News" wrote articles about it, as did Dealer Magazine, USA Today, and others.
As for other photos of the Gangstar, I come up empty. Here's one of David Shelburg with a Great Wall (Admiral maybe) pickup.
Thanks for the heads up about China Trade Associates' Beijing Tiger, BAM North America, or FMW of America's Copia. I had not heard about them before.

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
In recent years I have noticed a distinct difference in quality of the Daimler affiliated "Beijing" brand, and the "Beiqi" or BAW brand models. I think that BAIC is moving to distance itself from BAW, and will eventually spin off the brand completely.
It's an interesting development since BAW was at the heart of this automakers beginnings from 1953, and the birthplace of the first Western-China auto joint ventures, in 1983, that is, Beijing Jeep.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts