China Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on the news that when a license plate with the number 8888 was sold in a bid for 200,000 yuan or about 25,000USD. another plate with numbers 168 was sold for nearly 150,000 yuan.

bidding for license plates cost alot more in Shanghai and beijing. How much does it cost to buy a license plate in a smaller city?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tiggo said:
in smaller cities you bribe the policeman who is in charge of the plate distribution, or he is a friend of yours.....a lot envelop money business.

I don't think there's a lot plate bid in smaller cities anyway.

A shanghai normal auto license plate costs 20 times more expensive than a Parisian counterpart.

That little piece of metal plate costs more than 4,000 EUROS.
Normal plates in Shanghai and beijing don't cost 200000 yuan, that's just for the one with the numbers 8888, I think you can get a regular plate for about 30000 yuan. But's it's less in smaller cities. why do you need give money to corrupt official in a small city when the price for a license plate is much less.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tiggo said:
It's not as dumb as you guys might think.

Basically, the policeman in charge just hides away those plates which have nice number combination like 518, 666, 888 etc and he will give the priority of choosing the number to his friends who know the meaning of "gratitude"! The policemen are very well paid in China comparing to other wage receivers, a rookie police officer got around 100,000 RMB/Year (10,000 EURO) in Xiaoshan (Hangzhou), Zhejiang these days. They don't need a helluva cash, they just want their life to be more comfortable, distributiing favorable numbers to a certain group of people will certainly benefit their future career. That's all about it, no such dumb person would actually ask for money and risk their professional life.

You need around 40,000 RMB to buy a Shanghai plate, that's why quite a lot Shanghainese are regestrering their cars in other regions like Zhejiang and Jiangsu province where the expense is much less expensive, but with a provincial plate in Shanghai sometimes brings about a lot inconvenience. Don't know about the situation in Beijing tho.
I went to guangzhou with my brother, his car had shenzhen plates on it. And we get pulled over by the cops and had to pay a fine when we were going through a bridge, but the fine was only 70 yuan less than what we paid for lunch. But it would be an inconveince to drive in a city without the local plates all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.