China Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is the article.
www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-01-08-bricklin-hybrid_x.htm

He said he is in talk with "15" Chinese car makers. i think that is nonsense. there is only one Chinese car maker can make the kind of car he mentioned. that is BYD, 4 years ago, when BYD enter auto business, it's stock falled sharply. they defend their decision by claim they will make electric car. they have a "double powered" car under R/D for years, which looks like exactly what Bricklin is talking about. i don't think he even need a prototype(i don't think he can do anything significant in 6 month), just buy that "double powered" car from BYD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
add www in front and htm at end the see the article, i do have permission to post url right now.

·
Registered
314 Posts
nice article, but that man bricklin talk from his fanatsy mode, i mean to make the plug in electricity car work, huge amounts investment needs to be made with plug in facility, not every one will be able to not go far from home because they will then run out of juice. Hybrid is the future

·
Registered
135 Posts
The vehicle is suppose to be a plug in Hybrid, as in it uses a lithium-ion battery to increase the battery life over the hybrids today, which is then recharged overnight to increase the distance the hybrid could travel on electric power alone, ultimately boosting the number of miles you could get out of a gallon of fuel. Today there are some lithium-ion plug in conversion kits available for the Toyota Prius. If I recall properly, one conversion that I read about costs about $20,000 and it boosts the Prius's millage to about 80 mpg. Whats so futuristic about Hybrids, in a nut shell they are just electric cars with an on board electric generator and the technology has been used for decades in diesel locomotives. All hybrids in there present application would improve in aerodynamics, battery life, lightening of materials and fuel millage of the engine.
Yeah he probably is in dream mode, when hasn't he been.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/12/turning_the_pri.html

Take a look at this car:
(Please look at the Links)

http://www.audiworld.com/news/01/A2TDI/content.shtml
http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/audi_a2_tdi.php

·
Registered
89 Posts
DOS said:
... Whats so futuristic about Hybrids, in a nut shell they are just electric cars with an on board electric generator and the technology has been used for decades in diesel locomotives. ....

I'm pleased that someone brought this up - this technology is decades old.

It is a great use, don't get me wrong, but every diesel locomotive on the planet has used this technology for 50+ years.

The idea of "plugging in" a a vehicle to "save money" always made me chuckle. The electricity is coming from somewhere, is generated in some way, and is far from free.

·
Registered
481 Posts
but at least it makes the green people happy :D

I've never seen or driven a hybrid/electric car or whatsoever ..
Altho I wish I can someday ...

I dont think we need it here tho ( middle east ) the Fuel is not that expensive .
One Litre of Octane 92 = 1.4 LE = $0.24
My cars tank is 49Ls , so I need about $11.76 to fill it up
My car makes 11.5 KM out of 1 Litre of Fuel .

1 Litre = 0.264 US Gallons
so 1 US gallons = 3.785 Litres

so 1 US gallons of OCT92 would cost : $ 0.908

is that considered cheap in the us ?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
DOS said:
..... Whats so futuristic about Hybrids, in a nut shell they are just electric cars with an on board electric generator and the technology has been used for decades in diesel locomotives.......
Great to see you back DOS! And thanks for the interesting post.

I believe the hybrids will morph into electric cars once they get rid of reliance on the fossil fuel burning engine (ICE) for the torque they need to perform the way consumers expect a car to perform. In the meantime Honda, Toyota and the other hybrid mass producers are garnering rich experience in how to make the electric motor generate that torque.

As for the batteries in hybrids. It's critical not to overcharge them otherwise their life is significantly reduced. Moreover the heat that charging produces has to be efficiently dissipated with fans, etc.. The increased capacity Lithium ion type battery produces yet even greater amounts of heat, as we have learned recently when Sony had problems with them in their laptops.

These are problems that Bricklin's contract builders and others are having to deal with before going to market.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts