Press Kit: 2006 Beijing International Auto Show
Locally Produced Chrysler 300C Stands Out in Chinese Premium Sedan Market
* Locally produced Chrysler 300C Sedan debuts at Auto China 2006
* A dramatic, exclusive and innovative exterior design direction for Chrysler
* All-new platform features contemporary HEMI® power and rear-wheel drive
* Multi-Displacement System (MDS) increases HEMI V-8 fuel efficiency
* Chassis delivers agile handling, responsive steering and a smooth ride
Beijing, Nov 18, 2006 -
Shortly after its launch in China, the locally produced Chrysler 300C Sedan debuts at Auto China 2006 to give another hit to Chinese public. With a shape based on the company’s all-new rear-wheel-drive architecture, the Chrysler 300C features classic proportions of the legendary Chrysler brand flagship. A long hood, short deck and dramatic profile complete with 18-inch wheels give Chrysler 300C its stunning presence.
Simply stated, the Chrysler 300C Sedan has signaled a design direction that will make everything else on the road now in China seem ordinary. The dramatic expressive exterior, together with the rear-wheel-drive configuration, continues the Chrysler brand’s long-standing tradition of innovative design in this locally produced vehicle.
Chrysler 300C Sedan’s interior continues the noble, proud themes of the exterior with distinctive features, materials and textures that provide a handcrafted and upscale feel. The Chrysler 300C interior comes with a generous level of standard equipment and amenities, including a remote-controlled DVD audio video system in the rear seats.
Housed in the center of the vehicle’s dashboard, this system features a large 14.7cm full-color display, AM/FM stereo, six-disc CD system that can play MP3 audio files and navigation system, all in one unit.
High Performance from a Range of Engines
A car designed from the ground up with performance and premium quality in mind demanded powertrain systems that exceeded customers’ expectations. Three engines and two transmissions were developed to provide the optimum in powertrain choices for Chrysler 300C Sedan buyers. The 2.7-liter V-6 provides an outstanding combination of performance, fuel economy, quietness and durability.
The 3.5-liter V-6 engine delivers higher output, still with a perfect blend of performance and economy, and for the ultimate in performance, Chrysler 300C Sedan customers can choose the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8.
The Chrysler 300C Sedan marks the return of the HEMI engine to the Chrysler brand after nearly 50 years. The legendary engine design that powered Chrysler’s “letter series” cars in the 1950s has been re-engineered and reborn as a modern, high-performance, fuel-efficient and durable powerplant known as the all-new 5.7-liter HEMI V-8. With 250 kW (340 hp DIN) and 525 N•m (390 lb.-ft.) of torque, the Chrysler 300C can go from 0 to 100 Km/h in 6.4 seconds (0 to 60 mph in just 6.3 seconds) and reach an electronically limited top speed of 250 Km/h (155 mph).
Chrysler 300C Sedan offers a Multi-Displacement System (MDS) as standard on a V-8 engine. The Chrysler Group’s MDS seamlessly turns off the fuel consumption in four cylinders of the 5.7-liter HEMI engine when V-8 power is not needed. This provides a world-class combination of outstanding performance, power and very competitive fuel economy. MDS increases fuel economy up to 20 percent, depending on driving style and vehicle usage.
Transmissions were matched to the engines to provide the best combination of performance, smoothness and fuel economy. Two transmissions are available in the Chrysler 300C Sedan. A proven DaimlerChrysler five-speed automatic transmission is standard on Chrysler 300C vehicles equipped with the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 and the 3.5-liter engines. The five-speed automatic transmission is controlled by Chrysler Group’s Auto Stick driver-selectable range control. This shifter accommodates fully automatic shifting or the driver can select each gear manually. The 2.7-liter engine is matched to a revised version of a proven Chrysler Group four-speed automatic transmission.
New Rear-wheel-drive Chassis for Great Handling
Transferring all this power to the road is Chrysler’s new rear-wheel-drive chassis architecture. Rear-wheel drive offers the best vehicle balance and handling with front wheels steering and rear wheels driving.
Overall, the Chrysler 300C Sedan is engineered to offer a smooth, quiet and luxurious ride while maintaining a feeling of control and confidence. For the Chinese market, the Chrysler 300C has a unique steering, suspension calibration and wheel and tire set-up that is adapted toward higher-speed ride and handling.
The HEMI-powered Chrysler 300C Sedan offers even more athletic and nimble suspension and steering characteristics, with the front and rear suspension tuned for greater handling performance. A well-damped ride with reduced body roll gives the customer a precise and responsive driving experience.
The short- and long-arm front suspension together with a five-link independent rear suspension provides excellent handling and ride characteristics. Power rack and pinion steering makes parking easier without compromising steering performance at speed, balancing comfort and ease of operation with feel and responsiveness.
An anti-lock braking system (ABS), all-speed Traction Control and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) are all standard on the locally produced Chrysler 300C Sedan. This integrated system benefits from state-of-the-art electronics that provide much faster response than in the past.
* Three engine choices including:
o 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 with Multi-Displacement System, and a five-speed Auto Stick automatic transmission
o 3.5-liter V-6 with a five-speed Auto Stick automatic transmission
o 2.7-liter V-6 with a four-speed automatic transmission
* 6.4 second 0-100 Km/h (6.3 second 0-60 mph) time with 5.7-liter HEMI V-8
* Rear-wheel-drive configuration
* Short- and long-arm (SLA) front suspension and independent five-bar multilink rear suspension
* Rack and pinion steering
* 18-inch chrome-faced aluminum wheels (to be checked by BBDC)
* Patented faux tortoise shell interior accents or optional genuine California Walnut wood accents
* Heated leather driver and front passenger seats
* Eight-way power adjustable driver’s seat (TBC by BBDC)
* Driver and front passenger adjustable lumbar support
* Leather-wrapped steering wheel with flush-mounted audio, phone, navigation and trip computer controls (TBC by BBDC)
* Power tilt-telescoping steering wheel with memory (TBC by BBDC)
* Power adjustable pedals
* Dual driver memory system controls for adjustable steering column, driver’s seat, mirrors, radio presets and power adjustable pedals
* Dual-zone automatic temperature control with infrared sensing
* Air filtration system
* Express-up/down power front and rear windows (with anti-pinch protection in front)
* Boston Acoustics premium sound system
* Analog clock
* 60/40 split folding rear seat
* Electrochromic interior and driver’s rearview mirror
* Sun roof with one-touch open and close with anti-pinch protection
* AF/FM radio plus six-disc CD/MP3 player and remote-controlled DVD audio video system in the rear seats
Standard Safety Features
* Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
* All-speed Traction Control System
* Four-wheel disc anti-lock brake system (ABS) with Emergency Brake Assist
* Front and rear side-curtain air bags
* Xenon High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps
* Three-blink lane change turn signal feature
* High-pressure headlamp washers
* Rain-sensing windshield wipers
* Ultrasonic rear park assist system
* Sentry Key® Engine Immobilizer
* Security alarm with panic button on key fob
In China, the Chrysler 300C Sedan is currently built at Beijing-Benz DaimlerChrysler Automotive Co., Ltd., DaimlerChrysler’s joint venture in Beijing, China, and the local Chrysler 300C 2.7L, 3.5L and 5.7L have been available since November 8, 2006.
The Chrysler brand comes to Auto China 2006 at a time of growing sales success for its vehicles in markets outside North America based on new product offerings. Last year, the brand recorded sales of 85,347 units in markets outside North America – a three percent increase compared with 2004. Chrysler premium vehicles, which include the Chrysler 300C Sedan, increased year-over-year sales by 40 percent.
Sales of Chrysler brand vehicles outside North America through October were up nine percent compared with the same period last year, at 75,355 units.
“The Chrysler brand’s succession of innovative product introductions continues to solidify the brand’s standing as a leader in design, purposeful technology and value,” said Joe Eberhardt, Executive Vice President – Global Sales, Marketing and Service, Chrysler Group. “With the launch in China of our new flagship Chrysler 300C Sedan, which is already enjoying huge sales success around the world, alongside the world’s most popular minivan and the innovative PT Cruiser, the momentum is sure to continue.”