China Car Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
disproportionate to what? to the population as compared w/ whom? to gdp as compared w/whom? i am aware that facts are facts, unfortunately, you have not stated any facts, merely conjecture. i've stated that china spends less on defense per capita than the u.s.a., that's a fact.
There you are my dear friend - you have just answered your own question :D

you are reading into my post much more than what i intended to say. do you know what the saying "the pot calling the kettle black" means? if you don't, let me know & i'll be happy to explain what it means.
I will be glad to hear your own version of that.

i cannot predict what china will or will not do in the future,...
There you go again. You really have to make up your mind what you are trying to represent. I have a strange feeling this whole debate is going around in circles. Quoting your previous post, let me ask how does the above contridicts the following? :
i think that you should give the chinese leadership more credit for responsible world leadership. the 60's era red scare is gone forever. the communist hegemony does not exist, never did. what are the tell-tale signs that china is exporting the communist way of life to other countries, or threatening our borders?
better yet to have used the ussr as an example of the "secular" bogeyman threatening world peace & stability. yet, the ussr collapsed, the east bloc is shattered, & countries in the former east bloc are falling over themselves to join the eu.
You are totally spot on. This is what I have been trying to explain all along! Yes, a secular state threatens world peace. Yes, a secular state does not have a future in the world. Yes, the events of history has provided the basis for me to rest my case.

i only wish that you can be so dispassionate
I am curious. Why would you wish that?

·
Registered
507 Posts
China's military spending is too high? Compare to whom? If you go by population, GDP, land size, or whatever other measure, China is one of the lower ones. As a matter of fact, Japan spends more than China (though China may have surpassed Japan recently.) Don't forget China has 3 million soldiers and their families to house and feed, and that's where most of the money went.

Talk about spending too much on arms, USA spends as much as the rest of the world COMBINED. Why would 5% of the world population need 50% of the military?

·
Registered
176 Posts
BringIt said:
China's military spending is too high? Compare to whom? If you go by population, GDP, land size, or whatever other measure, China is one of the lower ones. As a matter of fact, Japan spends more than China (though China may have surpassed Japan recently.) Don't forget China has 3 million soldiers and their families to house and feed, and that's where most of the money went.

Talk about spending too much on arms, USA spends as much as the rest of the world COMBINED. Why would 5% of the world population need 50% of the military?
Um, because we protect the rest of the world while they spit at us?

·
Registered
70 Posts
disproportionate to what?
Disproportionate to the pace (time) of development and China's international military commitments or peacekeeping activities, etc. (if there is any, at all). Please don't take my words out of context and don't flame me because I didn't pluck them out of thin air. Whatever I have wrote here are of my understanding as a result of reading from news available on the internet or newspapers. So nothing is a "merely conjecture" as Chinoy had remarked.

See news article below :

--------------------------------
RUMSFELD QUESTIONS CHINA SPENDING
Published: 2005/10/18 10:10:27 GMT
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/asia-pacific/4351422.stm

US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has again accused China of understating its defence spending, hours before he arrived in Beijing for talks.

Mr Rumsfeld said China's understating of its defence build-up - which Beijing denies - was fuelling suspicions about its motives.

China's official military spending this year is $30bn, but the Pentagon said in June that the real figure was $90bn.

Mr Rumsfeld is in China to hold talks with President Hu Jintao, on Wednesday.

Mr Rumsfeld's trip comes ahead of a planned visit to China next month by US President George W Bush.

"China is an important country in the region; it's a country that's increasingly important in the world," Mr Rumsfeld told reporters on Tuesday.

I think it's interesting that other countries wonder why they China would be increasing their defence effort at the pace they are and yet not acknowledging it.

But he added that its development had created "somewhat of a tension" for China's leaders as they coped with new influences and ideas.

Mr Rumsfeld said Beijing would have to make choices between its desire for economic growth and efforts to control foreign influences and access to information.

"Obviously, those of us in the United States and in other countries around the world hope that they make choices towards a more open society," he told reporters.

China has consistently increased its defence spending since the 1990s, but Chinese officials say the increase is needed to modernise its armed forces and pay better salaries.

China also says its budget is dwarfed by US military spending, which last year totalled $440bn.

The US says China's emergence as a major power could alter the military balance in the region.

The US is particularly concerned about a build-up of Chinese missiles pointed at Taiwan, which it has threatened to seize by force if the island moves towards formal independence.

Mr Rumsfeld drew attention to China's arms spending in Singapore in June, and shortly afterwards a Pentagon report estimated that China's military spending was much greater than disclosed.

"I think it's interesting that other countries wonder why they China would be increasing their defence effort at the pace they are and yet not acknowledging it," Mr Rumsfeld said on Tuesday.

"It is almost as interesting as the fact that it is increasing at the pace it is," he said.

Strained ties

Mr Rumsfeld is expected to spell out his views at a speech on Wednesday at a training facility for the Communist Party leadership.

He will also address a military school on Thursday, and hold discussions with his Chinese counterpart, Cao Gangchuan.

It is not just Mr Rumsfeld that has a lot to talk about, according to the BBC correspondent in Beijing, Daniel Griffiths.

China is wary of the considerable US presence in Asia, and ties have also been strained since the collision between an American surveillance plane and a Chinese fighter jet in 2001.

Mr Rumsfeld said he probably would have visited China sooner had it not been for this - this is his first visit since he took office in 2001.

·
Registered
121 Posts
dear renyeo, the article w/ch you posted is exactly what i mean when i say "the pot calling the kettle black". how can a country that spends $440bln on defense complain about another country that spends 20% of that figure? and then has the temerity to say that because it has understated these figures, has fueled suspicions about its motives. this, from a country that OVERSTATED (& i'm being kind here, didn't say fabricated), the threat of wmd's in iraq as a justification for invasion.

"I think it's interesting that other countries wonder why they China would be increasing their defence effort at the pace they are and yet not acknowledging it," Mr Rumsfeld said on Tuesday.

i wonder w/ch other countries he's talking about-didn't see anything from the eu ministers, nothing from the un, silence from the asean ministers, even the japanese were not keen to comment. a case of "whistling in the dark" perhaps?

[/QUOTE]Disproportionate to the pace (time) of development and China's international military commitments or peacekeeping activities, etc.

so what you're saying is that the primary conditions for a country to increase its military spending are; 0ne-that it should first be a first world country, & two-that it has "international military commitments or peacekeeping activities,etc" if this were the case, then the japanese are not spending enough on defense, they have peacekeepers in east timor, & were in iraq for a while; neither are the germans, they're in afghanistan & kosovo; & the u.s.a. is spending way, way, too much because they have no international military commitments other than outright invasion, nor do they participate in any of the un's peacekeeping activities.

i stand corrected. since you were so kind as to reveal the source of your comments, what you said was not mere conjecture, it was what mr. rumsfeld said that was "mere conjecture".

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
renyeo said:
I always prefer neutrality and insists on facts-based analysis but anyone here who thinks the Chinese will overtake Toyota is as good as a wishful, day-dreaming, self-deludging freak. We do not need a rocket scientist or a Michael Porter to tell you that it is not going to happen anytime soon, if at all.....
Food for self deluding thought.....

Which one is produced by Chinese and which one is produced by Toyota?

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
dragin said:
Food for thought.....

Which one is produced by Chinese and which one is produced by Toyota?
The Chinese one is the cheap looking one. The Toyota is the one with a well co-ordinated interior that looks like it won't fall off when you touch it. :D Lol. Toyota should look out though- the Chinese are catching up.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts